Possible Game Changer F150 engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpencerPJ

Ran across a nice article, instantly thought of us RVers who drag our home away from home.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2018/01/08/diesel-finally-arrives-in-ford-f-150-with-30-mpg-and-11400-pound-towing-spring-2018/?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix&yptr=yahoo&ref=yfp#7bab64342403

It really doesnt change anything the current F150 can pull almost that but if the tongue weight is greater than the trucks payload it means nothing
A deisel will give better mileage but also cost you $7-10k more
Look at the Ram eco or the Nissan Cummins neither have great sellers

The greater low-end torque of the diesel should make it feel more lively when towing, with better acceleration as well as reduced high-RPM noise. Probably a bit better Mpg towing too.  The tow rating, though, is no better than the EcoBoost gas engines and payload will still be the limiting factor for 5W and even larger TT's.

The article says the Ram Eco diesel is about 20% of Ram  truck sales, which kind of surprised me.  Based on other auto industry comments I've read, I didn't think it was that popular. The perception was clouded by the EPA diesel emissions hoopla, though. Now that has been resolved, maybe we will see what buyers really think about small diesels in both trucks and SUVs.

The article indicated the 11,400 lb tow rating was certified by the SAE J2807 standard. Wouldn't they have taken the tongue weight into consideration. The diesel will cost anywhere from $3-$4,000 more than the V-8 and the ECO boost motors. I was at the mall yesterday and saw a new 150 with the 3.5 ECO boost. It was priced at $42k. 4x4, xtra cab.

There is always a market for the various towing combinations. Some are niches in very limited applications, others like the E-boost have caught on across the board.

Personally, diesels are noisy and stink. That said, my neighbors loves them. They even have a diesel zero turn mower.

Of course I still complain about the lack of manual transmissions. :) :)

RGP said:
Personally, diesels are noisy and stink.

That was true with older diesels. Newer ones do neither. With the DEF systems in diesels now, they are no louder and make way less particulate matter. They really are amazing motors. Or course all that technology is not cheap.

RGP said:
There is always a market for the various towing combinations. Some are niches in very limited applications, others like the E-boost have caught on across the board.

Personally, diesels are noisy and stink. That said, my neighbors loves them. They even have a diesel zero turn mower.

Of course I still complain about the lack of manual transmissions. :) :)

Check out the Ram, still available with standard trans. Like early stated better check out newer diesels. There is no black smoke very little smell and not near as loud as in the past. Check out a newer diesels you might be surprised how they have changed.

Good for Ford.
  Not every F150 owner tows a 5th wheel trailer or a TT.
  The diesel should give owners good mpg on their daily commute plus no screaming rpms to get'r done on every hill.

The article indicated the 11,400 lb tow rating was certified by the SAE J2807 standard. Wouldn't they have taken the tongue weight into consideration.
No.  J2807 does not address tongue weight at all - it is strictly tow rating. 

Explanation: Different types of trailers have different tongue weights and percentages. A tow dolly with a car, for example, has almost zero tongue weight but can still weigh (pull)several thousand lbs. Ditto for any trailer that has the axles spaced fairly widely, e.g. car haulers, farm wagons and machinery, water haulers, etc.  Further, 5W, gooseneck and bumper-pull (ball-hitch) trailers all have different tongue weight needs as well, yet all are subject to the max tow weight limits.  Maybe some day the SAE will try to address that rating with another standard, but it's too complex to deal with in the current J2807.

I have a neighbor friend who has a 1500 Ram EcoDiesel and he LOVES it!  Got another neighbor with the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same engine and he LOVES his also.  I would like to have either of those, especially with a manual transmission, but cant justify a small truck.  I have to have my flatbed.  I am considering a new truck this year and it will definitely be diesel, 4x4 and manual transmission.  Except for my few two stroke pieces of equipment, everything I own is diesel powered.  Modern diesels are very clean running.  Even my 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 that has never had any aftertreatment devices in the exhaust is clean running compared to my 1996 model.  New ones have zero smell/smoke and are actually cleaner running than many gasoline engines.  My diesel firewood splitter is far cleaner running than my friend's gasoline powered one and mine is bigger to boot.
Back on point: I am happy to see the smaller trucks finally getting diesel options.  I would love to see the planned Nissan Frontier with the 2.8L Cummins mated to a 6 speed manual transmission.  Would be a sweet runabout truck.

