Kodak AIO 5500 printer problem with Windows 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RockyHill

Our old computer with Windows 7 died and we gave up and (grudgingly) bought new computer with Windows 10.  Tried using the Kodak printer but it will spit out blank pages on print commands.  Troubleshooting showed "driver error" and something to the effect of not having a driver.  Have uninstalled printer, downloaded Kodak driver software, etc. and still have same results.  The copy function sometimes works but haven't used it enough to determine the difference in when it works and when it won't.  Bought the new computer from local shop and they said they didn't know if the printer would work but try it and see.

All that said, am I missing something or do I just need to get a newer printer?

Thanks,
Shelia

Depending on the age of the printer, it may not be compatible with windows 10. If you tried downloading new drivers from Kodak you may need a new printer. You can get new for a little over $100. And, that is one that will scan, print, copy and fax. The ink is the expensive part.

Dave

David Brune said:
Depending on the age of the printer, it may not be compatible with windows 10. If you tried downloading new drivers from Kodak you may need a new printer. You can get new for a little over $100. And, that is one that will scan, print, copy and fax. The ink is the expensive part.

Dave

Thanks, I had come to the conclusion that a new printer is probably needed but thought maybe I had overlooked something.  Can't print without ink but the cost is definitely expensive. 

Thanks,
Shelia

If you don't need color (or perhaps even if you do), consider a laser printer. The toner cartridge is fairly expensive, but you don't have to change it often, and it doesn't dry up like ink will. And that higher cost for the toner cartridge is spread out over a LOT more printed sheets than an ink cartridge will give you that the long term cost is actually cheaper than an ink jet.

But it still may be just a driver problem, so check that thoroughly before getting a new printer.

Larry N. said:
If you don't need color (or perhaps even if you do), consider a laser printer. The toner cartridge is fairly expensive, but you don't have to change it often, and it doesn't dry up like ink will. And that higher cost for the toner cartridge is spread out over a LOT more printed sheets than an ink cartridge will give you that the long term cost is actually cheaper than an ink jet.

But it still may be just a driver problem, so check that thoroughly before getting a new printer.

A few orders of ink ago, I considered a laser printer.  I don't do a lot of printing so more ink disappears than dries on paper.  Do you have a recommended laser printer if I start that search?

I just can't figure out what else to do for the driver problem.

Thanks,
Shelia

I recently picked up an inexpensive Brother (monochrome) to carry in my motorhome, but HP, Epson, Canon and several others are just fine. Here's an inexpensive Brother, and here's an inexpensive laser all-in-one.

Frys.com occasionally has color laser printers on sale.  I picked up a Samsung color laser printer for $150 there a few months ago.  I kept my Epson all-in-one inkjet for it's scanning functions.

Keep in mind laser printers are larger and heavier than inkjets, and they require several hundred watts of pure sine wave power.  Running them on a modified sine wave inverter is asking for trouble.

I believe you can install Windows 7 drivers using the compaptbility wizard and they have a fair chance of working.  Don't let the install autorun.  Right click on the package or exe and select compatibility wizard.  it may depend on which version of 10 you have.  Home is severely limited IMHO.

Larry N. said:
I recently picked up an inexpensive Brother (monochrome) to carry in my motorhome, but HP, Epson, Canon and several others are just fine. Here's an inexpensive Brother, and here's an inexpensive laser all-in-one.

Thanks, these will give me a starting place if I decide to go laser.

Shelia

Lou Schneider said:
Frys.com occasionally has color laser printers on sale.  I picked up a Samsung color laser printer for $150 there a few months ago.  I kept my Epson all-in-one inkjet for it's scanning functions.

Keep in mind laser printers are larger and heavier than inkjets, and they require several hundred watts of pure sine wave power.  Running them on a modified sine wave inverter is asking for trouble.
\
Frys.com is a new shopping/browsing site for me.

I haven't had a printer in the motorhome but have had times I wished for one.  If I get an inkjet I want to be able to take it along; if I get a laser it will just have to stay at home with the pc.

Thanks,
Shelia

8Muddypaws said:
I believe you can install Windows 7 drivers using the compaptbility wizard and they have a fair chance of working.  Don't let the install autorun.  Right click on the package or exe and select compatibility wizard.  it may depend on which version of 10 you have.  Home is severely limited IMHO.

The place that kept our old computer going and kept us away from 10 as long as they could.  Do you know which version of 10 that I might be able to use the 7 driver?  Would I need to uninstall the Kodak driver that I have and start over?

Thanks,
Shelia

I'm one of those weird guys who likes W10.  I have been a W10 beta tester for several years.  Beginning with the first version, which sucked, up to the current version which I recommend.  In my volunteer gig I'm still working on 2000, 3.1, 7, 8, and 10 all at the same time and some of the weirdest printers imaginable. 

I've installed 'weird' drivers in W10 Pro and had success.  Not so much success with W10 Home but the issues there are not specific to drivers.

Dumb question?  Is there something extra special about this printer?  Is it a wide format photo printer or something?  I ask that because they practically give printers away these days.  I checked www.frys.com and found a Canon all-in-one for $36.  Amazon is a good source too.  It might be the path of least resistance to simply replace the printer.

Eason is making printers that have external ink tanks and they claim the ink is much less expensive than those where the ink jet is integrated with the tank.  They have a higher upfront cost but it might be less than a laser.

Laser printers make a lot of heat.  Just like a copy machine they have a fuser that actually melts the toner into the paper.

8Muddypaws said:
I'm one of those weird guys who likes W10.  I have been a W10 beta tester for several years.  Beginning with the first version, which sucked, up to the current version which I recommend.  In my volunteer gig I'm still working on 2000, 3.1, 7, 8, and 10 all at the same time and some of the weirdest printers imaginable. 

I've installed 'weird' drivers in W10 Pro and had success.  Not so much success with W10 Home but the issues there are not specific to drivers.

Dumb question?  Is there something extra special about this printer?  Is it a wide format photo printer or something?  I ask that because they practically give printers away these days.  I checked www.frys.com and found a Canon all-in-one for $36.  Amazon is a good source too.  It might be the path of least resistance to simply replace the printer.

Eason is making printers that have external ink tanks and they claim the ink is much less expensive than those where the ink jet is integrated with the tank.  They have a higher upfront cost but it might be less than a laser.

Laser printers make a lot of heat.  Just like a copy machine they have a fuser that actually melts the toner into the paper.

No attachment to the printer other than it was still working and I had learned how I used it, not necessarily everything it would do.  I like the idea of the Epson printers with external tanks if I replace this one.

Possibly found the problem is the printer has USB 2.0 and computer port is was using was USB 3.0.  I switched the printer to a front port and it seems to be working.  I'll know more when I have some info that I want to have a hard copy printed.

One of my main complaints with Windows 10 probably comes from being more comfortable with 7 which was a smooth transition from XP.  Thanks for you help and I may be back for advice again.

Shelia

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom