Kitchen Sink Clogged

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IowaNomads

So far we've tried the baking soda and vinegar thing plus a chemical we bought at the RV dealer but no luck. Any other brilliant suggestions so I don't have to pay someone to fix it? Thanks guys.

Why don't you just unscrew the trap . . . remove it and clean it. You can get a small snake and snake it out. Should be a fairly easy job.

We use this in our house and RV drains it will not hurt your pipes. Run HOT water into the drain and follow with a liberal sprinkling of these crystals and in seconds your drain will be clean.  I would make sure your Gray Water Tank valve is open.

https://www.amazon.com/THRIFT-MARKETING-Instant-Drain-Cleaner/dp/B003JDQN10/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515428684&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=instant+out+drain+cleaner

I don't know how much truth there is to this but I'll share what I've been told by a rv repair company. If you use rv antifreeze in your p-traps for winterization, over time it can gum up and clog the traps. His solution is to use LIQUID draino. He states that there is something in their formula that will dissolve the built up slime that antifreeze will cause over time.

I highly recommend that you remove the P-trap and tailpiece and have a look.  Many clogs are in that area, and you can remove them in minutes without tools.  Here's a video (he uses slip-joint pliers, but in my experience that is rarely needed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PI0iaIB6-4

You can do this!  If you don't find any gunk in the pipes and all looks clear, then you'll know to escalate the search and/or bring someone in.  No reason to pay a plumber yet!

I see you are in Iowa..It's cold up there  could your P trap be full of Ice? Try a hair dryer or even a heat gun (CAREFULLY) if there is any doubt..

reniram said:
I see you are in Iowa..It's cold up there  could your P trap be full of Ice? Try a hair dryer or even a heat gun (CAREFULLY) if there is any doubt..

From Iowa but in south Texas lol. Haven't had the chance to try the suggestions yet. The tank is open because we're stationary for now. The trap looks like it can be removed by hand. Is that right? My only concern is if I'll be able to get to it. Jan is going to see if she can get some draino.

Be careful using chemicals for clogged drains. If it doesn't work, now you have a clog with caustic chemicals on top it.

It's always better to try pull the trap and snake the drain.

I have a 2019 keystone alpine 5th wheel. Last night I filled up half of double sink to do dishes and other half to rinse. Both sinks would not drain and actually powder room sink filled with water also. I just left them and by this am all 3 sinks had drained. Does anyone know how I could have drained them if I had wanted to at the time?

Just like any other plumbing clog: drain snake, drain cleaner/opener chemical (Draino, etc), or home brew drain openers such as boiling water.

Here's an article describing 10 ways to get a clogged drain open.

https://www.wisebread.com/10-really-easy-ways-to-unclog-drains

I have two grey tanks one is full the other half way. Should these be emptied even though the only one black tank is only partially full?

Yes, empty the gray tanks. See if the drains flow free. Most likely will. Most folks gray tanks fill a lot quicker than the black tank. We leave our gray tank valves open until our black tank reaches 2/3's. We shut the gray tank valves, then dump and flush the black tank. Then I close the black tank valve, dump the gray tanks, and leave the gray tank valves open until the next time the black tank is at 2/3's again. All this is assuming you're on full hook- up.

Lisaaw4 said:
I have two grey tanks one is full the other half way. Should these be emptied even though the only one black tank is only partially full?
Just as an FYI, your two grey tanks serve separate areas, the second tank does not take over and fill from the first one when the first one is full. One serves the kitchen sink (galley) and the other usually serves the bathroom sink and the shower (and clothes washer when equipped). In other words, when the tank fills, empty it, regardless of the black tank condition. That saved water only serves to flush out the sewer hose after dumping the black tank.

We leave the gray valves open all the time as we are permanently hooked to a drain here. We do have a black tank flush system though.

Thank you so much everyone! Full grey tank was the issue. We are new to this RV world. We are learning as we go. I?m sure I?ll be back very soon! ??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom