First long trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saturna1

We are planning our first longer trip in our new to us motorhome (2015 Fleetwood Flair) and want to try a few places in southeast California and southwest Arizona.  Any favorites out there?

Joshua Tree National Parks is in my top ten National Parks list and I have been to almost all of them. Jumbo Rocks is my favorite campground there.

Hi,

I agree with Tom re Joshua, it's beautiful. We went to Lake Havasu last year staying at the State Park, we liked Cattail Cove State Park but it is further away from town.  We took our canoe out on the Bill Williams Preserve which was great.

We also visited Usery Mountain State Park in North Phoenix it was a really nice park.  Further east is the Superstition Mountains, we have those on our list to visit.  Alternatively, the Mogollon Rim has lovely campgrounds, nice lakes and hikes.

Bit further south is Organ Pipe National which is beautiful. Kitt Peak observatory is quite close and I believe you can book tours.

Saguaro National Park is good for a day trip and even further over is Bisbee and Tombstone and Chiricahua National Monument which is also wonderful.  Out that way is Ramsey Canyon, great for birdwatching- lots of humming birds and often people see the elegant trogon there.

A few suggestions for you to consider.

Anza Borrega State Park is another great spot.  It is California's largest State Park.  Lots of boon docking areas as well as several RV parks.  The state park has hookups. 

California is incredibly beautiful and there is a ton of great places to visit there. Death Valley, Joshua, Mojave, Sequoia NP, Kings NP, Channel Islands NP, and Lake Havasu just to name a few.

Winter or summer? The desert is gorgeous in fall, winter, and spring, but not for the inexperienced in the summer. In the late fall or winter, I love Death Valley. Camp at Sunset inside the park if you can handle dry camping. Joshua Tree is gorgeous too with rocks in fantastic forms. We stayed at Belle campground, no reservations, but big sites were available. Anywhere along the east side of the Sierras along US-395 is awfully nice with historic sites. The west side of the Sierras has all the National Parks and lots of fascinating mining history. Southwest Arizona has the Lake Havasu area, though we prefer the area outside of the town itself. Yuma is full or snowbirds and services for them. We like the area around Tucson better than around Phoenix, and the Saguaro National Monument was outstanding with much more than saguaro.

Thanks for the info - we have spent a lot of time RVing in our area (BC Canada) and now want to explore further afield.  We are thinking of late February or March. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom