Interesting video on u-joints and CV joints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That helped me understand conversation in a different post about possible cause of vibration being phasing. Thanks for the post!

I find that sort of thing very interesting.  yet another thing that many shade tree mechanics don't even know that they don't know.

I remember back to my teens and early twenties...I did quite a lot of u-joint replacements on my various cars and trucks.  Never knew about phasing them.  I wonder what sort of star trek engineering I did and never even knew it!

I'm reminded of my time as a maintenance engineer in a pulp/paper mill right out of college (mechanical engineer).  We did predictive and preventive maintenance stuff.... a lot of vibration analysis, alignment work, balancing, etc...

At some point we had some engineers come in from the folks we bought threaded fasteners from.  They put on a 1-day course on threaded fasteners for our millwrights and I got to sit in on it....yes a full day...on how to properly apply and tighten nuts, bolts, screws.  Now here I am, a recent college grad having taken several extra elective courses in advanced machine design... a lot of which dealt with threaded fasteners.....and before that I had grown up a shade tree mechanic working on cars and small engines..... 
Wow....I had no idea that there was so much to know about tightening the lug nuts on a car!!!

blw2 said:
I had no idea that there was so much to know about tightening the lug nuts on a car!!!

Righty tighty, leftie loosie. (Except those oddballs that were rightie loosie....  ;) )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom