Toad for Allegro Open Road 36UA 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowmonkey

We just purchased a Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36UA gas Ford V10 chassis. The hitch is rated for 5,000 lb and knowing that this is the "max", we're wondering what is really a comfortable weight to pull. Would like to pull 4,000 lb...maybe an GMC Traverse. Or is that still pushing it? I'm asking because my only prior experience towing is with my SUV towing an ultralite camper. My SUV is rated to pull 4,000 lb, but though it pulled it, it really struggled. I've never towed anything behind a motorhome.  So, realizing that "max" is not ideal and under 3,000 is a bit too small...any recommendations? Does anyone else out there tow with their  Allegro Open Road? Thanks so much for any input!

Lauren

I'll be interested in other responses.  We have an Allegro Open Road 36LA being built for us now and after much thought and research just bought a Buick Envision for our toad.  We love the car and at 3600 pounds from everything I have discovered it should tow well behind the Tiffin.  We also got a great deal on a new 2017 Envision with almost everything they put on them except the moonroof. 

One concern: The hitch is rated for 5000 lbs, but the difference between the GVWR and GCWR is only 4000 lbs.  That means that if the coach is loaded to it's max weight, the toad should not exceed 4000 lbs.  [GCWR is the maximum combined weight of thte coach and whatever is towed.]

What is the Unloaded Weight (UVW) shown on the OCCC placard inside the coach?  From that, you can guestimate how much the loaded coach may weigh.  HINT: it will be a lot more than you think! I would assume you will carry at least 1500 lbs of stuff on most trips, and 2000 lbs is a safer bet. If you will live long term in the coach, think higher yet.

All-in-all, most gas chassis coaches can handle a 4000 lb toad without worry. 5000 would be stretching it.

We tow a Jeep Wrangler behind our gas motorhome.  It weighs 4,600 lbs.  That's about 400 more than what the specifications state.  In our case, a steel bumper adds maybe 100 lbs.  But usually additional equipment increases the weight of an vehicle.  Also what you carry in the toad while pulling it.  In our situation maybe another 100+ lbs in the Jeep. 

Our situation is similar to yours.  We have a hitch rated for 5,000 lbs, but there's only 4,000 difference between GVWR and GCWR.  As a result, we make sure we don't overload the motorhome.  Our combined weight is between 25-26,000 lbs.  So we're close to max combined.  Our motorhome has a 2005 Workhorse Chassis with a Chevy 8.1 Vortec engine.  It has an after market tuner which bumps the HP to 400 and Torque to just over 500 lbs.  For the most part, we pull the Jeep with no problem.  The Grade Brake also manages to keep us at a safe downhill speed on steep grades with minimal service brake usage.  I believe the Ford uses a similar system that is or was called Tow Haul.  We had that in a 2005 Ford F250 Diesel and it worked very well in managing the weight of our truck and trailer. 

Be safe and weigh both the motorhome and toad after you purchase it and load it for travel. 

Back
Top Bottom