Adding Heating Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glen54737

My new motorhome is 37ft and has only 3 heating vents 1 under the bed in the back, 1 in the bathroom and 1 between the driver and passenger seats. The 1 in the bedroom blows most of the hot air so it's really hot there but the thermostat is near the front seats.

I think there should be at least 1 more register in the middle.
Does anyone know where the duct runs ?
I think I can cut into the duct if it's right under the floor but don't want to miss.

Thor Miramar 35.2 2018 my.

Are your registers in a line? I would close off the bedroom vent, first.

You have to be careful when adding registers to a heating/cooling system. By adding a register in the middle you could very well reduce the airflow from the registers after the added one.

If one looks at an installation manual for their furnace, one will find very specific instructions for ductwork installation on the plenum.

I have no idea where your ducting runs, but adding an outlet in the middle won't help get heat to the front. It sounds as though your main problem is that most of the hot air escapes via the bedroom vent. Reducing the flow there will force more toward the front outlets. 

Some outlets are adjustable but the cheaper ones are not. If you cannot partially close that bedroom vent, either partially cover it (from the rear side) or replace it with an adjustable type.

Ducting may be either flexible tubing or rectangular metal ducting. I don't know which type Thor uses in your model of coach.

kdbgoat said:
If one looks at an installation manual for their furnace, one will find very specific instructions for ductwork installation on the plenum.
That may be the root cause.
So far I've been less than impressed with the build quality. That's why I think that there should have been another vent.

Gary- The bedroom vent is one of those round ones on the end of a flex duct no adjustment. I'll look into replacing it when I can.

Thanks for the suggestions

Don't know about Attwood but Suburban require a min of four 4" registers.

Restricting the airflow reduces the efficiency of the furnace from bad to horrible.

Before adding you'll need to find out if there is a plenum running the length of the RV or 4" flexible ducting was used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom