Electric side of dual heat water heater not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Relee52

Hello all, we winterized our rig, 2016 FR Surveyor 265 RLDS, while we spent a month away. On return we discovered one of the valves to the water heater had sprung a leak. Before discovering it I turned on the electric side and, in the excitement of having water spewing I forgot to turn it off when I cut off the water supply...not good. So I drained the tank with the electric on. I did, then, remember to turn it off, but too late. My associates and I fixed the leak (I now have pex tools!) installed a new anode heating rod, filled the tank and no heat. The breaker never tripped but I reset it anyway, all to no avail. Fortunately propane still works. There is a reset button on the outside of the tank, but it didn?t trip either.
Any ideas on what steps to try?
TIA
Robert

I'm guessing that it has a heating element like a Home Electric water heater has.  Maybe a couple extra details like name / model #.

You said "new anode heating rod". That's a bit bit confusing, but if you are thinking that the anode does the heating, you have a misunderstanding. The electric heating element is completely different. You can generally find a heating element at Lowes or Home Depot. Look for one that's 1400 or 1500 watts and is 120 volts, not 240 volts.

It is easy, and not uncommon, to burn out the heating element by running it with no water in the tank. Easy to replace, though.  No short, so circuit breaker doesnt trip.

Yes, I did/ do have a misunderstanding since I thought that the anode somehow heated the water?. I knew there was no wire to it but...silly me.
I?ll go look at again! Thanks
rl

Relee52 said:
Yes, I did/ do have a misunderstanding since I thought that the anode somehow heated the water?. I knew there was no wire to it but...silly me.
I?ll go look at again! Thanks
rl

You must have a Suburban water heater. They have the anode rod. Atwood does not. That is actually a sacrificial rod. The minerals in the water attack the rod instead of the tank. That should be looked at annually. When it gets down to maybe 25% left to it, you must change it soon.
The electric element will be behind a plastic cover usually in the front. Remove the cover after shutting off the electric breaker. Then disconnect the 2 wires on the end of the element. Then using a socket, just unscrew the element. Then reverse the steps to install the new element.  Home Depot even sells the wrench for removing the element.

Thanks to all. I?ve done this at home but not had a sacrificial rod which set me down the wrong path but now I?ve got it.
Thanks again.
rl

Relee52 said:
Thanks to all. I?ve done this at home but not had a sacrificial rod which set me down the wrong path but now I?ve got it.
Thanks again.
rl

Nearly all household electric water heaters have an anode rod.  In addition, nearly all never get changed and is a common reason for short water heater life.

On a home water heater the anode rod(s) come out from the top, not the side.  Extended warranty water heaters have two anode rods instead of one so they don't wear out before the warranty is over.

Back
Top Bottom