Any programming required when adding batteries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debra17

Tomorrow I am having 2 batteries added to my system, giving me a total of four 6v batteries. I have a Blue Sky 40 MPPT charge controller. Will the controller require any re-programming? Or is it seamless as far as the solar components go?  I?m having a rack welded up and the batteries installed at an RV service center.  So I just like to have some understanding of what needs to be done.

Do you have the manual for the controller?  If there is something in there about the total number of AH (Amp Hours) you have in batteries then that must be changed.  I have a Morningstar TriStar MPPT controller and there isn't a parameter for the total # of AH's. 

I do have the manual. I?ll check for that. Thanks!

Checked the manual.  The Blue Sky does have a place in the setup menu to enter the battery amp hours.  It says the remaining battery capacity function and the advanced charge control uses this setting.  I'll need to change that value from 220AH to 440AH.

I don't see anything else that would need to be changed.

Are the new batteries close to the same age as the ones already in your unit, and are they from the same manufacturer?  Age can be a factor in charging all of the batteries equally, and I know that my Interstate Batteries take a much higher absorb voltage than most others of the same type. I had to reprogram my controller specifically for these Interstate Batteries.

Frank.

Yep, they are the same mfr/model. The first 2 are 5 months old. I originally intended to add the new ones a couple months ago but circumstances intervened. I think they are close enough in age though that I should be ok.

My understanding is that within 6 months you are probably fine.

One thing about it, you're going to love the additional capacity! We have 6 golf cart batteries in our 30 foot travel trailer. I replaced them all this month, but I did it quickly in the parking lot at Costco. I couldn't believe how poorly they performed, until a few days later when I checked the electrolyte and I found that two of them were not connected.  :-\  Correcting that made a big difference!

Frank.

That?s funny ?. I?ll be glad to have the additional reserve if I get a few cloudy days in a row.

Frank B said:
My understanding is that within 6 months you are probably fine.

One thing about it, you're going to love the additional capacity! We have 6 golf cart batteries in our 30 foot travel trailer. I replaced them all this month, but I did it quickly in the parking lot at Costco. I couldn't believe how poorly they performed, until a few days later when I checked the electrolyte and I found that two of them were not connected.  :-\  Correcting that made a big difference!

Frank.

Sounds like you had one of my kind of days ;D

Back
Top Bottom