Shocks effect on steering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

I went to have some tire work done today on my MH and while the front wheels were off I noticed that the front shocks looked very old and worn. I also noticed when I took it out for a drive after the work was done, (the first time I have had a chance to get it up to 60) that it was quite squirrely at 60. Would new shocks help with the handling or is that the nature of the beast? We did also have 15 mph winds today.

Shocks only effect steering when the front wheels bounce, as in a pothole or RR track bump. It does not make for "squirrelly" handling. There are things that can be done to improve older gas chassis coaches like yours, starting with an alignment tune-up and optimal tire pressure.  And since it is an older Chevy chassis, there's a good chance the front air bags are leaking and not at the proper air pressure.

You might want to peruse my Library article on Motorhome Handling - see http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/MH_Steering_Handling_%20Primer.pdf

I think you answered your own question when you commented about 15 mph winds. You should wait for a calm day before making any decisions about shocks, etc. A 15 mph wind blowing crosswise, headon, from the tail, etc., can play havoc with the brick you're driving down the road.

Brand new tires inflated to the maximum will cause squirrelly handling.

Had the same problem after new front tires were installed and inflated to 110 pounds. Drove 230 miles on the freeway with them at that pressure. Not too fun.

Reset them them to the Michelin recommended pressure for my coach and the problem went away.

So check the pressure and set it to what the tire manufacturers chart recommends for your weight.   

Arch Hoagland said:
Brand new tires inflated to the maximum will cause squirrelly handling.

Had the same problem after new front tires were installed and inflated to 110 pounds. Drove 230 miles on the freeway with them at that pressure. Not too fun.

Reset them them to the Michelin recommended pressure for my coach and the problem went away.

So check the pressure and set it to what the tire manufacturers chart recommends for your weight. 

Thanks, this might be my problem. The sign on my MH wall says to inflate fronts at 65 and rears at 60 but the tire shop inflated all to the max 85 for the tire.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Shocks only effect steering when the front wheels bounce, as in a pothole or RR track bump. It does not make for "squirrelly" handling. There are things that can be done to improve older gas chassis coaches like yours, starting with an alignment tune-up and optimal tire pressure.  And since it is an older Chevy chassis, there's a good chance the front air bags are leaking and not at the proper air pressure.

You might want to peruse my Library article on Motorhome Handling - see http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/MH_Steering_Handling_%20Primer.pdf

Thanks, great article! You mention air bags, I didn't see them when I inspected the front end. Where are they located?

Inside the coil springs on the front axle. The Chevrolet P30 chassis uses a combination coil spring and air bag as the front suspension. Inflation pressure varies with the axle capacity, but 45-60 psi is typical. At 20 years of age, there is a good chance  a bag has cracked and has lost pressure.

This is not a dynamic air suspension like on a Diesel pusher. The air bags are inflated like a tire, basically a one-time thing if no leaks.  There will be a standard (Schrader-type) tire valve on the bag.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

I looked today and I have coil springs but no airbags. Could they have been removed? I also found another problem while under there. One of the bushings on the sway bar is missing! gotta have that fixed pronto.

wijames2002 said:
I looked today and I have coil springs but no airbags. Could they have been removed? I also found another problem while under there. One of the bushings on the sway bar is missing! gotta have that fixed pronto.
All P30 Chevy chassis had air bags from the factory. If they are not there, you will need to have some installed or have the front springs replaced for the weight of your coach. Much easier to have the air bags replaced. Airlift or Firestones are both good bags, but they can be hard to put in. There are several videos on line to show what needs to be done. Do them before you do the shocks. New shocks won't help much without the bags. I've put 3 sets on my older P30 chassis coachs, then shocks. Makes a world of difference.
Might just as well replace all the swaybar bushings too, O'Reillys or Car Quest should have them in stock.

Charlie 5320 said:
All P30 Chevy chassis had air bags from the factory. If they are not there, you will need to have some installed or have the front springs replaced for the weight of your coach. Much easier to have the air bags replaced. Airlift or Firestones are both good bags, but they can be hard to put in. There are several videos on line to show what needs to be done. Do them before you do the shocks. New shocks won't help much without the bags. I've put 3 sets on my older P30 chassis coachs, then shocks. Makes a world of difference.
Might just as well replace all the swaybar bushings too, O'Reillys or Car Quest should have them in stock.

Thanks for all the good advice. Upon further inspection, I found that both airbags had disintegrated and all that was left was the end piece that the airline was attached to. I guess this explains why the front end of the coach sits so low. I wish I was younger to do the work myself but I've made an appointment to have them replaces as well as the swaybar bushings this week.

Thanks again

After I replaced the air bags in my coach I replaced the shocks. I used shocks made by Gabriel for a MH application, they made a huge difference in the ride. Also replaced the steering damper. Make sure to keep the front end greased too.

Back
Top Bottom