Internet While Staying in One Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DSMcCullough

I am tryin to convince my husband to move from our current living situation to an RV the one thing stopping him is internet service. We wouldn?t move around a lot for a good couple of years as we are still working in town. Is there anyway for me to get internet from local internet services in my camper? Would I have to talk to the RV Park? I am trying to plan everything out before we start and want to make sure I have an answer to everything before we get to the point. Would I have to convert anything or install anything new?

Wireless carriers have internet.  What do you need?  Stream Movies, or browse with iPad?  I would start looking at Sprint and ATT

We?re a household of nerds. I?m trying to talk him into not needing it altogether but figured I?d try. And of course with the gaming consoles now a days we also use our console in order to use Netflix and Hulu.

I live in a fifth wheel full time in a park in Florida and getting Internet access is as easy as calling CenturyLink and signing up. But first you have to ask at the office if that is allowed in that park. Costs me $33 a month for a 10 gig line.

SeilerBird said:
I live in a fifth wheel full time in a park in Florida and getting Internet access is as easy as calling CenturyLink and signing up. But first you have to ask at the office if that is allowed in that park. Costs me $33 a month for a 10 gig line.

I could get Century Link in My town but how do they wire that into your fifth wheel? Or is it a dish? I will definelty ask the park as well.

DSMcCullough said:
I could get Century Link in My town but how do they wire that into your fifth wheel? Or is it a dish? I will definelty ask the park as well.
Not a dish, you could not pay me to have satellite service again. They dug a ditch, ran a wire and drilled a hole in the back of the RV to run the wire inside. Put an outlet cover to stop moisture from entering. It is no problem for the installers, they are used to wiring up residences that don't have wiring in place already.

Sweet, I will probably have to speak to both the park and the local internet service providers in town to see who could do that for me. Thanks!

And how did ou go abouts asking them if you could do this? I?m about to start asking around but wasn?t quite sure how to ask them.

But the RV Park, I am sure I will have to ask them if it is ok with them. What would I say to them about getting it done? Just ask if they will allow me to have a local internet provider hook up internet in my trailer?

DSMcCullough said:
But the RV Park, I am sure I will have to ask them if it is ok with them. What would I say to them about getting it done? Just ask if they will allow me to have a local internet provider hook up internet in my trailer?
All you need to do is see if there is permanent residents in the park. If so then many will have either cable, Internet or both hooked up. If the park did not allow it then there would be a massive strain on the park wifi system.

DSMcCullough said:
And how did ou go abouts asking them if you could do this? I?m about to start asking around but wasn?t quite sure how to ask them.

Call the park and ask if they allow cable Internet hookups by the cable company.

Search for long term parking.. Many RV parks offer Wi-FI (open not encrypted anyone can see you and hack you) such as it is (often low bandwidth)  But some LONG TERM parks will let you run your own cable or phone line to your RV ... Some parks already have cable and depending on the system you MAY be able to hook up a cable modem at your site,, Some systems can not do that.

But the key is to call the park and find out if you are not planning on moving.

ALT... Even if that is the case there are a couple of services where you can subscribe even if there is no phone line (DSL) or cable from miles around

Mobile: Hughes (NOT GEN whatever but the older service) you can access from dang near anywhere USA and you can set it up as your self once properly trained.

EXCEED. if you are not moving, this one offers different plans some of which are good enough to stream video.  Sample

Google: Ham Nation.

Episodes featuring Bob Heil (most of them) K9EID    Bob uses Exceed internet to stream video, Multiple streams incoming and one outgoing during the show. It is live tonight at 9pm Eastern by the way. 

No matter if you are interested in Ham Radio... Watch an episode so you can see how well Exceed works for BOB.  You can also contact him (Address on screen during show or http://www.heilsound.com ) and he will answer questions when he has the time.

Bob is a member of the Rock and Roll hall of fame.. he plays Theater Organ.

A totally different approach is to see if the area the park is located in is served by a WISP (a wireless internet service provider).  These are companies throughout the US that provide internet service via radio frequency signals (wifi) particularly in more rural areas where cable isn't available.  Receiving a WISP's signal can be as simple as erecting a small, innocuous antenna only a few inches in size.  Depending on the WISP download speeds can be as high as~100Mbps.  As an example, the RV park in Rockport TX where we own a site and spend the winters isn't served by cable, but a local WISP provides ~5-10Mbps service for ~$35/mo.  It's not super fast, but it's quite capable of supporting streaming and other similar uses.

DSMcCullough said:
We?re talking using video gaming consoles, gaming online.

Ooh that may be a tough sell for the RV life. It's probably doable, but I bet it would be expensive.

Purchased a very old ?grandfathered? unlimited Verizon account via an AOL ?Assumption of Liability? for $1,000 as we burn 200-300GB a month as fulltimers. It is ?truly? unlimited. Only pay $40 monthly for service and we are very happy and rely on no one else for internet.

You just call the provider and have it installed. Some refuse to drill holes in your rig.

You can drill your own hole, you can bring it through the slide floor or some can use cable and hook it into your cable hookup.

Many internet providers don't even require contracts anymore.

Plenty of long termers in RV parks have their own internet wired in.

I have internet at my site, no contract, $49 a month unlimited and they supply the modem for me with wifi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom