Large family: thinking of beginning with a TT or 5th, and then?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wesheets

Hi all!
Maybe you can help alleviate a friendly spat here at home, but we are torn about where to begin. We have each fallen in like with either a Class C or a Class A....they are all inclusive. However, right now we still have four kids at home (14, 10, 8, and 4) plus three disinterested grown ones. LOL. Anyway, we want to create memories and experiences for the kids, but know we won't likely stick with our first RV purchase choice or type. So, obviously it should sleep 5 or 6. We can downsize for sleeping needs later. Also, we are not younguns'. We are mid lifers with many life experiences to help guide us otherwise. This just seems to be a good fit for us :). We want to see national parks and other points of interest, camp (without a tent. Literally EVERY time we've tent camped something went wrong: barfing stands out as the last straw), and one great reason: tailgating at our alma mater :).

In regards to price, it is also a toss up. If we get a 5th wheel, we obviously need a vehicle to tow the rig. If we get a TT we have a Suburban, but don't know for sure if it can pull a rig the size we may need. Please be mindful we don't want a 40' rig. Personally, I am guessing we can do just fine with a 32' however, I am not clear on the lengths of each type nor what is average, small, or large/long.

If we have a Class C or A, we still need to pull a vehicle, and let's face it, I don't want to tow our Suburban. And, what vehicle can accommodate all of us? We have considered getting a rig then driving the Suburban behind. But, why do that? We can maybe pull our rig, right, and then drop it and still have a vehicle.

Does that cause tons of wear and tear on the vehicle? Should that be concerning? We have a 2016 4x2 with tow package.

Anyway....I know this is a loaded question, very personal, and many here will be against Class A/C, too. That's fine. Anecdotal evidence is what I'm looking for. It helps to hear stories and experiences in making an informed choice/decision. We haven't done this before so it's nice to see what others have experienced.

In regards to price, it is also a toss up. If we get a 5th wheel, we obviously need a vehicle to tow the rig. If we get a TT we have a Suburban, but don't know for sure if it can pull a rig the size we may need. Please be mindful we don't want a 40' rig. Personally, I am guessing we can do just fine with a 32' however, I am not clear on the lengths of each type nor what is average, small, or large/long.
I lived full time in a 32 foot class A with my three cats. A 32 footer will not even be big enough for six people. My 32 footer was too small for just me. You will need at least a 40 footer. Those kids are all small right now but they are only going to get bigger. Every person has stuff. The stuff for six people need to be stored somewhere so you will need lots of storage. You will need very large holding tanks to insure you can camp more than two days before having to dump. You will need a very heavy vehicle to tow and smaller RVs just can't handle towing that much weight.

I know none of this is what you want to hear but buying the wrong RV can be a very expensive proposition. There are no class Cs that long and I would not recommend a trailer or a 5er for you because you would have to triple tow to fit everyone in. I feel a class A is your only choice. I would urge you to go rent a 32 foot class C for a weekend and take the family on a camping trip to fully understand what I am talking about.

I'll be right back. Had to go look something up. Coachman Freelander 287BHDS sleeps 8. Has bunk beds. Price is around $25K.

https://assets-cdn-interactrv.netdna-ssl.com/interactrv/unit_tech_drawing/imgh_1024x768-m0821201716283289/unit_tech_drawing_201708210428328940176399.jpg

For weekend and vacation trips you don?t need as big a RV as you do living in one. We traveled all over the country for many years with pop ups and small trailers sleeping our 4 kids, one dog, and 2 parents. The pop ups are really nice because they have two big sleeping areas and one smaller one, very suitable for 6 people. Hybrid trailers (with beds that pull out) are another alternative. If you decide to go with a trailer or RV with bunk beds, make sure they fit the big kids since many have very short bunks. You could also look at a specialty trailer like Trailmanor that might be able to be pulled with a big SUV. Note not all Suburbans can tow a big trailer with 6 people inside! A bunkhouse model trailer or motorhome generally is pretty long and probably not suitable for a Suburban.

I recommend looking at an RV show, firmly deciding you won?t buy there. Climb in all the different models and make note of their weight. Also remember RV sales staff lie! They will always tell you your vehicle (no matter what it is) will pull anything on the lot. Ignore that and do the math yourself. If you will post details of the pillar label that shows capacities for your Suburban, we could give better advice.

My 28' bunkhouse travel trailer will sleep nine,but there is not a lot of room to move around with more than 2-3 people in at one time.
It might work for you if you were mainly interested in a place just for everyone to sleep, but spend most of your waking time outdoors and use campground bathroom facilities.
You could probably pull it with your Suburban.

UTTransplant said:
Also remember RV sales staff lie!  :D :D :D :D :D

Before you rule out a TT (and that would be your least expensive option, specifically what does your Suburban pull?  My Yukon XL, 4X4 will pull 8200#.  There is a GM site that you put the Vin# in, and viola, every spec you want about your vehicle.  I had a Class C, liked it, no toad, hated be forced to drive it at destinations.  Then the maintenance, a whole nother ongoing expense.  And then this, I hate to tell you, but as your kids age, into their marvelous teen years, they may become disinterested somewhat.  I speak from experience.

And bottom line, what's your budget? 

All good advice and questions.

We just went to an RV show this past weekend. Actually stayed out of TT and 5th wheels except two in order to " get a feel" but otherwise looked almost exclusively at the Class models. Thing is: I'm with you all in that having to drive it then not be able to go anywhere unless I have a toad will be a toss up.

I don't have my specs handy (in a hurry at the moment) but read that after family and stuff weight, tow package weight, etc my burb would pull about 6200#s so I'm sticking to that right now. I don't want to blow a tranny.

