rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Any programming required when adding batteries?  (Read 623 times)

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
Any programming required when adding batteries?
« on: January 07, 2018, 09:46:24 PM »
Tomorrow I am having 2 batteries added to my system, giving me a total of four 6v batteries. I have a Blue Sky 40 MPPT charge controller. Will the controller require any re-programming? Or is it seamless as far as the solar components go?  Iím having a rack welded up and the batteries installed at an RV service center.  So I just like to have some understanding of what needs to be done.
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat
http://www.debsrvtravels.com

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
Re: Any programming required when adding batteries?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:36:04 AM »
Do you have the manual for the controller?  If there is something in there about the total number of AH (Amp Hours) you have in batteries then that must be changed.   I have a Morningstar TriStar MPPT controller and there isn't a parameter for the total # of AH's. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:00:26 AM »
I do have the manual. Iíll check for that. Thanks!

Checked the manual.  The Blue Sky does have a place in the setup menu to enter the battery amp hours.  It says the remaining battery capacity function and the advanced charge control uses this setting.  I'll need to change that value from 220AH to 440AH.

I don't see anything else that would need to be changed.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:48:50 AM by Debra17 »
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 09:56:13 AM »
Are the new batteries close to the same age as the ones already in your unit, and are they from the same manufacturer?  Age can be a factor in charging all of the batteries equally, and I know that my Interstate Batteries take a much higher absorb voltage than most others of the same type. I had to reprogram my controller specifically for these Interstate Batteries.

Frank.
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:17:02 AM »
Yep, they are the same mfr/model. The first 2 are 5 months old. I originally intended to add the new ones a couple months ago but circumstances intervened. I think they are close enough in age though that I should be ok.
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 10:29:45 AM »
My understanding is that within 6 months you are probably fine.

One thing about it, you're going to love the additional capacity! We have 6 golf cart batteries in our 30 foot travel trailer. I replaced them all this month, but I did it quickly in the parking lot at Costco. I couldn't believe how poorly they performed, until a few days later when I checked the electrolyte and I found that two of them were not connected.  :-\  Correcting that made a big difference!

Frank.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:32:15 AM by Frank B »
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »
Thatís funny 😁. Iíll be glad to have the additional reserve if I get a few cloudy days in a row.
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »
My understanding is that within 6 months you are probably fine.

One thing about it, you're going to love the additional capacity! We have 6 golf cart batteries in our 30 foot travel trailer. I replaced them all this month, but I did it quickly in the parking lot at Costco. I couldn't believe how poorly they performed, until a few days later when I checked the electrolyte and I found that two of them were not connected.  :-\  Correcting that made a big difference!

Frank.

Sounds like you had one of my kind of days ;D
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS