Open mic' offerings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Getting ready for open mic' offerings, I thought I'd add a George Formby number known by us olde Brits ... 'Leaning On a Lamp(ost)':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEymZ3rXOmc

One of a few of George's numbers that used a simple strum on his banjo ukulele (except for a breakout near the end). Many of his numbers used his self-taught split strum, which is beyond my strumming abilities. Meanwhile, I'd have to sing an octave (or two) lower.

Yesterday I learned that someone else is planning to audition that number. I'm off to find something else.

You could always do "Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost overnight" it's a catchy tune and funny......

Aye, but Lonnie Donegan had a skiffle band. Don't know how it would sound on ukulele  ;D

It could be played, with practice; Easy chord progression and Lonnie's skiffle strum. But I wouldn't be ready to perform by Tuesday. Couldn't see the Band playing/singing it, but maybe a small/breakout group comprised of a uke, a bass and a washboard.

Tom said:
It could be played, with practice; Easy chord progression and Lonnie's skiffle strum. But I wouldn't be ready to perform by Tuesday. Couldn't see the Band playing/singing it, but maybe a small/breakout group comprised on a uke, a bass and a washboard.
I thought you were a miracle worker !

8Muddypaws said:
How about "Shaving Cream".  I think there's about 300 verses.  Make an evening of it!
Had to look that one up, sounds like a song that could get out of control ??

jackiemac said:
You could always do "Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost overnight" it's a catchy tune and funny......
It's actually a rewrite/cover of an earlier song, "Does The Spearmint Lose its Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight?", recorded by The Happiness Boys in 1924. Lonnie Donegan simply rewrote it, in part because the word "Spearmint" is trademarked in the UK.

https://youtu.be/wZROheJqVig

Scott, we don't video the open mic' sessions, but we have a number of videos of the band's concerts on YouTube. The link(s) to playlists have been posted in the past.

Meanwhile, the purpose of our open mic' sessions is to audition numbers for possible inclusion in future concerts; If the offerings are playable and singable by the band, they have a chance of being selected. Typically, 50% of the numbers in a given concert came from prior open mic's.

Tom said:
Getting ready for open mic' offerings, I thought I'd add a George Formby number known by us olde Brits ... 'Leaning On a Lamp(ost)':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEymZ3rXOmc

One of a few of George's numbers that used a simple strum on his banjo ukulele (except for a breakout near the end). Many of his numbers used his self-taught split strum, which is beyond my strumming abilities. Meanwhile, I'd have to sing an octave (or two) lower.

Yesterday I learned that someone else is planning to audition that number. I'm off to find something else.

Had to look that one up, sounds like a song that could get out of control ??

That's it's charm!

A woman fell out of a window
Then she had a terrible fit
For when she fell out of the window
She fell into a barrel of .....

Shaving cream, always be clean,
Shave every day and you'll always look keen.

Simple 3/4 rythem and 1-4-5 chords.

Another good one would be Tom Lehrers "An Irish Lullaby".  I have a fake sheet and MP3 if anyone's interested.  (It might be better known as "Rickety tickety Tin".

About a maid I'll sing a song rickety ticketety tin
About a maid I'll sing a song, she didn't have her family long.
Not only did she do them wrong........
She did every one of them in, them in,
She did every one of them in.

This one is 2/4 time and moves along at breakneck speed.  Good thing too, there's plenty of verses.

Am I Helping Tom?  ;)

Thanks Russ. Shaving cream is not for me. I have a lead sheet for An Irish Lullaby and a number of other Irish songs; Oops, a different song. I think they'll need to wait until the next open mic' sessions.

[quote author=scottydl]Time for some video of you (Tom!) with your actual open mic performances!
[/quote]

Time for some constructive contributions Scott  ;)

8Muddypaws said:
How about "Shaving Cream".  I think there's about 300 verses.  Make an evening of it!
300 verses? Try many thousands of verses. Dr. Demento (Barry Hansen, a friend of mine) has a weekly radio show playing bizarre and funny records. He used to preform Shaving Creme every week with all brand new verses made up the previous week using the current events of the day. I listened to him for many years and got so sick of the song I would fast forward through it. I used to tape his show since it was on 10 until midnight and I was busy doing other things during those hours.

That's where I first heard it.  And when I was old enough to drink my favorite bar, The Boat House in Santa Ana Ca, used to play it about once an hour.

Tom said:
Time for some constructive contributions Scott  ;)

I have professional video of myself playing drums at a church gig, but I can't share it here for copyright reasons (seriously).  But I promise, it exists!!  ;D

[quote author=scottydl]... I can't share it here for copyright reasons (seriously).[/quote]

Copyright on the video, or the written music? Usually, copyright applies to copies of written music, whereas performing rights apply to performing or broadcasting music. Usually, the venue is covered for performing rights under a license with one of the 3 main performing rights organizations (ASCAP, BMI or SESAC); If the venue doesn't have a license, it's down to the performer(s) to have a license. I'd be surprised if the church didn't have a license.

Back
Top Bottom