However, when it's all said and done, I want something that is enough to have positive memories not hateful ones LOL. Teenagers are a hot mess anyway so....LOL.

In regards to family: my kids are already big! Oldest one who won't be traveling with us is 6'4". The girls will be about 5'9"...we are tall folks. So, their ultimate comfort is not my concern. A place to chill and a place to sleep is fine. We intend on some NP's plus some beach and campground camping to "get away." The big travel excursions will happen when they are gone (or at least when we are down to two; one has HF Autism so they may be with us indefinitely). We do expect that there will her rainy days and so on, but do also hope that, for the most part, we can be active.

Budget depends. We can afford to get: Rig+truck to pull; Class A/C. I'm not sure we can get Class A/C and also a large family vehicle to tow; but then, what is the suburban anyway? We would like to stay below $100K for all; and it would obviously be better if our total rig costs are comfortable. We will have to store it, but around here, we can store a 32' Class A for $100 at a good place; a little more for indoor storage; and (Lord have mercy) $50 for outdoor (cruddy) place.

My thing is this: I don't want to have a Class model and then be stuck somewhere without transportation to things to do or the store. For example, we have visited Pigeon Forge and loved Dollywood and water park. If we camp there, I would like the option to get to the store or the park(s) as needed :). On the other hand, if we are camping, it won't matter because we'll hike or fish or chill and that's that.

I know it's a very personal decision but I appreciate the voice of experience.

Since we were tent campers before we were RVers, our kids were all comfortable in tents. In fact, we took wilderness canoe trips with them as soon as they turned 8 or so. By the time they were 12 or 13 they all, boys and girls, really preferred being in a tent to being in the travel trailer. They had more privacy, could stay up later, and could gossip as much as they pleased. We generally stayed in public parks - County, State, or national - with occasional rustic private parks that had tent pads. We could still fit them all inside if weather was an issue, but none of them believed rain would melt them. We also had high quality gear that could keep them warm and dry in really bad weather. I don?t know if your family is in the same situation, but it does allow for a bit smaller unit since they won?t be inside all the time.

Sounds like a plan.. Wife and I started with a Tent (JUST US_) THEN ADDED a daughter and upped to a PUP and then a TT and now a Class A. alas then wife got subtracted (Fatal trafic accident a few years back) so now it's just Alex the Cat and I in the Motor home.

But your plan is good start with a trailer big enough to hold you. then modify as family changes. 

We were camping in Upstate NY and the folks next to us had a Class C and this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71MCrgLZqQL._SX522_.jpg

You have to an easy up to attach the tent to. The neat thing is there is massive head room and floor space.

Your budget makes this very do able.  We bought a 3 year old F350 Lariat and 8 year old, well equipped 39 ft FW for about $71K.  See my sig.

To see what the 'Burb will really tow, forget the advertising hype.  Look at the yellow border placard on the driver door latch post which gives the "max weight of passengers and cargo shall not exceed  XXXX"  This is the most weight it is designed to carry, based on its' weight and options as it left the factory.  From this number, subtract the total weight of all passengers, 80# for a WD hitch and an estimate of any other cargo in the 'Burb.  What is left is the max tongue wt you can handle without overloading the truck.  Assuming 10% tongue wt, multiply this weight by 10 to get the max TT weight you can handle.  Use GVWR of the camper, not dry wt!

If you chose to go to a TT and different truck, these same rules apply.  For a FW, use 200# for a hitch and 20% pin wt.

Thanks Gordon! I think we are so uncertain as to which direction that we are beginning at the beginning: what is it we like about each type, what can do with/without, and then decide if the overall investment is best in scenario A, B, or C. Anyway, I like your approach to used coach and truck, plus I'm sure it made your choice easier.

-w

FWIW, according to Remco, a 2016 'Burb RWD is 4 down towable with the addition of a tranny pump.  That provides local transportation IF you go with a diesel Class A.

I personally doubt you will find a Class C in your price range that would pull the "Burb or meet your space needs.

I suggest you continue looking at everything you can find.  With time, certain options and floor plans will stand out as MUST HAVE and others as NO WAY.  Make these two lists, and do not waver!!  Note also some must have may be easily added.  Our must have did not include a washer / dryer, but DID include W/D hookups.  Likewise, fireplace OR a location to easily add one.  Small bathroom is not easily remedied!

I found our truck on AutoTrader.com - 3 year old, met all my must have options and ONLY 3660 miles, 200 miles from home.
I found the FW on RVTrader.com.  240 miles away in state, private seller.
I believe the Good Lord led me to both, but that is another story for another day!
In my search, I looked at many other sites including local and regional dealers as well as E Bay and  PPL.com

Good Luck and enjoy the hunt!

We are new to this whole camping thing, but I can tell you, from a family of 4 (plus 3 dogs) that a 45 foot 5'er isn't too much space. This forum is full of incredible info. One of the best pieces of advice given here was to not go with "just enough" truck,...but that you will never regret having too much power from your towing vehicle. Can't emphasize this enough. We don't regret getting the big 3500 diesel.

We grew up as a family of 6 kids, and traveled all over the country in a pop-up towed by a Country Squire station wagon. Wouldn't trade those memories for the largest Prevost out there. I'm not sure when when we evolved into needing all of the luxuries of home when taking the kids on a camping trip.

danajdelarosa said:
We are new to this whole camping thing, but I can tell you, from a family of 4 (plus 3 dogs) that a 45 foot 5'er isn't too much space. This forum is full of incredible info. One of the best pieces of advice given here was to not go with "just enough" truck,...but that you will never regret having too much power from your towing vehicle. Can't emphasize this enough. We don't regret getting the big 3500 diesel.

That's a huge trailer. About 20k gross?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom