Which Jeep/4-wheeling/off-roading clubs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fjhill

John and other 4-wheelers,
A few months ago Wife and I bought the  '14 Jeep RU lifted with 35s steel bumpers and winch (ready to go.)  Then, about 6 weeks ago we got the Newmar Dutchstar 4369.  Currently I'm having the Jeep set up to tow, getting the house ready to sell and hitting the road ASAP.  We plan to be mostly west of the Mississippi for the first year.  I have more questions than you might imagine but I'll start with two.
1.  Which Jeep/4-wheeling/off-roading clubs, associations and so forth do you recommend?  Wheeling is just so much more fun and safer with other like-minded folks.
2.  What "discount" clubs/cards for RV parks do you recommend for full timers?
Thanks in advance,
Jerry Hill

Hi Jerry and welcome. The national club is the FMCA 4wheelers but it's so popular there's a waiting list to join. There's limited resources so the club board of directors has capped the membership. I recommend you go ahead and get your name on the waiting list since there might not be an opening for several months. Last count I think there were 30 or 40 (?) waiting to join but we had about 40 members not renew their membership (I'm the club Webmaster.)

As far as RV discounts/clubs, by and large the most widely accepted discount program is Good Sam - saves you about 10%. You should also join the FMCA - membership is a requirement before you can join the 4wheeler chapter. Passport is another good discount program but relatively few parks participate.

I am privileged to be a member of the FMCA 4Wheelers, and I also belong to a few local Jeep Clubs. I would also suggest that you get your name on the wait list for the FMCA 4Wheelers. I am on the Event Planning Committee and we have some great plans for the future of the club. It's is only going to get better.

John,
Thanks, I'm on the waiting list.  Best guess on wait?
Jerry

John Beard said:
The wait could take several months, hang in there.
I just looked at the latest waiting list. John is right - could take a long time. There's always a chance the cap will be raised and/or members will drop out. I don't know how much churn we usually have every year but like I mentioned a few post above, we had about 40 non-renewals.

taoshum said:
If memory serves, you could probably attend an event as a guest of an existing member?

Your memory serves you well... Guests are welcome, under strict guidelines.

OK, the first time I went on the fmca4-wheelers site I could check out all the chapters.  Now I only get the log-in page or an invitation to get on the wait list.  How would I go about attending events as a guest?
Thanks,
Jerry

fjhill said:
OK, the first time I went on the fmca4-wheelers site I could check out all the chapters.  Now I only get the log-in page or an invitation to get on the wait list.  How would I go about attending events as a guest?
Thanks,
Jerry

I will make an effort today to get you some information.

The following is the Guest Policy for the FMCA 4-Wheelers.  It takes into account the fact that we are a family orientated Club and that our events are not open to the public.  The Policy recognizes two categories of Guests 1) Immediate Family Members and 2) Prospective Members.  It also recognizes two scenarios where guests will attend events - 1) Guests who ride along in the Member Vehicles and 2) Guests who bring their own vehicle.
The three categories of Guests are:

Family Unit as defined by FMCA
Members of the Family Unit as defined by FMCA are always welcome and may be registered for a Club Event by the sponsoring member at the member rate.  The term Family Unit is defined by FMCA as a person; his or her spouse, or partner; dependents of each, regardless of age; and grandchildren and great-grandchildren aged 18 and under.  We have elected to include non-dependent parents and children regardless of age in this definition for our Club events.
They will be charged the Member Rate for all events.

Prospective Members
These Guests must be current members of the FMCA and have applied for membership in the FMCA 4-Wheelers and appear on our Club waiting list.
Prospective Members will be charged the Guest Rate for all events.

Special Invited Guests
Rally hosts, at their discretion, may invite non-FMCA members to our Events if it is in the interests of the Club to do so.  Examples of these types of Guests would be officers in the local jeep clubs, town officials, guest speakers, etc.
Special Invited Guests will be charged the Guest Rate for all events.
The two scenarios covered by this Policy are:
Guests riding along in Member Vehicles
Members may invite up to two guests who will ride along on all trails with the Member in the Member vehicle.
These Guests must sign a Hold Harmless
The Member must register and pay for these Guests at the appropriate rate for that event.
Guests who bring their own 4 Wheel Drive vehicle
Members who have been in the Club for at least one year or who have attended two or more events may invite one guest vehicle per Event per year.
Guest must undergo a vehicle safety inspection at every event they attend.
These Guests must sign a Hold Harmless
Members must run all trails with their Guests and are ultimately responsible for that guests? behavior and vehicle breakdowns on the trail..
Members will do the trail sign up for themselves and their Guests.  Guests are not permitted to sign up for trails themselves.
Guests and their hosts will be given and will be expected to adhere to our Guest Guidelines document outlining Club practices, trail etiquette, and host responsibilities.

Discussion:  There are several important reasons for implementing a Guest Policy for the FMCA 4-Wheelers.
Our Club Liability Insurance Policy is provided us by the FMCA..  This coverage has recently been expanded to cover us not only at the Event Venue, but also for incidents on the trail.  This coverage is limited to current FMCA members only (includes family members of members).  Non FMCA participants are not covered by this Insurance Policy.  FMCA has advised us that their liability coverage at FMCA events for guests is restricted to prospective members only - not the general public.
We have been under scrutiny by federal and state regulatory agencies at various locations where we wheel.  So far, we have been successful in getting them to understand the unique character of our Club.  An important part of our discussions with them is that we are a private, member only club and that our events are not open to the general public.  Our current practice of letting members invite whomever they want to the events makes it impossible for us to enforce that statement.
We have been experiencing more and more guests at our Events.  Sometimes members have invited several guests, the members do not go on the same trails as their guests resulting in our trail leaders being responsible for non-members, and some guests have attended multiple events (why would they ever want to become a member?).
If an Event has a registration limit (is Capped), then Members will have priority over Guests.  This may result in a Guest registration being cancelled if the cap is reached before all Members have signed up for the Event.    Note that this restriction does not apply to Member Families.
This Guest Policy is to include any Club Event, Gathering or Discovery Trek on our Website Calendar.  It does not include casual get togethers of club members not sponsored by our Club.

