Storage in Northern Fla.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollingblunder

hello again -
We are planning are storing our MH in northern Fla. (Jacksonville area) from late January until mid April. Please offer any hints and/or advice as to how to properly prepare the unit (i.e. - winterizing? or just drain, insect/rodent protection? are the main concerns). Any wisdom would be appreciated. From previous experience I know this is the place to come for info.
Thanks in advance

I'd winterize it. A 15 minute job and a $4 jug of the pink stuff is a very good bet. Some will say stabilize the gas and run it through the generator too though I've never had problems with 12 week old gas. Deodorize the empty black and gray tanks, we use a cup of pine-sol. I've also come back to smelly fresh water that had been sitting in the sun over time. Maybe a half a cup of bleach in the fresh water tank. I've never experienced rodents even up here in our harsh NE winters. Crack the ceiling vents a little, leave the fridge and freezer doors open a crack so you don't come back to a moldy mess, flip off that 12 volt switch walking out the door..... Where are you storing? We've parked ours right at Hilton Head airport, 6 weeks for about $330. Not cheap but very handy and you avoid time consuming storage contracts and costly ground transportation. Southwest airport is not in your area but for my money is the best park and fly storage deal I know of. Again, handy getting off the plane and a free shuttle ride to your condo on wheels. Free overnight also. $28 a week last time I checked. Good security too........on a down note...my financial adviser just informed me I'm not as close to the snowbird lifestyle as I had been planning. 

I live in that area.
Generally speaking I'd say you don't need to do a full winterizing like you would up North....no need to get every last drop of water out.

Most years I'll drain the water lines and drain the water heater and that's good enough....but I do admit to worrying just last week when we were out of town and I had only drained the water heater......

Depending on what part of town though.... further inland on the NW side of town it tends to be a bit harder of a freeze than over East close to the ocean....basically west of the river or east

The pest control.... well that's more of a local variable.  Are you parking it in or near a rodent infested barn?  Well that might be a problem.....

Thanks both very much for input. We will be in area of storage for a few days so will access the environment then decide.
Also, we are towing so ground transportation not an issue.

a $4 jug of the pink stuff

A jug? That depends on the rig, and how you do the winterizing. My Beaver took 8 jugs, my Ventana needs 4 IF I blow the lines with air first and limit the pink stuff to the hot water system. And 15 minutes won't touch it -- try 90-120 minutes.

So it depends so much on the rig. The OP didn't say what type he had, so there could be a large possible range...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom