Help Trouble Shooting No Power to Receptacle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo

We were plugged into shore power with all electrical components working.  My wife plugged in an appliance and no power.  She said when she plugged it in, there was no pop, sparks or any telltale sign of a problem.  When she turned it on was when she found no power.  Said appliance did work on another outlet.  So here is what I checked, first I plugged in a receptacle tester and no lights, plugged in to all other outlets and it indicated they were all working correctly as does everything in fact.  So I pulled the receptacle out and found the hot wire was loose, so I thought problem solved.  The receptacle is one where the wire sheathing is  pierced and the bare portion makes contact with the receptacle connections.  It did not look like a secure connection, so I bought a new receptacle with the more secure screw and push in the back connectors and still no power.  So then I suspected a loose connection at the power panel and did not find any loose connections, all connections were secure.  So now at a loss, any suggestions of what to check next would be appreciated

If resetting the GFI doesn't fix it, perhaps the next receptacle up the line has a bad connection.

lynnmor said:
If resetting the GFI doesn't fix it, perhaps the next receptacle up the line has a bad connection.

Or the GFI receptacle is bad.  I had to replace one of mine on my last trip out.

I forgot to mention the receptacle in question is not a GFI, but I did check the one GFI I know of and it was not tripped and had power to it.  Also the receptacle was working a few days prior to our trip this weekend. I also forgot to mention when I tested for A/C voltage with my multimeter directly on the wires without the receptacle, the voltage read .60 with circuit breakers on and when off 0.02

Thanks for all the helpful replies.  This is a new truck camper and we are still learning the locations and operations of everything.  After reading all the suggestions for checking GFI, a light bulb went off in my head and recalled over the weekend I had to disconnect the water hose and when I did, water pressure being released sprayed water in the general area of the water connection, so I looked around and found a outdoor GFI receptacle up under the portion of the tc that sits above the truck bed rail and very close to the water connection, so unless you know to look for it it was not obvious.  I found no power to it and once resetting it, I had power there and at the problem receptacle within the unit.  Again thank you all.

Gizmo said:
  So I pulled the receptacle out and found the hot wire was loose, so I thought problem solved.  The receptacle is one where the wire sheathing is  pierced and the bare portion makes contact with the receptacle connections.  It did not look like a secure connection, so I bought a new receptacle with the more secure screw and push in the back connectors and still no power.

I don't know how that could happen, that's an SCD type receptacle, and their supposed to be bullet proof, that's why they use them in RV's. (anyone noting my sarcasm here?) ;D

kdbgoat said:
I don't know how that could happen, that's an SCD type receptacle, and their supposed to be bullet proof, that's why they use them in RV's. (anyone noting my sarcasm here?) ;D

LOL!  I agree.  This was the first time I pulled a RV receptacle so I was surprised and not impressed.

With those SCD outlets.. I've had one overheat from a heavy load (replaced it to be safe and installed a proper heavy duty outlet next to it with 12 ga wire bent around a screw rom a dedicated breaker).

I have had two stranded to solid wire wire nutted connections fail.. They don't fail (again) after I solder them.

About GFCI's.. Either ACE or True Value (I think the latter) sells a small kind of rubbgery plastic plug'/socket (pass through device) with a neon light inside it. You plug it into your GFCI and then plug into it.  Light on  All good. Light off either GFCI or the circuit breaker feeding it has tripped.  I have 3 of them in my RV (plus a night light) One is L-1. NON GFCI one L-2, likewise

And the othe two are on the GFCI's

John From Detroit said:
About GFCI's.. Either ACE or True Value (I think the latter) sells a small kind of rubbgery plastic plug'/socket (pass through device) with a neon light inside it. You plug it into your GFCI and then plug into it.  Light on  All good. Light off either GFCI or the circuit breaker feeding it has tripped.  I have 3 of them in my RV (plus a night light) One is L-1. NON GFCI one L-2, likewise

And the othe two are on the GFCI's

That is helpful to know, thanks for sharing the tip my wife might appreciate the instant feedback.

Gizmo said:
I looked around and found a outdoor GFI receptacle up under the portion of the tc that sits above the truck bed rail and very close to the water connection, so unless you know to look for it it was not obvious.  I found no power to it and once resetting it, I had power there and at the problem receptacle within the unit.

Glad you found the problem and it was a easy fix. Our outdoor kitchen has a small fridge which is GFCI protected by the outlet in the bathroom. I understand why it's on a GFCI circuit but I really wish I could reset it outside. The first time the fridge seemed warm after setting up camp, it took a while for the light bulb to go off over my head and I eventually traced it back to the bathroom outlet. Each time we set up camp, I have to remind myself to check the GFCI as it seems to trip very easily.

Back
Top Bottom