gas line at tanks stops gas flow.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

REX.10

have colmen pull behind and has stand up tanks.  units sets for a year or so between usages.  the past two years have had the check ball in gas line at tank connector end, sticks or restricts gas flow.  what could be the cause or causes of this issue? 

If the gas lines have NOT been connected, possible wasp nest blockage??

If the lines have been connected, it is possible all pressure has been relieved over time.  With the new style tanks, if a large surge is sensed, it shuts the gas off.  With empty lines, simply opening the valve could allow this surge.  The solution is to SLOWLY open the valve so the lines slowly pressurize without allowing the surge.  Then fully open the valve.  Once the shutoff happens, simply close the valve and open slowly.

There may be other issues, but this is a free fix, so try it first.  Eliminate this possibility.

Let us know what you find!

thanks for the reply    lines have been connected      have tried opening slowly a few times,  have tried with the lines off and open valve on tank, sometimes gas tries to flow but not much.  mostly not  does not turn flow valve from red to green. might make it some green.  thought i might try some w d 40 by check ball.  end  or maybe it's another $17:00 per line again.

There are smarter people than me here.  Sorry none have jumped in yet.  The other thought I have is that LP does contain some heavier molecules that can act as an oil.  It usually flows through the system and lubricates things.  On sitting, it can collect on check valves and gum up the works - as you describe.  I do not know if these can be cleaned or just need replaced.  I am not sure how to prevent it with your type of usage.

Sorry I can be of no more help!

All propane contains moisture, and if things set for awhile they can corrode up; try tapping on the valve with a hammer or something. Also if it is cold where your at it could have iced up. Good luck

thanks for the reply      yes in have found moisture in line last year  i think i will try some silicone spray  or wd 40 see if it helps or just have to get new lines at about $17:00 again.  thanks .

REX.10 said:
thanks for the reply      yes in have found moisture in line last year  i think i will try some silicone spray  or wd 40 see if it helps or just have to get new lines at about $17:00 again.  thanks .

I am not a propane expert.

But, I would be careful about what foreign substances you introduce into the gas system. You might cause one or more of the appliances to malfunction.

yes was concerned about that, used min. amount of wd 40 it loosened up the check valve in line.  blow some gas thru line and some low press compressed air.    thanks for the suggestion of the moisture in lines.  found when i  removed the line to the main gas line pipe water ran out of the main pipe.  went to the other end of that pipe and removed the line to water heater, and lines to stove, heater, and fridge.  blow out water.  reconnected lines  had water heater working better,  and heater started working, stove working  not fridge. turned off gas again and blow line out from  fridge to main pipe got more water out, re-blow main pipe out again some more water,  reconnected  lines and retried all appliances working  thanks for the help. .. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom