better fresh water hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

looking for recommendations for a better fresh water hose. we started out with the Camco hoses and I replaced one about 6 months ago and it is leaking at the "brass" male connection.
they worked great for 5 plus years before we started full timing but now I want a better hose or  a suggestion for replacing the ends- thanks

I have replaced a few ends in hoses.

one thing I have found that helps me for different reasons in different places.

Where I am now: the water district over chlorinates. so the water tasts a bit.. bleach-y
I fill the on board and let it sit, Chlorine bleach does not last long in an open container or a vented one so the taste is much improved.> The hose is not under pressure (up to 120psi + in this park, enough to blow it apart) so no leakage. also for the last week it has been sub freezing out. My hose has not been botherd however as it's in storage. Will hook up later today if things continue to warm (about 40 out and headed into the 50s')

in the summer I shuttle between two parks. One has a good multiple well system water supply.. The other has "issues" (mostly sand in teh water) So i fill up at the good one and do not evern take the hose out at the sandy park.

In all cases the hose is pressure free so no leaks save w3hen ref9illing the 80 gallon tank.

Run your water through a simple charcoal filter to remove the chlorine.

We have the ZeroG which we like, although we did have a leak at the connection, but I keep receipts and we got it exchanged with no problems. It is so easy to store.

Honestly, I'd go with the strategy of buying say a "mid" grade hose and just replacing it every couple years or so....rather than spending a lot

Otherwise....I've had my eye out for a while for a smaller braided polyurethane hose, similar to nylabrade, on the order of maybe 3/8 inch.  It would coil and stow so much easier than standard water hoses.  I have a 1/4 inch air hose that stows very nice..... like this
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ATWZV8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1/4 inch would probably be too small, but 3/8 inch would be plenty for my RV water needs, maybe except for the worst of parks where available pressure at the tap is something sad, like 10psi ....
at most, flow in a typical RV would be 1 shower + 1 sink....someone using the kitchen sink while someone else is in the shower.....but usually 1 of those at a time so round about 2GPM at normal demand so pressure drop would prob be single digits....

thanks for the replies- I would like to stay with a 5/8" hose. I run that to my filters then off of the filters I use (3)  1/2" hoses to the water softener, outdoor kitchen and a 3rd hose to the fridge for the ice and water dispenser.  I might go down to Ace and see if they have good ends to mend the hose, it's in great shape.

This website offers high quality potable water system products. I've used their hoses (custom lengths) with excellent results. They advertise a 1/2" hose, but I know their supplier has 5/8 and 3/4 as well, so maybe they would provide that if asked.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABCS.htm

Good quality brass hose repair fittings are available at better hardware stores and most plumbing supply stores.  You want solid brass for long lasting and safe connections.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom