Propane Regulator Frozen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mopar25

Weather has been below freezing lately and in preparation for heading South this month I discovered my propane furnace or stove will not light probably due to no propane flowing past the regulator. Have a 07 Cardinal 31 RKS'. For the past couple of days the weather has warmed above freezing.  The tank I'm using today is warm & full but the propane regulator glass indicator is still showing red/green triangles indicating empty. I poured some boiling water over regulator but sill nothing.  Regulator is switched on to the right tank.  Is there a possibility of frozen water in the line (propane can have a small amount of water in it the freezing weather may have caused it to freeze)?  Have nothing like this happen in the past few winters.  Any suggestions?
Thanks

We never encountered that, so I'm only guessing what might help, other than warm weather.  You could try disconnecting and use a compressor to try and blow out the line, or even try using a bit of gas line antifreeze, which is usually wood alcohol, and maybe both.  FWIW, it may not be the line, but the orifice at the end that lights.

Ed

The tank valves have a safety valve built into them. If the valve senses a large flow of gas like a broken line, it will shut off the propane. The same thing can happen if you open the valves too fast. The valves think there is a broken line.  I'm told that it's just a small ball check valve.

Try shutting both tank valves and let them sit for a while. Then open them SLOWLY. Then try the stove. If that doesn't work, remove the tanks and bang the base of them on a hard surface. If the ball is seated and stuck, this may break them loose.

Attention:  Rene T    I removed my full tank and banged it twice on the driveway, then hooked it up again and opened the valve slowly.  The site glass on the regulator turned to "all green".  I lite the stove top then the furnace and all is working again.  It pays to ask - thanks again.  We are in Southern British Columbia just North of Seattle and the weather can be chilly as we head South at the end of the month.  DH

mopar25 said:
Attention:  Rene T    I removed my full tank and banged it twice on the driveway, then hooked it up again and opened the valve slowly.  The site glass on the regulator turned to "all green".  I lite the stove top then the furnace and all is working again.  It pays to ask - thanks again.  We are in Southern British Columbia just North of Seattle and the weather can be chilly as we head South at the end of the month.  DH

That's awesome. Thanks for getting back to us and glad we could help. Safe travels.

Back
Top Bottom