SMARTPLUG Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ysidive

Has anyone updated the electrical connections to the New SMARTPLUG?  If so how difficult was it to change.. I have watched the you tube videos on the conversion kit that is sold, but want to know if it is really as easy as they make it look.... Seems a lot better than the twist lock and the annoying threaded ring that always seems to want to cross thread... I would appreciate any input from anyone who has actually converted the the new system of SMARTPLUG..

This is the first time I have seen this product, so I have no first hand experience.  Thank you for asking!  It looks like a great design!  I have made a note about this!

I read the write up on the 30 amp model... Other than the "increased contact area" (They do not say over what) I see no advantages to it.

But then I have a 50 amp rig.. and the one I looked at was 30. Did not see one for 50.. Do you have a link?

Also, I like that my Marinco LOCKS firmly in place, no danger o pulling it out by accident.

John, did you look at the Smart Plug website?  It answers your questions.

To me, it looks like a much cleaner design than the Marinco with it's cumbersome twist lock ring and exposed grounding tab.

Google is your friend. Here's the link:

http://smartplug.com

X2 Lou!!

Their 20X claim is vs the commonly used twist lock type RV / Marine plugs.
They are available in 3 wire 30A and 4 wire 50A models.
They securely latch in place.
They are MUCH easier to align correctly on the first try, and I assume easier to plug in.
They are a bit expensive.

I learned this from the web site.

Available on Amazon and E Bay

I will check it out when I have more bandwidth, (I'm  back in the SLOW park). however I have several devices that use latches much like the ones there.. When they work that is.. Saved much on hair cuts because one did not latch.

Much of my background is from boats. Shore power plugs are the No.1 cause of fires in boat.

Installed a 30amp Smart Plug on our TT  and used a 50' Smart Plug cord.  To my disappointment I learn temperature disconnect on the (female) trailer side does not protect the pole (male) side. On 2 occasion pole side cord ends were replaced. Despite the issues at the pole there was never any issue with the plug or receptacle on the trailer side. If we still had a trailer with 30amp power I'd do it again but I'd make my own cord.

We have a 5th now and I just installed a 50am receptacle (for shore power and generator) at the front. I didn't use a Smart Plug because we have a Progressive HW50C EMS that allows us to keep track of the load on the 2 power legs.

Back
Top Bottom