Scary Sight on I-44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

Driving I-44 towards Tulsa this afternoon I saw a car stopped on the right shoulder. As usual I started moving to the inside lane. Noticed there wasn't anyone around the car. About 100 yards past the car I saw a tow dolly also stopped on the shoulder. Another 100 yards ahead there was a Class A on the shoulder stopped with brake lights on.

Then it hit me. He had just lost his toad!

Amazingly both car and tow dolly were off on the shoulder looking like they had just pulled off and parked. I couldn't see any damage.
It could have been so much worse.

I double checked my towbar setup at the next stop with extra care.

Tom

I'm surprised that both the car and the dolly disconnected, apparently at the same time. I wonder if something else was going on, although I've no idea what...

Ya, I thought that too. And I couldn?t see any damage, and they were positioned as if just parked.
I can?t figure why the 100 yards between each unit.

Could be that they originally stopped more in thee ditch and had been repositioned already. I think the MH was backing up, but not sure.

Were you heading east or west Tom?  We live in a suburb of Springfield, Mo and always wonder if any RVForum folks are in those many coaches we see on I-44 and US65 heading towards Branson.  One day between Branson and Springfield - about 35 miles - we counted over 130 RVs as we traveled south on US 65 to Branson.  Sadly one day last year we saw a motorhome burn to the ground right at our exit on US65.  The pavement was melted to the point where we still feel the change in texture every time we drive over it coming off the exit.  This is the exit that you take for Lamberts Restaurant - home of the throwed rolls.  Anyway, good observation and it would be nice to know exactly what happened.  I never did find out what caused that motorhome fire.

Bill

Gee Bill, we're practically neighbors.  We were one of those RV's you saw on 65 last Oct.  We over-nighted at Carthage to pay a visit to Colaw Salvage and then hit 65 south to Arkansas. 
Right now we're parked near Shirley, AR, about 135 miles from Lamberts. 

Wish I had been that lucky but in my case the safety cables.. Well do you ever wonder if those safety cables will hold?  I found out the answer.. YES.

Totally OT, but it is a story about safety chains. My teenage sons (maybe 17 and 13) were fishing with me next to a seldom used boat ramp on a small lake. Guy backed in a small boat and it came off the ball - no chains were in use. My kids jumped in to grab the trailer before the entire thing went in the lake (like I said, a small boat but also strong kids). The guy jumped out of his truck and together they all pulled it back to the truck and got it hitched on. My oldest then gave the guy a lesson in checking the hitch ball plus how to use chains (crossed over so tongue would hit those instead of pavement). I was quite proud that all those hitching up lessons had stuck so well.

UTTransplant said:
Totally OT, but it is a story about safety chains. My teenage sons (maybe 17 and 13) were fishing with me next to a seldom used boat ramp on a small lake. Guy backed in a small boat and it came off the ball - no chains were in use. My kids jumped in to grab the trailer before the entire thing went in the lake (like I said, a small boat but also strong kids). The guy jumped out of his truck and together they all pulled it back to the truck and got it hitched on. My oldest then gave the guy a lesson in checking the hitch ball plus how to use chains (crossed over so tongue would hit those instead of pavement). I was quite proud that all those hitching up lessons had stuck so well.
YOU SHOULD BE PROUD!!!

The kids could probably get through to the guy better than an adult - especially right after they saved his boat!!

Old_Crow said:
Gee Bill, we're practically neighbors.  We were one of those RV's you saw on 65 last Oct.  We over-nighted at Carthage to pay a visit to Colaw Salvage and then hit 65 south to Arkansas. 
Right now we're parked near Shirley, AR, about 135 miles from Lamberts.

Be sure and wave next time Wally.  We may just be one of those cars or coaches heading in the same direction.  Our son works in Branson and has a knack for getting us free show tickets just when we feel the need to go visit him......lol  Lamberts is quite the business.  Only two miles from the house and we pass it to go practically anywhere.  Their parking lot is usually jammed (except in January) with cars, tour buses, motorhomes and all other sorts of RVs.  We go there for special occasions but don't eat for two days prior - the portion sizes are HUGE.....lol

Bill

Back
Top Bottom