Thinking of removing my Hydraulic Levelers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddog348

2007 Itasca Sunova 27'. LEVELERS BAH!!!! AM tired of messing with a failed Hyd sys. Kwikee System taken over by Lippert. On vacation last Spring RT Rear leveler began decending on its own while traveling on the Highway. Lights & Bells ~ Stop!!! hit raise jacks all went back up ~ for about 70 miles. Limped along for a while to primary Vacation spot. AS was under extended warranty wanted our regular repair shop to checkit out. BIG bungees ~ check leveler every 50 mi ~ Home OK. THAT was in June. Shop had to check with mfg. then ins. no longer made had to build. Ok 6 wks Did not cure. Mfg said try this ~ Then that 2 more jacks to build & replace ~~ OOps that did not work. Mfg must be 2 way valve ~ Approved day before extended warranty went out. Shop finally found proper valve ~ OUR $$$ ~but must by 4 of them. Closed for Holidays ~~ Shop called today Levelers are "frozen". Will go thru system again maybe one of new levelers no good.

Note!! other than that may be the HYD Pump -our $$$ --. I am worn out with it~~ Any one just remove levelers & go back to blocks.?? Old Classs C saw a lot of camping with Boards&Blocks. Am afraid to drive it with the levelers decending unannounced.

Thanks for letting me vent.

No doubt that has been frustrating, but it's not a common experience.  Anything mechanical (or electronic) can go wonky on you.

But yes, people use boards or plastic blocks and manage fine. Just a bit more work every time you set up. If you mostly camp in fairly level sites, not a big deal.

We had problems with our HWH jacks slow retracting for the first two years and we finally went to HWH and they replaced all four jacks. A Winnebago service bulletin chart comparing retraction times vs temperature claimed we were within "spec." So it took two years of chasing the problem to finally resolve the issue. Other than that experience our HWH system has been great. Anecdotal reports here on the forum indicate non-HWH jacks and slides are much more problematic.

Gary & John thanks for the input. 

This Moterhome born under a black cloud. Before even took possession had 2 12v batts out & 2 6v golf cart batts installed. Dealership mechanic didn't know the difference between series & parallel ~threw the power to it and GIANT lightning strike Blew most elec components. Lots of acid everywhere. Did not tell us. It is locally known as 'The Sunova From Hell'. .......................

Take Care ~ Travel Safe ~ Have Fun          ~~~~~  K

UPDATE

Thanks for all the input - time & ideas. Am limited as to resources so for now will just have legs removed & rest of system capped off. At least I will be comfortable using/travelling in the motor home. Have fought this system since day one. Dealership (CW) and several independent repair facilities. No adjustment on how high the coach went to level on 'auto' ~ seems WRONG to need to have all  :eek: wheels off ground, as happened occasionally ~ would reset. Manual unsatisfactory. Don't think I will ever 'trust' this system.

Traveled several days with rt rear bungeed up when on way home from aborted vacation. Did not deploy at night. Little more time in site selection - just like we did in the old ClassC. If at a later date it becomes to hard to use block 'system' will/may have legs reinstalled.

Thanks again,  K

Back
Top Bottom