generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pv

I've been dragging travel trailers around the country for the last 20 yrs. I now find a need for a generator for my new 5th wheel.  A freak snow storm knocked out all power in Franklin NC (1st week in Dec) and of course my LP didn't work.  I'm new with generators and am learning many different models etc., etc...  Any over the road experience would certainly be appreciated.  thanx pv

Well, you need one large enough to supply the power (watts) you typically use. However,  the ratings on some gensets fall somewhat short of truth in advertising ideals. They may advertise "peak" capacity (limited time) rather than a lower "sustained" (long time) number, and that amount may only be available at 240v, where as many RVs can utilize only 120v sources.  If your trailer has a 30A shore power cord, you need a 120v outlet on the genset and can only use the max available watts from that one outlet. That's often a 15A or 20A outlet, so at 120v that's 1800-2400 watts.  Usually plenty as long as you aren't air conditioning or heating with it. But you probably want a space heater right now...

Usually portability is a concern on trailer gensets. You have to store it somewhere and carry it out when needed. Weight and size are a factory.

Have a Champion 50 amp Gen I bought from Cabellas and works as advertised.  Been through several hurricanes without power and use/used my campers for refuge when needed.

Given the dates you mention for the storm, I assume that you are no longer shivering in the cold. 

While a generator is a fine accessory to have, might I suggest that getting your propane system fixed is a higher priority in dealing with the situation you mention? Heating with electricity takes a huge generator, as Gary mentions. Propane is a much better way of heating.

Frank.

a lot of good info, and yes fixing the LP is top priority, but losing it in cold weather certainly gives me pause and makes me think of a solid backup system. Not anxious about the weight of a good generator or having it bounce around in the bk of my p/up. the noise is another concern, especially in many of the national parks we frequent? but please keep the comments coming, sleeping with a 70lb goldie and our winter jackets under a down comforter is not my idea of camping or glamping.... pv   

A 2400 watt genset like the Yamaha 2400is would work fine for a typical 1500 watt space heater (plus some miscellaneous loads) and isn't real heavy (around 75 lbs).  Noise isn't bad either, though any genset that is actually producing 1500-2000 watts is going to make some noise.  It is limited to a 20A outlet and won't run most RV air conditioners, though.

https://www.yamahagenerators.com/Yamaha-EF2400iSHC-p/ef2400ishc.htm

I have a Honda 2000 at 47# and run a 1500 watt heater with it quite often.  Actually I both both Honda 2000 and can hock them together and  then have 30a power coming out of them.

A search on this topic using the search feature in this forum will yield other threads where this has also been discussed with some good info.

Here is one where I shared my thoughts on a Briggs and Stratton P3000 inverter generator we purchased last year.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,106601.msg959649.html#msg959649

Generators come in 3 flavors.
Contractor's models.  Open frame, Noisy but you can easily get 3500 or 4500 (3600 is 30 amps) however I've seen the power out displayed on a 'scope and some of them can be................. Scary  These the engine usually runs at 3600 RPM

RV type (Onan or Genrac) also whole house fixed generators.. Not really designed to be portasble but the RV types are "installed"  Not nearly as noisy either to the ear or to the electronics. Much cleaner output  Generally the enginre runs at 3600/N (1200 or 1800)

Inverter: Very quiet, Very efficient fuel wise, VERY VERY Clean.. BUT

Generally the model number is the PEAK power.  BUT you can parallel them  A Pair of Honda EU-2000i, in parallel (or one regular and one companion, they make two models) can provide a solid 30 amps.. A 3,000 can not.

Makes: I cited only Onan, Generac and Honda but there are others in all categories,  At one time some of the "Knockoff" Inverter models had some serious issues with regulation but far as I know they have addressed most of them and today they all compete.  HONDA has the best service network should you need service. YAHAMA is #2, others you may have issues indi9ng service if needed. (in the inverter class) ONAN and GENERAC also have good service networks.

Finally some generic stufr..  Generator Exhaust can kill you, Make sure the Generator is not blowing exhaust into the RV or house,

Generators like to run.. A new generator (portable) OTHER THAN THE INVERTER types you may want to run a tank o gas tyhrough it with only a resistive load (lights or heaters) before hooking electronics to it (Story ollows)  Inverter modelds  this "Break in" is not needed.

:Run the Generator 1/2 Hour under at least 1/2 load (heaters work well) every month.

The story
I own a Generac 1000, Traditional generator, ullyu enclosded, grew legs and walked o (Got stolen) but when I first powered it up an APC UPS complained, Both Frequency and voltage were good (per a meter) dso the only thing left weas waveform.

After the first tank of gas.. APC was happy.. Some electronics need to be "Conditioned" and the half hour a month does that.

Finally a word about HONDA inverter models.. They have a genuine FUEL PUMP (Most are gravity feed) so they can suck gas out of an eternal tank.. Called an Extended Run Tank.

If noise is a concern, an inverter model will be much quieter. They also idle down and save gas under lighter loads.
Honda and Yamaha are great, but Champion Power Equipment makes nice generators for about half the price.
I have a Champion inverter that is 1700w running 2000w surge. It won't run an RV air conditioner, but will run most everything else in my travel trailer. (you can also get 2 and link them together with a parallel kit).
Champion also makes some larger inverter models in the 3500w range that will run an ac unit and are still plenty quiet.

And no, I don't work for them, just a happy owner that has gotten good service and reliability from my Champion, and I couldnt afford the Honda or Yamaha prices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom