Bug problem that bugs me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RedandSilver said:
Oh there's the problem.  Ever hear - you get what you pay for?  Try at least once, buying the most expensive food available and see if that makes a difference.
Yes I have heard that and I have never believed it for a second. I buy all my food based on how the poop looks. If an animal has normal looking poop then the food is correct. If there is problems with the food then it shows up in the poop first.

As far as returning to the same spot either there might be a low in that spot or there is a trace of something drawing them there.
Except this problem occurred with two different feeding dishes that were two different sizes.

Can you put the metal part in the oven at high temp to kill any trace or microscopic subjects that are drawing them to that area?
One again it happened on two different bowls.

Also just to be clear - do these bugs appear everyday?  Do the Cats finish the food in less than 12 hours?
Have you tried smaller amounts of food (but maybe more often if you want the Cats to have the same amount everyday) with the same results?
I fill up their feeder and the food lasts about a week. I have always free fed (full food bowl 24/7) all my animals all my life. They generally return within a few days.

RedandSilver said:
This coming from the guy that bought a Pixel 2 for almost a Grand?  ;D ;D ;D

We are just the opposite. We buy expensive dog food (damn dog has allergies to almost everything) and take pictures with the free phone that came with the plan.

RedandSilver said:
This coming from the guy that bought a Pixel 2 for almost a Grand?  ;D ;D ;D
Yep. I never claimed that I got my moneys worth, I only said it has the best camera in a phone at the moment. Go shopping at Amazon and you will find many items for sale by Amazon that are much cheaper than that same item is at a boutique electronics store. So how can two identical items priced differently be getting what you paid for it? Here is a great example of not 'getting what you paid for it'. It is an auction listing on eBay for the very first US Beatles album called Introducing the Beatles on VeeJay. Buy it now price is $841. It is a counterfeit. So the buyer is really getting screwed. It is basically worthless to any real Beatles collector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTRODUCING-THE-BEATLES-1960S-LP-FACTORY-SEALED-STEREO-FACTORY-SEALED/391944071746?hash=item5b41afea42:g:v2kAAOSwZaFZ0ai3

Your cats might be carriers.  Could the bugs be some kind of mites?  A vet should be able to determine if the cats are infested.

Molaker said:
Your cats might be carriers.  Could the bugs be some kind of mites?  A vet should be able to determine if the cats are infested.
The cats do have a few fleas, in fact I ordered the Advantage today. But they are not infested with anything.

Do you buy the food from the same store?  If so, try another, might be the store has the bugs...

jackiemac said:
Do you buy the food from the same store?  If so, try another, might be the store has the bugs...
The food has come from many different stores. You are missing the point. I don't care about where the bugs come from, nor do I really care about how to kill them. I am wondering why they return to the exact same spot generation after generation and even when I change food dishes and move to a different site.

Because they're in the dry cat food when you buy it. Real simple.

kdbgoat said:
Because they're in the dry cat food when you buy it. Real simple.
As I have said many times I don't care where the bugs come from. I wonder why generation after generation they inhabit the same spot. The cat food comes from many different sources so they cannot come from the food.

SeilerBird said:
The food has come from many different stores. You are missing the point. I don't care about where the bugs come from, nor do I really care about how to kill them. I am wondering why they return to the exact same spot generation after generation and even when I change food dishes and move to a different site.

Wild guess here, but if all things are the same I would say temperature. Regardless of the bowl, if it's positioned in the same spot religiously the only variable would be temperature. Maybe there is a hot/cool spot that is attractive for the critters. Of course this all goes out the window if the bowl is placed in different areas.

Corky 

Do you pour the entire bag of food into the feeder? If not, where do keep the opened bag? As to why the bugs keep appearing in the same spot time after time, not sure anyone here can answer that. You live in Florida. I was born and raised in Florida. Bugs, like humidity and Yankees  :) are A way of life if you live in Florida. You may just have to learn to live with them.

Corky said:
Wild guess here, but if all things are the same I would say temperature. Regardless of the bowl, if it's positioned in the same spot religiously the only variable would be temperature. Maybe there is a hot/cool spot that is attractive for the critters. Of course this all goes out the window if the bowl is placed in different areas.

Corky
It has been in three different rooms and in two different RVs.

Oldgator73 said:
Do you pour the entire bag of food into the feeder? If not, where do keep the opened bag? As to why the bugs keep appearing in the same spot time after time, not sure anyone here can answer that. You live in Florida. I was born and raised in Florida. Bugs, like humidity and Yankees  :) are A way of life if you live in Florida. You may just have to learn to live with them.
I sometimes buy five pound bags and toss it all in or buy larger bags and use it for a few fills.

I am not complaining about the bugs. This is Florida, bug capitol of the world. I love it here. Birds eat bugs and I am a bird photographer so I know that the reason there are so many birds in Florida is because of so many bugs. I just want to know why they end up in the exact same spot.

Just about anything made with dry grain will have bugs in it. Including human food.

https://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/pantrypests304.shtml

kdbgoat said:
Just about anything made with dry grain will have bugs in it. Including human food.

https://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/pantrypests304.shtml
I know that. I am trying to figure out why they keep returning to the same spot.

SeilerBird said:
I know that. I am trying to figure out why they keep returning to the same spot.

Are you trying to figure out why they return to the same spot?  :eek:

Have you tried wiping up the area with soap and water.  Maybe some grease spilled there, then they find the food?  Also, try some Terro liquid ant bait.  If they like the smell, it has Borax in it, they will eat, return to the nest (I would assume under your cabinets or in some container you have moved from Rig to Rig) and kill them.  I know they are not ants, but I've had great lick with Borax on little unknown bugs.

Starting to understand the question now, but as "same spot", do you mean the food bowl as the "same spot", or if you move the food bowl to a different location in your fiver, the bugs go where the food bowl was originally?

Back
Top Bottom