Tires for TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tebpac

Hi,
  Although we've had to postpone our TT purchase  :'(, I'm still making plans etc for our future purchase. I have to put new tires on my Tundra and was wondering what tires folks run on their TV's.  I have a Toyota Tundra DC 4x4.  I usually run an all terrain tire (looking at Firestone Destination AT's right now) because when we camp we usually boondock it in places that are less hospitable to cars etc.  Nothing crazy but I do use them off road a little bit when I hunt and fish etc.  Wasn't sure if there was a tire out there that folks like more than others and did well with towing.  We've been looking at the Apex 250RBK, around 5000lbs dry of note.

Todd

I will not reference specific tires.  I just ask my trusted mechanic what I need.

Whatever you get, make sure the Load Rating of the tires exceeds the rear axle ratings.  Within reason, excess load rating is a BIG safety factor because the tires stay below rated load capacity.

I need tires and have been considering Nitto Terra Grappler G2s.  They have a higher load rating than my stock tires, high mileage rating and are all terrain. They are supposed to be fairly quiet as well.  If I get them through Walmart I figure I'll have nationwide warranty coverage. 

I've had really good luck with load range E Bridgestone AT Revos.  Fairly quiet, long lasting, rugged, but not a very aggressive tread for off roading.

On the other end of the spectrum I've had the worse luck with Michelins.  Sidewall cracking has takes out 3 sets of them, including a set of 22.5" motorhome tires.

I went back and re-read your post.  There is no need to put an off-road tread on a trailer.

As a previous poster said.  LT load range E tires.  I stay away from tires made in China based on my experiences with them.

It?s really hard to give advice on tires, because each person has a preference for what is important to them. It usually ends up with compromises. For instance, most people would love to have a tow vehicle that will tow the world yet ride like a dream when not towing. Probably not going to happen.
  Tires are the same. If you want more aggressive tread for off-roading you usually will sacrifice mileage and load ratings. High mileage, high load range tires results from smoother tread pattern and harder rubber compounds.....but they have almost no traction in just plain wet grass. It just depends on what is important to you, not me or anyone else.
  A lot of the Asian made tires are really well made and competitively priced. Most of the Michelin tires in the United States are made from rubber manufactured here, and the tires are assembled here as well. There are many Goodyear, Firestone, Goodrich tires also made right here in the USA. It is still important to me personally to support domestic products where I can, but my dollars are hard to come by and products need to be competitive...a little bit anyway... and companies responsive to what consumers are looking for, as well as concerns with their products.

IMO there really are not any horrible decisions you can make with AT tires.  They all will get the job done and typically be very reliable. 

I go to tire rack and read their customer reviews and rankings. 

For my load range e tires for my super duty I?m leaning towards either Cooper or Continental for replacements.  General also looks interesting although I do believe they ride a bit firmer.  Cooper would be on the softer side.  Continentals in between. 

I've been running Hankook DynaPro's on my Jeep for years(4 Jeeps and a pickup, 6 sets, 7 years more or less). 
About 90% of the farmers and ranchers around where I live run them and I've never heard any bad comments about them, and my own experience bears this out.  Not real expensive either.  Only 2 flats in all that time, and both were caused by 16d nails.

Back
Top Bottom