Good Grief Charlie Brown, that's a lot to swallow but things being what they are these days I guess there have to be "rules".  Like John mentioned, the activity has become very popular, especially in the most popular locations, like Moab. 

BTW, during the several weeks before the actual "event", quite a few of the folks that will eventually lead a trail do "pre-runs" to check out the conditions and GPS track accuracy.  Not sure what the "rules" are for that though.

Another option would be to attend some of the RV Forum events... there's a category called rallies or events or something close to that on this forum.  One such event is held in Ouray, Colorado during August usually and involves lots of 4WD activity.  Very informal and flexible compared to the FMCA.  Ouray RV parks tend to fill-up quickly so get a reservation now.  see:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,108012.0.html

Jerry,
Welcome to the new world of RVing and Jeeping! Such a good life.  When we first bought a jeep, Terry  Googled "Jeeps clubs in Yuma" and several local clubs popped up.  They had trail run schedules, very  knowledgable members  and showed us the ropes of airing down, sway bar disconnect and dozens of things of which we were not aware.  It was a great place to  learn ropes in a smaller setting.

That said we also joined the  FMCA 4Wheelers  because we enjoyed their social aspects and structure.  As John mentioned the club has become very popular. The club was founded in  1997 and many of  those original  members are still wheeling with us.  It is run completely by volunteers and as the numbers grew the " work load" of volunteers became unreasonable.  So the membership was capped to allow for a more controlled  number of members.

I am  currently serving as National Director for FMCA for this 4 Wheeler Chapter.  Volunteers are needed to lead trails, host  events and take on leadership responsibilities.  The  board is looking for  "New blood" and is in the  process of changing  the Standard Operating Procedure that limits membership. The wait list is 118 people long and many have been on the list for  over  12 months. While the capped membership  may change,  assimilation of new  members will only be a rate that volunteer work load can accommodate. John said it  may take a while......

taoshum said:
Good Grief Charlie Brown, that's a lot to swallow but things being what they are these days I guess there have to be "rules".  Like John mentioned, the activity has become very popular, especially in the most popular locations, like Moab.
Most if not all of the 'rules' or policy was designed to address issues that have surfaced in the last two or three years. One major problem addressed was new members bringing several 'guests' (actually just wheeling friends) and they were filling up trail sign-ups to the exclusion in some cases of veteran members.

These 'guests' (and new members to some extent) were unknown as far as their vehicle capability and wheeling capability. I had to turn away a new member and his guest for a hard trail (4.0 out of 5.0) I was leading in St George. He talked a good talk when I interviewed him but looking at his Jeep told a completely different story. The last thing I want when leading a hard trail is somebody in the group that we find out is way past his comfort zone and beyond the vehicle capability.

BTW, during the several weeks before the actual "event", quite a few of the folks that will eventually lead a trail do "pre-runs" to check out the conditions and GPS track accuracy.  Not sure what the "rules" are for that though....
I'm not sure if we have a policy governing pre-runs but I think a visitor could be accommodated if they sign a hold harmless agreement. However this is my opinion and does not represent club position or policy. I usually arrive one week before an event starts to do my pre-run and go on others. Actually I do most of my wheeling the week before the event. It's more casual and less crowded.

Another vote to locate a local club in addition to the FMCA 4-Wheelers.  We are members of both the FMCA 4-Wheelers as well as a local club but since my wife and I are still working full-time we find ourselves wheeling with our local club much more than the FMCA group, although the FMCA club is much more organized and has week long events which appeal to us a bit more.

Mike

zmotorsports said:
Another vote to locate a local club in addition to the FMCA 4-Wheelers.  We are members of both the FMCA 4-Wheelers as well as a local club but since my wife and I are still working full-time we find ourselves wheeling with our local club much more than the FMCA group, although the FMCA club is much more organized and has week long events which appeal to us a bit more.

Mike

Mike, The Event Planning Committee are always looking for hosts for Events, Gathering, and Discovery Treks, since you and the Mrs. have hosting experience... might you be interested in hosting?

John Beard said:
Mike, The Event Planning Committee are always looking for hosts for Events, Gathering, and Discovery Treks, since you and the Mrs. have hosting experience... might you be interested in hosting?

Our hosting experience needs some polishing.  Still working on that.

We're hosting a "non-official" get together in Ouray in August already.

This whole work thing is really stifling my Jeeping and RVing. ;)

Mike

zmotorsports said:
...This whole work thing is really stifling my Jeeping and RVing. ;)

Mike
Without a large cadre of volunteers, the FMCA 4wheelers would die a slow ugly death. There are a bunch of back-end activities that make the club work and likely members have no idea of how much work is involved keeping the train on the track. We are now a fairly large (~1,000 individuals or about 500 member families) club and the recent growth spurt placed a huge demand on volunteers, almost brought us to our knees. But we got past that thanks to some really great leadership. Our web committee (I'm webmaster) has several members so we are now spreading the work around.

zmotorsports said:
Our hosting experience needs some polishing.  Still working on that.

We're hosting a "non-official" get together in Ouray in August already.

This whole work thing is really stifling my Jeeping and RVing. ;)

Mike

I am reserved at the KOA in Ouray for your event. The highlight of my summer plans.

Back
Top Bottom