Opinions on Newmar Products

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lesh

My husband and I are looking to trade in our 2012 Thor ACE (piece of junk) for something a bit larger and much better quality.  We've done a lot of research and Newmar looks like the company that we want to go with.  From everything we've read and seen, they seem to take more care in putting their products together.  I know that all RVs will have issues, but I don't think its possible for anything to be as bad as our ACE has been.  We really want something that is going to last us a while.  We are not big on trading frequently.

We take monthly weekend trips (in Florida) and a 2 week trip at the holidays (in colder temps, not Florida).  The RV gets used frequently, but we are not full timers.  It would be stored in a warehouse and we always get routine maintenance.

I wanted to see if people had any opinions on Newmar products, specifically the Bay Star and Canyon Star?  We are looking for something around 35'. (we currently have 30').  Anything you wish you had known before your purchase?  Anything that you've found that Newmar does better than other companies?

Thanks! :)

We've been very pleased with our Newmar Ventana 3709. The couple of minor problems were dealt with quickly by the dealer (a shade and a knob). About six months in, our generator failed (under warranty, thankfully), but Cummins fixed it and it's done fine for the last year. All in all, a good rig.

Larry N. said:
We've been very pleased with our Newmar Ventana 3709. The couple of minor problems were dealt with quickly by the dealer (a shade and a knob). About six months in, our generator failed (under warranty, thankfully), but Cummins fixed it and it's done fine for the last year. All in all, a good rig.

Thanks for the reply.  We originally looked at the Ventana as my husband wanted to go diesel and have an all electric coach.  However, I do not like the door being right at the passenger seat and our dogs also sit on the dash when we are driving which doesn't work with the tiny diesel dashes.  I'm glad to hear some positive info about Newmar!

Lesh said:
Thanks for the reply.  We originally looked at the Ventana as my husband wanted to go diesel and have an all electric coach.  However, I do not like the door being right at the passenger seat and our dogs also sit on the dash when we are driving which doesn't work with the tiny diesel dashes.  I'm glad to hear some positive info about Newmar!

You would soon adjust to the door location -- there's a retractable flat floor section over the steps -- but I don't know about dogs. Still, I suspect they'd adjust for themselves, though it might take a short time. Diesel is a considerable benefit in ride (air suspension) and some other features. I have the Oasis (equivalent to Aqua Hot) in mine, and those hydronic heating systems are marvelous. Not only are they quieter than typical propane furnaces, but you have hot water while going down the road (engine heat - they replace water heaters), and when hooked to water and sewer you get all the hot water you want (diesel burner, electric burner) for long showers, even back to back showers. It also adds heated water bays (a thermostat-controlled heat register there).

I'll also mention a couple of other things that influenced us: an actual door (not a small window) for the bedroom emergency exit, and several maintenance conveniences, such as a large battery tray that pulls out making access very easy to the house batteries (my previous coach was a headache -- a couple of hours to add water to batteries vs 5 minutes now) and more.

I actually have a fear of falling out a door while a vehicle is in motion (not sure where it came from, nothing has ever happened :-\) so it would probably take a lot for me to deal with that.  But you do bring up a lot of good points...things that we definitely want to think about before making our next purchase.  I think we rushed the decision a bit  the first time and want to make the right choice this time so we can have the coach for a while.  Thanks so much for all the info!

My premise is that you can judge the overall design & production quality of an RV based on the MSRP for equivalent size & equipment.  Simply put, lower priced rigs have to cut corners somewhere, usually "under the covers" where few buyers will be aware of it. RV manufactures know that the combination of high bling and low price sells.  The RV industry is extremely price competitive, so you can be assured that there will be some shortcomings in a rig that costs $10,000 less than another but has (superficially, anyway) the same equipment and amenities.  There are three areas where it is fairly easy to cut costs without losing the bling that attracts buyers:

1. A less capable chassis, e.g. lower carrying capacity, shorter wheel base, smaller engine & transmission, etc.
2. Lower quality materials used in flooring, upholstery, cabinetry, wall covering, etc.
3. Reduced assembly line time, meaning procedures that are chosen for minimal worker time rather than better results and long term reliability.

Newmar generally does not try to compete at the lowest price levels, so the minimum standards tend to be a bit higher. Still, the Bay Star And Bay Star Sport exist because not everybody is willing to pay the price of a Canyon Star. You need to look past superficial differences and become aware of more hidden differences to determine value vs price.  Not everybody needs a lot of amenities, but better materials and workmanship will usually pay off in the longer term.

Sadly, buying the better made rigs does not guarantee you won't get a "lemon". Even the top-of-the-line manufacturers and models turn out a disturbing number of those every year. There is far too much inconsistency in quality levels throughout the RV industry. Sounds like your Thor ACE may have been one of those.

I know you are looking for positives for Newmar, and I will say that overall they are very good units for the reasons that Gary has so described so well. I was recently making the decision between two quality manufacturers. The only deal breaker for me with a new Dutch Star was their windows.

Newmar has went with "Frameless" window in all of their coaches. Frameless windows are the ones that look to be "floating" on the wall of the rig. The big negative with them is that there is a small portion of the window that flips out, usually at the bottom.  Having owned a rig recently with these style of windows we quickly discovered that they are horrible at moving air into the coach. 

I even called Newmar factory and spoke to a person in ordering if they would change out the windows to a regular slide window and charge me for it. He said that they would not, that those were the only windows that they used. Too bad too as Newmar has a great reputation for customizing a rig any way you want.

For some folks they may not care about such a thing at all.  For us it was huge. And it may not be an issue for you, and if so then Newmar is an excellent choice. 

SargeW said:
I know you are looking for positives for Newmar, and I will say that overall they are very good units for the reasons that Gary has so described so well. I was recently making the decision between two quality manufacturers. The only deal breaker for me with a new Dutch Star was their windows.

Newmar has went with "Frameless" window in all of their coaches. Frameless windows are the ones that look to be "floating" on the wall of the rig. The big negative with them is that there is a small portion of the window that flips out, usually at the bottom.  Having owned a rig recently with these style of windows we quickly discovered that they are horrible at moving air into the coach. 

I even called Newmar factory and spoke to a person in ordering if they would change out the windows to a regular slide window and charge me for it. He said that they would not, that those were the only windows that they used. Too bad too as Newmar has a great reputation for customizing a rig any way you want.

For some folks they may not care about such a thing at all.  For us it was huge. And it may not be an issue for you, and if so then Newmar is an excellent choice.

I am not quite sure what you mean by air movement. When it is nice outside we open the windows and turn on one or all three of the ceiling vents. We get plenty of air moving into the coach.

We love our Dutchstar. Newmar and Freightliner have treated us with respect and timely repairs.

Ken

I have a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire. It's 40' long so it's longer than you want, but I will give you my opinion about Newmar's RVs.  This is my first RV.  I have had it for two months. I am just completing my first long trip in it.  (Actually, I TRIED to complete the trip today, but snowfall, standstill traffic, and wrecks in Valdosta, GA kept me from getting back to FL so I'll try again tomorrow.)  This RV drives incredibly well.  The materials are first class.  I'm making a list of things I want and don't want in my next RV, but I hope to stay with Newmar.  So far, it seems like a great product and this one is 14 years old and has done really well, so far.  I went with Newmar because of all the positive reviews about their products. There were negatives, of course, but when compared to ALL the others, it stood out as the best coach in my price range.  It was either that or get a Tiffin; when it came down to it, the Newmar seemed to edge out Tiffin, so I got the Newmar. 

I'll just caution that comments about ride & handling of Newmar diesel pushers is not very relevant to the original question , which concerned gas chassis Newmars. Ride quality, steering , noise levels etc are much different. Also, since the DPs are well upscale in price vs the gas models, they tend to have other advantages as well.

This reply is coming from  2017 Canyon Star 3710.  We have had it since July and put 7,000 miles on it so far. Our prior unit was a Forest River product (Georgetown 335).  A world of difference.  My navigator commented that we used to see "saw dust" from the overhead cabinet on the dash. (cabinets were made from particle board). No more saw dust.

They use the same engine, but the Newmar product is notably quieter, rides better, and handles better.

Build and component quality is better.  When we have had reason for contacting them, the company is very responsive.  In our opinions is worth the cost difference.

missnmountains said:
I am not quite sure what you mean by air movement. When it is nice outside we open the windows and turn on one or all three of the ceiling vents. We get plenty of air moving into the coach.
Ken

And that's my point Ken. I need no motorized enhancements to move air through the coach. Simply opening the windows is generally sufficient. But that is why I also said that for some folks is was a non-issue. For us, it was. Just our personal preference. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
My premise is that you can judge the overall design & production quality of an RV based on the MSRP for equivalent size & equipment.  Simply put, lower priced rigs have to cut corners somewhere, usually "under the covers" where few buyers will be aware of it. RV manufactures know that the combination of high bling and low price sells.  The RV industry is extremely price competitive, so you can be assured that there will be some shortcomings in a rig that costs $10,000 less than another but has (superficially, anyway) the same equipment and amenities.  There are three areas where it is fairly easy to cut costs without losing the bling that attracts buyers:

1. A less capable chassis, e.g. lower carrying capacity, shorter wheel base, smaller engine & transmission, etc.
2. Lower quality materials used in flooring, upholstery, cabinetry, wall covering, etc.
3. Reduced assembly line time, meaning procedures that are chosen for minimal worker time rather than better results and long term reliability.

Newmar generally does not try to compete at the lowest price levels, so the minimum standards tend to be a bit higher. Still, the Bay Star And Bay Star Sport exist because not everybody is willing to pay the price of a Canyon Star. You need to look past superficial differences and become aware of more hidden differences to determine value vs price.  Not everybody needs a lot of amenities, but better materials and workmanship will usually pay off in the longer term.

Sadly, buying the better made rigs does not guarantee you won't get a "lemon". Even the top-of-the-line manufacturers and models turn out a disturbing number of those every year. There is far too much inconsistency in quality levels throughout the RV industry. Sounds like your Thor ACE may have been one of those.

Thanks so much Gary!  I appreciate you taking the time to share that information.  The biggest issue we are facing right now is the introduction of the 2018 models.  We looked at various Newmars last year, but they were all 2017.  Some of those models are now gone and new ones have been introduced.  I don't love the 35' model in the Canyon Star and we didn't want to go bigger which is why we were looking at the Bay Star.  The Ventana is what we were originally looking at but I'm not sure I can get past the entrance door placement and dash, however the LE 3436 is very promising.  I would love to be able to afford a Dutch Star or New Aire, but that isn't happening at this time so we just want to find the best product we can in our price range.

SargeW said:
The only deal breaker for me with a new Dutch Star was their windows.

I am with you 100%!  I do not like the frameless windows.  Most RVs seemed to switch to that right after we bought ours in 2012.  I grew up with the slide windows and I love them!  Not only is it convenient to slide open a window to hand someone something, but you need it for airflow.  Yes, I will admit that I haven't used a coach with the frameless windows, but It just seems to me that their would be an issue as you can only prop open the windows.  I agree that frameless has a more sleek look, but it seems to lack functionality.  All the brands/models that we have looked at have these windows so I figured I would just have to accept them.  I'm not sure why they decided to switch windows all of a sudden...the side windows have been around since the beginning right?  My grandparents 1979 Winnebago Chieftan had them.

SebastianFL said:
I have a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire. It's 40' long so it's longer than you want, but I will give you my opinion about Newmar's RVs.  This is my first RV.  I have had it for two months. I am just completing my first long trip in it.  (Actually, I TRIED to complete the trip today, but snowfall, standstill traffic, and wrecks in Valdosta, GA kept me from getting back to FL so I'll try again tomorrow.)  This RV drives incredibly well.  The materials are first class.  I'm making a list of things I want and don't want in my next RV, but I hope to stay with Newmar.  So far, it seems like a great product and this one is 14 years old and has done really well, so far.  I went with Newmar because of all the positive reviews about their products. There were negatives, of course, but when compared to ALL the others, it stood out as the best coach in my price range.  It was either that or get a Tiffin; when it came down to it, the Newmar seemed to edge out Tiffin, so I got the Newmar.

This is great to hear!  It's always nice to get an opinion on an older model since we plan on keeping ours for a while.  We've seen quite a few older Mountain Aire and Dutch Stars on our last few camping trips, but haven't seen the owners to ask their opinion.  I'm glad yours is working out so well.  Good luck wrapping up your trip.  Stay  safe in the cold/snow/ice!

Wasoki said:
This reply is coming from  2017 Canyon Star 3710.  We have had it since July and put 7,000 miles on it so far. Our prior unit was a Forest River product (Georgetown 335).  A world of difference.  My navigator commented that we used to see "saw dust" from the overhead cabinet on the dash. (cabinets were made from particle board). No more saw dust.

They use the same engine, but the Newmar product is notably quieter, rides better, and handles better.

Build and component quality is better.  When we have had reason for contacting them, the company is very responsive.  In our opinions is worth the cost difference.

Thanks Jim.  I'm glad to hear first hand that the research we have done is true.  The price increase seems to be well worth it!  Congrats on making the upgrade and being happy with your purchase.  I hope we can make the switch to a coach we are happy with in the next few months.

I would love to be able to afford a Dutch Star or New Aire, but that isn't happening at this time so we just want to find the best product we can in our price range.

Don't buy a new one. Forget the used car mentality - you are shopping for a house, not a car.  Condition is the key, not new vs "previously owned".

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Don't buy a new one. Forget the used car mentality - you are shopping for a house, not a car.  Condition is the key, not new vs "previously owned".

What kind of warranties are available on a used RV?  I haven't looked at any used Newmars, but some used RVs I've been in at shows smelled so horrible and were not that well maintained so I've shied away.

You don't get a "warranty", but you can buy an extended service plan that pays for several types of repairs.

Buying used requires that you do shop broadly enough to find rigs in good condition. Obviously they are not all well-maintained and RV dealers are notoriously poor on pre-sale prep & detailing. Most of them just fix whatever the buyer requests, even though they claim they "check it all out". Hard to imagine a dealer that would show a rig that is smelly, but I've seen (and smelled) worse. But there are many excellent ones out there. People get out of RVing for a variety of reasons, e.g. health, financial, or simply just a change in their recreational desires.

As you already know, buying new is no guarantee of a trouble-free experience either.

SargeW said:
The only deal breaker for me with a new Dutch Star was their windows.
When we got our trailer, it only came with frameless windows. I was really concerned about ventilation. Now that I have them I really like them. I can leave them open in all but a heavy wind-driven rain. I do have to turn on the fan to get good air movement through the trailer, but that is t much of a sacrifice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom