Keystone Raptor VS Dutchman Victory Lane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathrynnwoods

Our family has started looking into the world of toy haulers. In the past few weeks we have been searching high and low about what we like, and what best suits our family. My husband and young daughter race dirt bikes (and our son is right behind them!) We will be traveling to races and also using the rv for recreational use.. beach trips, mountains etc. We have narrowed it down between the Keystone Raptor and the Dutchman Victory lane. We're looking for a mid/late 2000 model and our max price is $25k. I personally love the 3 slides, loft bed and double electric beds in the cargo area.  My husband likes the fact that the victory lane has an 18000lb gvw vs the keystone at 15k. But I like the fact that the raptor we're looking at has the extra kitchen slide... With all of this said, I would like to get your opinions on one camper vs the other. Is one going to hold up better? one more high end? Do y'all have personal advice with either or? Thanks a bunch!!

I have 311 impact keystones  toyhualer10 ft garage  11500  15000 gvw . I have had loaded Harley, quad  full water and gas . It weighed 12500 on a cat scale.  Your looking at gvw the truck takes 3000 pounds off the trailer to start.

First, Welcome to the Forum!

It seems you are off to a good start. 
Rule 1:  FLOOR PLAN is the MOST important factor in finding the right TH (Toy Hauler)
Rule 2: Ask questions BEFORE you buy.  It is much cheaper to adjust your decisions!

I strongly recommend buying used, which is what you are looking at.  While Floor Plan remains #1, the condition of the camper becomes #2. Brand differences play very little role in used camper quality.  A carefully maintained mid line TH is a much better buy than a top end unit that has "been ridden hard and put up wet".  They ARE available.  While not a TH, we just bought a 2009 Grand Junction that had been well cared for for $28K.  It may take some patience and shopping to find the one for your family, but it is out  there!  We can help with what to look for and what to avoid with respect to condition.

What is your planned TV (Tow Vehicle)?  The 15K  GVWR will put 3000 lbs in the bed of your truck.  The truck MUST have a high enough payload to carry this 3,000lb PLUS a 200 lb hitch and the weight of all passengers and other stuff carried in the truck.  The 18K  GVWR will have a 3600lb pin wt, and need 600 lb more payload.
With that said, you are firmly in 1 ton truck territory, and probably in dually territory with the lighter camper.  You are firmly in dually territory with the heavier camper.

I will be happy to provide more details as your decision process goes forward.

Both of those units the Raptor and the Victory Lane are made by Keystone Victory Lane is now the Voltage line of which i have one
The Raptor comes with more std bells and whistles than the Voltage and a higher price point but are built on the same assembly line

There both keystone keystone and very heavy you will need 1 ton and depending on the raptor maybe a drw. For 25 k you can get a nice later model toyhuler.  I would recommend staying away from all cable slide. And look under the wheels for damage done from blowouts , roof delaminatlng, I'm a member of keystone rv forum it's a small forum check that out . We have section of just toy hauler . See ya over there.

Why does DH favor heavier vs lighter? What is the underlying reason? Carrying capacity is the useful spec for loading toys.

We have been studying THs for a couple of years. We need to be able to fit 2 Harley touring models. We could not find one that we liked that we could tow with a SRW (single rear wheel) 1 ton model though we did limit our TV (tow vehicle) choice to Ram 3500 diesel upscale models.

It is not a question of which one will hold up better, it is a question of which one HAS held up better. With old RVs the badge is meaningless and condition is everything.

Back
Top Bottom