Manual transmissions went out of fashion in the US several years ago. We had a 1998 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins and 6 speed manual and it was a single cab. Great truck! We spent 5 years in Europe (2010-2015). If you have an automatic trans there they call it a posh car. Most all their vehicles are manual. Even the big tour buses. A Nissan Frontier with a diesel would be a great little truck. Wonder what the tow rating will be. Mine is rated for about 6000lbs.

Oldgator73 said:
Manual transmissions went out of fashion in the US several years ago. We had a 1998 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins and 6 speed manual and it was a single cab. Great truck! We spent 5 years in Europe (2010-2015). If you have an automatic trans there they call it a posh car. Most all their vehicles are manual. Even the big tour buses. A Nissan Frontier with a diesel would be a great little truck. Wonder what the tow rating will be. Mine is rated for about 6000lbs.

Tow rating will notchange much the issue is payload

Every truck starts at the factory with the same payload provided it has the same suspension components ie, same trans, rear end, springs wheel base etc
But then itchanges

ie 1500 or f150 starts with a pay load of 1700lbs( just an example) but add power wiindows and payload drops50 lbs for the motors add power seats take off 50lbs for the motors, add steps take off, add tonnoeu cover take off, so quickly a bare bones xl can carry more than a lariet which can carry more than a platinum etc based on how much stuff is in the truck

Diesel weigh more and usually have heavier springs so even if its rated to pull more unless your pulling something that you can move the weight around your not much further ahead

Case in point

We see a lot of F150's here with gooseneck horse trailers because its pin weight is low as the horses are in the rear part of the trailer BUT a 5th wheel places a much larger portion of its weight over the pin with the bedroom

Or a boat with the motor further back from the hitch

One of the things that truly scares me is when I see a pick up advertised by hooking to something like the Queen Mary and towing it.

Ok so it can pull (in lowest gear) one very heavy load.. BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SOME IDIOT PULLS OUT IN FRONT OF YOU???

Too much trailer and even with trailer brakes.. it won't be a pretty sight. and I've seen too many "not pretty Sights. (Thankfully most of them via remote operated cameras. Only a couple where I( was on scene).

John From Detroit said:
One of the things that truly scares me is when I see a pick up advertised by hooking to something like the Queen Mary and towing it.

Ok so it can pull (in lowest gear) one very heavy load.. BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SOME IDIOT PULLS OUT IN FRONT OF YOU???

Too much trailer and even with trailer brakes.. it won't be a pretty sight. and I've seen too many "not pretty Sights. (Thankfully most of them via remote operated cameras. Only a couple where I( was on scene).

One of the events on the strongest man competition is they pull a tractor trailer. They can certainly pull it on flat ground but I would to see them stop it at the bottom of a hill.

Personally I will trade low end torque for another 300 or 400 more pounds of cargo capacity. My F-150 can pull 9500 lbs. but my max cargo is 1411 lbs.  Subtract 750 lbs. for TT tongue weight and not much left for two adults camp toys.

Ill never understand the hype of the half ton being able to tow a mountain. But, at least I wont have to worry about that.

The 3.5L ecoboost is already fantastic for low end torque and towing.  When not towing, I see 18-22mpg depending on what time of year it is (drops in winter). That's in a 13 with the 6speed transmission.  The newer 10 speed is even better.  Everything I've seen so far regarding this new diesel is that the lowest trim it will be offered in is Lariat (higher vehicle weight) and weighs quite a bit more than the ecoboost or the 5.0L V8. The specs also weren't very impressive.

Even if it got 30mpg, the average owner would never realize a savings because of the purchase premium as well as the fact that diesel costs more than gasoline now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom