2018 Navion, on order - upgrade inverter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDKMDK

Just waiting for our 2018 Navion, on order. Comes with a compressor fridge and a 1000W PSW inverter. Plans to upgrade PSW are in the works.

Why would you upgrade a pure sine wave inverter to another pure sine wave inverter? Do you mean you want to go to a higher wattage unit? I'm a tad confused.

Bingo.  Sorry for the confusion. Would like a bit more output capability, and I believe there's a plug and play unit at about twice the capacity that can be swapped in fairly easily. Saw it mentioned on another forum, but haven't researched it extensively yet. I'm also hoping to upgrade the coach batteries/cabling to support the higher draw, if possible. Not sure of the exact dimensions or how much room there is where they sit now. I will probably add a 3rd panel on the roof, since they conveniently placed 3 rooftop connectors up there (and one in one of the side service bays for a portable), but only installed 2 panels. The amperage output of the ZAMP flex panels isn't huge, so a 3rd panel would help. I believe there's room up there for one more.

Thanks John, I will. It's a pretty short run for the wires from batteries to inverter, as far as I know. The batteries are under the inside door steps, and the inverter is mounted in a storage compartment outside and right next to the side door. Might be 6'? Not planning to go much over 2000W for the inverter. Just want a little extra wiggle room. For allowing multiple draws without thermal or other auto-shutdowns.
As far as batteries upgrade, prefer AGMs, but would consider anything that would hold more Ah than the originals. Space is the limitation, unless I make use of the storage compartment with the inverter to add some extra amp hours to the battery bank.
The solar setup has a 510W/30A input max for the whole system, and the roof connectors are limited to 150W panels each. The installed ZAMP flex panels are rated at 100W/5-6A - I'd like a little more help there as well. Not sure about the ground level portable input connection. Hope it's in the manual somewhere. It can't be more than 60W max. I'm not looking to run the roof air off solar obviously, but I'd like to be able to maintain a decent sized battery bank for longer off-grid boondocking, without running the engine alternator (220A), or the propane generator.

Figuring that stuff out will be the surprise part of the project. I have no idea what sort of inverter they're using, but the manual appears to show something that looks like it says Magnum, so it might be a Xantrex re-badged by them, or who knows what? I would bet Winnebago has used their usual "discretion" when choosing something for their electronics support systems. The ZAMP stuff is an unknown for me. Not much online about it except some folks think it's overpriced for not exactly top of the line equipment, but it's probably cost effective, and it's made in the USA. So, it must be good? :) I guess we'll have to see what it all looks like when we get a chance to look at it in the flesh. Then we'll scratch up a plan to get it done. I'll probably try to get one trip out of it first, to see what the pros and cons of the factory setup might be, then take it from there.

Sensata owns Magnum and Dimensions, Xantrex is owned by Schneider Electric.

Sometimes Winnebago gets stuff (sleep number bed, Dimensions inverter) manufactured for them to a particular price point which means it might lack certain features over a regular off-the-shelf product. Some products are probably unique to Winnebago units. In most all cases though the products get the job done (with some exceptions.)

I have two 145 amp Zamp solar panels on the roof of our Horizon and they are good quality, I think the panels themselves are made by Siemens. If you check out my Horizon projects link in my signature, one of the write-ups is panel installation.

Congrats on your purchase.  Litchsinn RV has a good video showing over several days how long the compressor fridge lasted using the stock inverter (my 17 is Xantrex) and solar panels.  Without propane to the fridge unlike us, that will be something to keep your eye on.  Overall a decent test with some info you may find useful.  I have 3 solar panels (AM Solar installed) and have had zero issue with keeping my batteries charged.  I use a Trik L Charger for the chassis battery.  The inverter will run down your coach batteries so Winnebago does advise to turn off when not in use.  I can run my drip coffee pot, charge all electronics, etc.  Cannot run a toaster or hair dryer or microwave off the inverter but for those short periods of time I could easily run the generator.  Do not keep any flammables including small propane cylinders in the same compartment as the inverter.  Hope you have as much good luck with your Navion as we have with ours.  Zero warranty issues.  Propane regulator had to be replaced way too soon and it was a pain to get to.  I think that has changed with the 18s.  If you have any questions I can help with on the Nav don't hesitate to drop me an email.  Happy Camping in 2018!

Forgot to mention, ask whoever you are buying it from to identify all the outlets that can be powered using the inverter.  We have a J model and the outlet between the sink and the cooktop was NOT so using a coffee pot in the most logical place was a no go.  I had AM Solar change it when they were installing my panels.  After that I went thru the Nav with the inverter on and my iPhone with charger attached testing which ones were Inverter.  Labeled each outlet cover as INV and remaining as SP.  Not sure for 2018 if they changed the big TV in living area to run off 12V but if not you must have inverter on if not using other power source.  We have a smaller tv in sleeping area which is 12V so can run without inverter on.  Have fun! 

P.S. How to use steering wheel buttons is worth a walk thru.  Can monitor DEF levels via the buttons which is important for our engines unless you went gas.

MDKMDK - I?m following right behind you - plan to do the exact same thing when I get my 2018 View later this year.  So, please let me know what you end up doing and how it works for you.  Are you planning to get additional solar panels installed?

(also MDK..)

Back
Top Bottom