Generator not supplying current to the coach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shayne said:
Carson I Agree with you I've mentioned that same thing only different wording twice in this thread.  Wish we had a picture of his genset it's more than likely near it.

I'll try to take a pic of the genset compartment tomorrow and upload it.

Woody

If the generator and shore power cables are hardwired together without a switch, it would be catastrophic if the generator were ever started while shore power was plugged in. Sparks would fly and/or appliances would go up in smoke.  I cannot believe there is no switch or some sort of failsafe device to prevent this. Whatever and wherever this device is, it is most likely the source of the problem.

I assume, Woody, you have used the generator successfully in the past?

Yes, the generator has worked fine in the past.
Here is a pic of the control panel.

Woody

Attachments

• Xmas06 031.jpg
    Xmas06 031.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 39
I don't remember if this was discussed.  You have 2 circuit breaker on the right side  They are in the back of the air cleaner  You have to reach back and find them.  Maybe they are tripped.  while genset running  reach back and reset.  I had to do that on one a couple of times a  Once I had to reset it 3 times and then all was well. Worth a try  Sometimes they don't reset very easily.

I've rest those two breakers several times, not sure if I did it with the genset running but I will try that tomorrow. Heck, I'll try anything to keep from having to take it to the Onan service place.

Woody

I'm happy to report that the problem is fixed. I now have juice from the genset to the coach. One of two things fixed it. I reset the breakers a couple of times like Shayne recommended and also unplugged the white plug you can see on the side of the control panel and plugged it back in. We had unplugged this plug last fall when we were working on the genset and may not have gotten it fully plugged back in or the contacts may have been corroded a little. Its also possible that, like Shayne said, that the breakers were not resetting until I flipped them with the genset running.
Regardless, it is OK now and I'm happy to have avoided a repair bill.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. This forum is truly one of the best on the Web.

Woody

Hot Doggie   Thats the way to trace it down.   The old theory that start at point 1 and go down the list and don't forget anything.  If that don't work start at point 1 and continue not missing a point.  HOO RAY  for Woody  glad you cracked the code. LOL  Just knew it had to be in that area

Since I posted my last note I've noticed that although current is on in the coach the genset goes off when I try to run both front and rear AC's. Didn't used to do that. It is possible that one of those two 30amp breakers is still not resetting I suppose. It isn't much of a problem as I rarely use both on genset anyway and only one works when on shorepower. I will have to flip them off and on and see if it helps. Could it be possible that one feeds the microwave and the front AC and the other feeds the rear AC ??

Woody

Woody  Most 30Amp services have alternating A/Cs . One will go into the shed mode and then they will alternate.  And yes It's possible that the one breaker is not as strong as the other.  Not being an Electric expert I can't give the specifics on breakers but I have seen where breakers were replaced and then the items worked fine.  Some of the guys may know more about them.

Most 30Amp services have alternating A/Cs . One will go into the shed mode and then they will alternate.

If the generator is large enough to handle two a/cs, the rear a/c will often be wired to run direct from the genset when it is running. My 96 Southwind worked that way, even though it was a 30A rig and had automatic load shedding for shore power.

What I have is a switch in one of the front cabinets that lets me select either the front AC or the rear when I am on 30amp shorepower, but both work when the genset is running, or at least they used to.
I'm going to play around with the breakers tomorrow and turn one off and see if the stuff in the front of the coach works and then alternate with the other one. This should tell me whether each one serves different appliances.
It really throws me too that these breaker switch don't click like a normal breaker, they just smoothly go from one position to the other. I've also noticed that the top breaker says CB-1 Breaker 30 Amp and the bottom one says CB-2 Breaker 30 Amp.

Woody

I got to flipping breaker switches today and found out what I suspected was true. The top breaker on the panel provides the first 30amp of the power, the bottom breaker provides an additional 30 amp. When I turn the top breaker off nothing will work in the coach, when I turn the bottom breaker off and leave the top on everything works but just one AC will work, the same as it does on 30 amp shorepower (if flip the AC selector switch inside I can use either of the AC's by itself.
It sounds like either the bottom breaker is bad or there is a break in the wiring between it and the breaker panel inside the coach.
I guess its time to get out the multimeter but I'm not very knowledgeable in its use.

Woody

Woody,

It sounds to me like your circuit breakers are working the way they are suppose to--at least like mine are designed to work. The "main" CB provides power to your main circuit panel. The "other" CB ONLY provides power to the rear A.C. or at least to only one A.C.

The A.C. selector switch lets you select either the front or rear A.C. when you are connected to shore power OR the genset via the "Main" CB (turn it OFF and you have no power the the RV, except that the rear A.C. is always powered if the CB is closed). My selector switch is labeled "Front" and "Rear." The "Other CB" on the genset controls only the rear A.C., it is not intended to provide power to the main circuit panel.

It looks to me like everything is working normally.

Richard

Hi Richard,

It has been my understanding that the Front/Rear switch which is located in one of my front cabinets is just to use with shorepower. Genset power bypasses this switch. In the past when I have had the genset on and not plugged into shorepower both AC's would work off of the 70 amp generator. This makes sense since each AC pulls about 17-20 amps at startup and then about 15 amps thereafter.
In my case even if I have the switch set to Rear AC it will not work when just the second breaker is turned on, it will if just the first one is but not the second.

Woody

Hi, i'm new to the forum.  I have read this thread and was wondering if anyone ever found the transfer switch.  I have a 1996 Raven XL(built by Firan, only made two years)  I have the same problem of no power when the genset , (onan marquis 7000),  is running.  I have checked the circuit breakers.  I thought that maybe the transfer switch was built into converter/charger, but it doesn't sound like that is the case.  Does anyone know which wires on the generator are the actual 120v wires?  I checked the wires coming out of the right side but there wasn't 120v there.  I don't know if I have the right ones. 
Thanks,
Art

Are you sure you have a transfer switch?  Is there an outlet near where the power cord is stored that it would plug into?

There's not an outlet on that Genset Ned so there must be a transfer switch but I never found mine. I put my troubles down to the second circuit breaker on the side of the genset not resetting since at first I had no power and after flipping both of them several times I finally got one to reset and provide power. All I have is half the power (can only run one a/c at a time) but that hasn't been a problem so far. In one of my earlier msgs I pointed out that with the front breaker on I can run one a/c but if I turn it off and flip the back one on nothing will work so it almost has to be that breaker.
I know eventually this is something I have to deal with but have put it off so far  ......

Woody

Woody,  On my Bounder, which probably has the same intellitec power distribution panel as your Pace, the normal/main transfer switch is mounted to the rear of that panel.  Behind the DC fuses.  There is another transfer switch, the one you are looking for, stuffed in that same cabinet above the refrigerator. 

Maybe mine is up there just because I have the ECC instead of the switch arrangement, I'm not sure.  The symptoms you mention sure sound like a malfunctioning transfer switch.  According to my wiring diagrams, that second breaker on the generator (mine is a 5K, so may be different) does nothing else but feed the second A/C.

I have always run the genny without plugging anything in so it must have a ATS.  At $110.00 per hour labor charges at a dealership, I really would like to find the problem myself.  If I can determine if the genset is working then I will look at the transfer switch.  I just haven't figured out which wires actually supply 120v to the camper.  Are they the ones that come out near the breakers or do they come from somewhere else?  Another question I was wondering about,  is it possible to upgrade a 30A system to a 50 or 60 amp system? and if it is possible, what would be involved in doing so?

Back
Top Bottom