Warning to check those DEF containers from retail stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I need to relate a recent incident regarding filling the DEF tank from a retail jug of DEF fluid.  While in Red Bay Alabama at the Tiffin service center in November I had the DW pick up two bottles of DEF from Walmart in Russellville. I usually do it myself, but I was staying with the rig while service was being performed. I told her I usually buy the Supertech brand. I failed to tell her to check the seals on the bottles when she picked them up. 

She brought 2 2 1/2 gallon bottles back and left them in the Jeep. The next day I got them out to add them to the tank. I immediately noted that both bottles had white residue around the tops by the pour spouts. I opened one, and the seal was there, but one side of it had been peeled back. The second bottle was in the same condition. I poured a small amount of fluid into a clean Dixie cup and gave it the sniff test. Almost zero smell. 

I have heard of people buying DEF and replacing the contents with tap water and returning the containers for a refund. I just never thought I would see it as the stuff really isn't that expensive. Like $6 or $7 for a 2 1/2 gallon jug.  But considering the damage and cost of draining and refilling the DEF tank, it just was not worth taking the chance.

She took it back and took it to the refund counter. She told the clerk the reason she was returning it. The clerk checked the jugs, and refunded her without question. Diane went to the automotive section and picked up 2 bottles of Peak brand DEF. They were probably $10 or so a bottle. She checked the seals this time and both were tight. 

I checked them when I opened them, and the sniff test showed a definite strong ammonia smell. I added them both and had no issues. I have used the Supertech brand many times in the past, especially when I had the Phaeton with the DEF tank on the passenger side. I usually always fill now at a truck  stop with the pump, but it just escaped me that time around. 

One other notable issue. My Bus is said to have a 13 gallon DEF tank. When I decided to add DEF, the gauge showed the level to be below the 1/4 mark.  I added the 2 bottles of DEF, which was 5 gallons total. The gauge then showed full. So it looks like the DEF gauge is not that accurate either. I am just not sure if the electronic system will start to alarm based on gauge readings.  I forgot to ask when I was at CRB.

I've heard of the very same thing with used motor oil being returned.....That would probably not cause any damage, as you probably would see it as you are pouring it in, but the hassle of returning it....and what if it was your only vehicle with nothing else to drive? 

Wow, returning motor oil? I would think that would be tougher to pass off as new. All the stuff I usually take out of my vehicles is black.

Nothing sacred any more. Americas trip in a hand cart.

Buy your DEF from a truck stop.  Cheaper and you know what you are getting.  Most of the older RVs have the fill on the wrong side.  I used to just fill my own 2.5 gallon jugs and pour into to RV at a later time.

QZ said:
Nothing sacred any more. Americas trip in a hand cart.

People do crazy stuff to save a buck.
Did you hear about the lady who took her "dead" Christmas tree back to costco in January? They actually refunded her money. 

Good idea about filling your own.  I usually buy mine from the Ford dealer and they bring it from the back room.

While I typically buy the same at Walmart as you purchased, I have not had a problem with seals, but your post is sure a good tip and thank you.

Thanks again Sarge for this heads-up.  Today I stopped in a Walmart to get some DEF and in checking found 6 out of 6 containers had the "tamper proof" seal partially opened.  I would have bought the more expensive DEF brand instead, but they were out of it, gee I wonder why. Of course I passed and instead stopped at a truck stop that was on our way home.

Sounds to me that someone (or everyone) should send a note to the DEF manufacturer and explain the problem, requesting more tamper proof lids. 

SargeW said:
That's amazing. I wonder if it is tampering, or just crappy packaging.

I considered that as well, but was not going to take any chances... better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom