Diesel fuel additives...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauleman

a friend recently gave me 8 bottles of red line synthetic oil diesel fuel additive... I have a cummins in my La Palma and was wondering if the additive is a plus or should I just pitch it... I figure it can't hurt but would like a few opinions on it first...googled it and found Cummins now does recommend fuel additives for their engines but not redline... they endorse two brands which on closer investigation are the same as red line...

I have never used Red Line but I do use a diesel additive, I use Howes.  I am familiar with Red Line products but in the high performance motor sports arena not the diesel arena.  If you want to use an additive I personally wouldn't hesitate to use a Red Line product.

I have three tractors, one gas, two diesel. 1954 gas that I just use for general purpose chores, a 2000 New Holland I bought new, and a 2008 New Holland I bought new. The 2008 model has always been a hard starter in the wintertime, but it always started. While at the auto parts store this summer I was getting some other stuff and saw some diesel injection cleaner and on a whim I bought it and put in the proper amount in the tractor, hoping to help with the winter starting.
  Well, what a nightmare. That stuff must have dislodged algae or something from the fuel tank itself and I have been dealing with plugged filters and fuel lines ever since. I have unplugged the fuel line and fuel pump strainer at least 20 times. Not a hard job, but aggravating when you are trying to get some work done. I can?t imagine if I put this stuff in a diesel pusher on vacation and having these problems. It?s one thing to leave the tractor sitting in a field, on an interstate very different propositions.
  The 2000 diesel tractor still running like a champ, but I didn?t put anything in it?s fuel tank. It could be totally unrelated. I don?t have any factual proof, but for me I?m now really leery of dumping something ?magic? in my fuel tank when it had been running so well for years on plain old diesel.

I use cleenflo diesel additive in all my heavy equipment and rv. An old mechanic friend told me to always use it, so I always have. Dont know if it helps, but it certainly hasnt hurt anything in the fifteen years I have used it. I live in Canada, so I dont know if it makes a difference or not. Some of our machines run year round.

Biodiesel is an excellent fuel system cleaner and more and more places are including a percentage in their diesel fuel to meet EPA mandates for biofuel production at the refinery level.  Fuel filter replacement may become more frequent in the future as it cleans the gunk out of the tank and lines.

It's rare for a filter to suddenly plug up, the first sign is usually decreased performance or stumbling under full throttle.  If you catch it then you have time to get to a shop and have it changed out.

The good news is once the system is clean, it will remain clean.

If left to sit for a time bio diesel grows fungus, period. time span would be changed by conditions, period.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom