Amperage Monitor. Anyone ever use one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redrockerstl55

Hey Guys,

I bought one of these devices to measure how many amps my RV was pulling.  I was headed to Northern Indiana to visit family for Christmas.  We took our travel trailer which has a 4 seasons package.  I was parked in my fathers driveway and only had access to a 15 amp connection.  So this P3 P4460 monitor was a huge help estimating what I could run in the way of furnace, lights and electric heaters why we were subjected to temperatures around 5 degrees and wind chills at -20F. 

Hope this video helps someone out. 

https://youtu.be/GIZhXHxJEM0

any of us here in the forum suggest you invest in a good SURGE PROTECTOR such as the Probressive Industries HW 30 or 50 C (the number refers to your RV 30 amp gets a 30, I will let you figure out the 50)

These show amprage (per leg on the 50) in addition to their other functions.

Punomatic said:
I installed one of these in my trailer so I can monitor volts and amps.

I wonder if this meter can be mounted in an electrical box.  It is usually unacceptable to run individual 120 volt wires to exposed terminals.

I don't know why it couldn't be installed in a box. You might have to modify a blank cover plate to accept the meter. In an RV, finding room in a wall for a box might be a challenge. Perhaps you could make a custom box from some sheet metal.

Many RVs come factory equipped with a power monitor panel, either as part of a 30A management system or with a surge-protector type device. They read up to 30A or 50A, depending on the RV.

The Kill-A-Watt is excellent (I've owned one for years) but limited to 15A max, so be careful when you turn things on. If you forget and have an a/c on, you might dry the Kill-A-Watt.

Thank you for the tip on that Gary.  Much appreciated.  This was a great device to give me an idea of how many things (ceramic heaters and LED lights) I could plug into a 15A outlet when we were in 5 degree temps.  I had no idea a device like this existed until I googled it. 

I appreciate your insight on being careful not to overload it. 

Thank you. 

The Kill-A-Watt also measures frequency, which is an easy way to verify a conventional generator is running at the correct speed.  This doesn't apply to inverter generators where the frequency is set by the electronics, not engine RPM.

My Kill A Watt did everything but read the voltage correctly, off by about 20 volts.

WILDEBILL308 said:
When it is riley cold you can run a second extension to power your electric heater. Just use a different circuit for the power source.  ;)
Bill
When using the heater, it can be powered from the pole on a different circuit.  Run a cord to the camper and then run a FLAT cord (appliance extension) through the door or window so the opening is small, then to the heater.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom