Last leg of Rockies June 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CelticClamper

I am undecided as to which route to take from Colorado Springs CO to Salt Lake City UT. I can either take I-80  Or  CO-115 S and US-50 W through Royal Gorge. Or  I-25 S to US-160 US-491 N to US-191 N. I would like to stay away from twisty steep cliffs as my wife freaks out. I have searched through many posts before posting this. My notes keep getting confusing so I hope that I can get advise from those that are knowledgeable. I will post with legs of the trip to make things easier for commenting. I am looking for any info regarding rerouting for steep climbs, high winds, or narrow terrain. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you.

Do you want to sightsee along the way, or is it ?just get from Point A to Point B?? The answer is quite different depending on the answer.

I was told by many to just suck it up and take 70. I am just wanting to get from point a to point b. Thank you.

Nothing wrong with I-70. It still has some nice views along the way. The passes are well signed and generally have a slow vehicle lane. Enjoy the trip.

Also, what is your plan for SLC? The KOA on North Temple is nice with trees and grass. It is also a block away from a light rail that takes you straight downtown where you can see the historic sites without parking issues. If you want a more natural location, Antelope Island State Park isn?t that far away. Dry camping, reservations, huge sites. Don?t do it April through July due to the bugs, but lovely the rest of the year with incredible sunsets across the Great Salt Lake.

US 50 does not go through the Royal Gorge (which is an interesting place if you have a day or so) US 50 isn't a bad drive. Some high points, but not any really scary high places with cliffs and such. 

I personally think I-70 is far more scary than US-50.
Too much traffic, a lot of idiots going really fast, and when the weather turns can be quite unpleasant.

Monarch pass on highway 50 is scary, I have a serious issue with cliffs and can't take 50 over the pass. I prefer I-70 myself.

Also the RV parks for the royal gorge are off highway 50 and the road along the Arkansas River is lovely!

kimberlyu said:
Monarch pass on highway 50 is scary, I have a serious issue with cliffs and can't take 50 over the pass. I prefer I-70 myself.

Also the RV parks for the royal gorge are off highway 50 and the road along the Arkansas River is lovely!

I guess it is all perspective. My wife hates US 50 over Monarch. I never even notice much of it. Though, I guess the West side of Monarch is a bit nervous for the passenger.

If you're just wanting to go from Point A to Point B as stated, then I-80 is easiest assuming good weather of course.  Other than that it's a good road and I don't recall any issues with steep drop-offs like you have on smaller U.S.-designated roads.  There are many elevation changes between 7,000-9,000 feet but they're gradual and it's high plains rolling terrain.  I-70 also is a good road but over 11,000 feet elevation at the Eisenhower Tunnel.  The main disadvantage is that higher elevation and a steeper climb out of Denver.

ArdraF

A lot depends on when you are making this drive.
In good weather I-25 to Cheyenne and west on I-80 is THE "Just get from point A to Point B" route. Assuming you can schedule when business traffic is not clogging the corridor.
some time between 8 PM and 4 AM is ideal for that.

I-70 between Denver and Grand Junction has the most significant elevation changes, and can be a workout for the average RV. 

US-50 has the climb up to Monarch, and the drop down into the Blue Mesa Reservoir to contend with. Relatively mild, but still a work out, and in bad weather can be a no-go.

Any other route will be a subset of those three. From the Springs, with weather being equal, I prefer US-50 to Grand Junction over I-70. As a driver, it is the calm and easy drive. As a passenger, it might offer some scenic adventure.

One option is to sneak up I-25 in the late evening after rush hour and camp in Cheyenne, then an easy run on I-80 the next day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom