Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: 2005 Itasca Sunnova Parallax Charger... Failure?  (Read 4145 times)

rookieRV

• ---
Re: 2005 Itasca Sunnova Parallax Charger... Failure?
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »
I just finished the W3YY interface (in an Altoids Tin ;)) late Sunday ;D, and have begun testing. RX worked on first shot! 8) It's keying TX, I just have to familiarize myself w/ aligning the radio and program's orientation (sidebands, mark/space conventions, etc).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:52:08 AM by rookieRV »

rookieRV

• ---
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2018, 03:48:48 PM »
Update... yesterday the Wizard on the PD has gone from slow blink “storage” mode to a faster blink “normal” mode, after the AC shore power went off (half-hour or so) :o. I noticed the faster blinks after the AC restored, and at first I thought that it may have been that routine 15-20 minute ‘top-off’ charge that the PD performs every 23 hours, but the faster blink has now obviously lasted too long for that to be the case (continuously for over a day now) ???

The PDs fan also seems taxed quite a bit more often than before the power went out briefly... running in ‘high mode’ more frequently. :( This, while we still use a AC LED light for the bulk of our night sight needs. Wife recently felt need to relevel hydraulic jacks, that was last weekend/5 days ago (did nothing unusual to Wizard indicator back then, it remained in storage mode)  :-\

$400ea. batteries would have prevented any of this?  ::) I dunno  >:(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:33:48 AM by rookieRV »

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2018, 07:31:31 AM »
How old are your batteries?
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

rookieRV

• ---
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2018, 08:09:08 AM »
Brand-new  Duracell SL124MDC (qty 2)... installed a new batt pair @ the same time as receiving the brand-new PD charger/converter,  abt. 1-2 months ago.

From a previous message of mine: 

"... the original Interstate batteries running with the Parallax 45 amp, 2 stage charger/converter for the last five years were SRM-24s, 550 CCAs ea., 690 MCAs ea., marine deep cycle group 24s.

New batteries are (were?) Duracell SL124MDC (group 24s), 500 CCAs ea., 615 MCAs ea., 150 minutes @ 23 amps ea., marine deep cycle group 24s (so, yes, they do sound like comparable battery types?)...

As maintenence-free as the other battery types seem, we live here, full-time, on the ‘cheap’. No dry camping/boondocking ever, only my wife that nags me to check the batt water levels every month! But, hey, the old Interstate pair lasted FIVE YEARS!"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:49:00 AM by rookieRV »

rookieRV

• ---
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2018, 06:07:25 AM »
Whew!  8) (I think ;D)
  Two days after the short, 20 minute short AC shore power outage, and the Wizard has gone back to slow-blink ‘storage’ mode (so things are appearently still working as they should be  :) ). Just seems strange that it would feel the need for a seemingly extended charge associated with a seemingly brief power demand (the fridge flicking from electric to propane during that brief interim of time was the only possible batt. demand). ???

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2018, 06:39:04 AM »
(the fridge flicking from electric to propane during that brief interim of time was the only possible batt. demand).

Perhaps that was the only additional 12v load, but all the normal, ongoing 12v consumption continues but now draws from the battery rather than the converter.   Once the battery voltage drops even a tiny bit, the charger is going to kick out of storage mode and begin normal charging for awhile.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

rookieRV

• ---
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2018, 07:07:02 AM »
That I would expect, sure... but the charger seemingly treating the batts like something completely drained down to baseline zero and in need of a full charge, for twenty minutes of demand, that I don’t expect.

When my cell phone, electric razor, etc. requires a partial charge, that’s exactly what would be given to them, at a portion of the time, as required. I gotta response from a tech guy at PD, things seem fairly normal to him. After looking at the response from PD, a 2-day +/- charge is generally normal (in ‘normal’ mode, no pun intended), but when? Every time that the power flickers?

If the outdoor storage compartment nearby the stairs wouldn’t require too long a length of 00 ga wire to integrate, then maybe I need to consider A) 2-4 more parallel batts, (buy one a month or so :o) or,  B) start all over w/ six volt golf cart batts :o!?!?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:41:40 AM by rookieRV »

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2018, 07:37:03 AM »
Your batteries should be float charged at around 13.2 or 13.3V, like Gary mentioned if you are drawing current from lights, etc the charger should increase current supplied.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

rookieRV

• ---
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2018, 08:18:18 AM »
Perhaps so, but since the install +2 day very first charge, the Wizard has never shown anything below (above? Never demanded more than)  ‘storage’ mode... until the power incident a couple days ago.

Perhaps these are typically discrete functions that all power charger/converters employ (even the old Parallax 2 stage did as well, w/o any indication), but now I have a wizard displaying to me every time that such occurrences/stages/changes take place, easily making OCDs like myself worry ;D Now I only need to know when to really worry  ::)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:56:05 PM by rookieRV »

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2018, 12:16:36 PM »
You can't tell for sure what is going on without voltage readings.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

rookieRV

• ---
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2018, 04:43:00 AM »
Right, and I assume that a differing blink rate from the wizard... indicating charge mode (float, normal, storage) is giving me a relative idea :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:44:38 AM by rookieRV »

Hosted by Over The Network