Jim Godward, Another OOPs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Godward

Saturday, Dec. 30, I had to go to the Emergency Room due to a lung problem and wound up in the Hospital for 5 days.  It is hell getting old!  Got out yesterday but am on Oxygen at least for a while and maybe "who knows how long".  Anyway doing much better and am progressing slowly. 
I will probably spend more time on the computer as dragging the O2 equipment is a real pain.
Just a quick update as a few had inquired.

I was talking to a fellow Ham just yesterday.... He was just leaving the ER (He was only the chauffer however)  I told him ER's were a good place to avoid.. he agreed... (Last visited one in 2013 and frankly no hurry to return).

Here is hoping you can recover fully and fast.

Jim, you're not supposed to have that kind of OOPs!  But glad to hear you're outta there and at home where a certain lovely lady probably is trying to crack the whip to make sure you behave yourself.  :eek:  Seriously, do take care and we both send hugs and wishes for a quick recovery.

ArdraF and JerryF

Jim - Sorry to hear about the oxygen. I have to agree with you, it is a bitch getting old. I have been saying it the last few years. However it is many times better than the alternative.

Glad you are out and doing better Jim, I know from experience that being on oxygen is a pain. I used to call my oxygen bag"monkey" because it was always on my back. Get better and stay away from people, wash your hands constantly and dont touch anything when you are out in the public you dont need to catch an infection with your lungs compromised. Getting old is a bitch but its better than the alternative. (like Tom said)

We've had a few "oops's" this year, too,  Goes with that old "golden years" territory.  Hang in there, Jim and Pat.  Just gotta keep on keepin' on.  ;)

Thanks for all the support as this is going to be a forever thing in the future for me.

OK, a word of explanation.  For those who know and those who don't, My problem with my lungs is the result of a disease I have called "Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis". All that means is we don't know exactly what it is. There is no cure but there are treatments to slow the progression and I am taking them, the O2 is one.  By posting on my Facebook page, I also just found out that it may be genetic as a distant cousin in the UK also has the problem.  We are getting together and she will be doing a DNA test so we can possibly match things up and see where that goes.

I will see the Pulmonologist on Tuesday and we will develop plan on where we go from here.

Short stays three times last year, know the drill, tubes restricting movement, ugh!
We are blessed to be out. Helps to keep repeating....."Blessed to be out, Blessed to be out, Blessed to be out."
Good Luck Jim......!
Did I tell ya the one nurse wanted to get married? Darn..., I'm lying again. I'm down to three lies a day...., oops, there goes one now!
"I got to get my mind right Boss." ( from the movie  COOL HAND LUKE.)

Yep, I'm learning getting old ain't for sissies, especially when you abuse your body when younger.

Jim Godward said:
Saturday, Dec. 30, I had to go to the Emergency Room due to a lung problem and wound up in the Hospital for 5 days.  It is hell getting old!  Got out yesterday but am on Oxygen at least for a while and maybe "who knows how long".  Anyway doing much better and am progressing slowly. 
I will probably spend more time on the computer as dragging the O2 equipment is a real pain.
Just a quick update as a few had inquired.

Oh Jim.  I had/have the same problem.  Hospital for 2 days (pneumonia). Got out on Christmas Eve.  Had just started on oxygen before going to hospital - mainly during sleep and exertion.  Breathing has now improved a great deal but you don't fix COPD so I am still on oxygen at night and I carry a tank during the day excursions in case it is needed.  Have used it several times when exertion was required.  Now I am worried about handling the coach next season - no problem driving but doing all the hookups, etc, may require me to hang a small tank around my neck.  And YES, you will spend more time on the computer - dragging the 0-2 is definitely a pain (but necessary).

Bill

John From Detroit said:
I was talking to a fellow Ham just yesterday.... He was just leaving the ER (He was only the chauffer however)  I told him ER's were a good place to avoid.. 

How true.  My last visit was quick.  Since I couldn't breathe very well, they triaged me right from the front desk to a private room but my wife had to linger in there to fill out some paper.  Ten thirty at night and the place was packed with every single soul sneezing and coughing.  Two days later she herself is in urgent care with a major sinus problem.  Emergency rooms are not places to linger for sure.

Bill

kdbgoat said:
Yep, I'm learning getting old ain't for sissies, especially when you abuse your body when younger.
The problem is we don't know what I may have done, was it fun or work?  Makes a difference on how you look at it :)

I had to cancel a trip scheduled for departure today. My medical team has suggested I not drive until they determine if I do or do not have a tumor sitting on the nerve that extends from the inner ear to the brain. Dizziness and vertigo are symptoms of which I have both. Getting old certainly does stink...

Jim, you hadn't ought to do things like get a new "BUDDY" that has to accompany you everywhere. You're right, getting old--er is a bitch. Hope all settles down and the new routine isn't too restricting. We may get to Portland area this summer. If we do, I'll call you. Hope the cell # hasn't been changed.

Chet & Laurie

Good Luck Jim.  All we can do is follow the old Doc's orders and let them take their best shot at keeping us fixed.  I'm in the middle of getting steroid shots in my ears for sudden hearing loss that they can't figure out.  It seems like now days that all I do is wonder what's next?  As others said, it is Hell to git old and is quite the adventure, but better than the alternative.

No cell has not changed and have a home phone too, five zero three two five nine zero five six seven.  If I have to have a buddy, it will be a concentrator rather than bottles!!!  :)  I am hoping to get it down to O2 at night and when exercising.  That is where I was 6 weeks ago and then I caught something.

Jim & Pat

Chet18013 said:
Jim, you hadn't ought to do things like get a new "BUDDY" that has to accompany you everywhere. You're right, getting old--er is a bitch. Hope all settles down and the new routine isn't too restricting. We may get to Portland area this summer. If we do, I'll call you. Hope the cell # hasn't been changed.

Chet & Laurie

John Beard said:
I had to cancel a trip scheduled for departure today. My medical team has suggested I not drive until they determine if I do or do not have a tumor sitting on the nerve that extends from the inner ear to the brain. Dizziness and vertigo are symptoms of which I have both. Getting old certainly does stink...

John, PM coming your way. 

Back
Top Bottom