Interesting video on freezing pipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
This video compares how various kinds of pipe handles freezing.  Copper, CPVC, and two kinds of Pex (Pex-A and Pex-B). Also compares Sharkbite fittings vs soldered (copper) and solvent weld (CPVC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOeBJ8mDr8Q

Excellent video. Thanks.  Helps explain why I've gotten lucky waiting until Veterans Day to winterize.

I guess maybe his CPVC wasn't as old as mine. 
I've got at least two 3' runs that basically just shattered.  That's what I can see, we'll see what the shop finds once they get in there.  :'(

Good video Gary. This explains why I didn?t have cracked pipes in my house when I had a corner freeze at 4 degrees, and why we didn?t have issues with our TT with one frozen line at 7 degrees. I was amazed I didn?t have leaks with either one.

(The temp at the house was the lowest since it had been built 7 years before. Idiot building crew had put the insulation between the pipe and the interior, leaving the pipe insulated only by the vinyl siding! Brought a guy in with an infrared camera to find the leak, and a plumbing crew to fix it. The trailer is 4 season, but has a design flaw where one pipe routes temporarily outside the heated space. Fairly stupid, and they fixed it the next year. We still do ok to 20 or a bit lower, but single digit lows and below freezing highs just suck.)

I don't think the video is trying to say that CPVC or Pex is impervious to freezing; just that those materials appear to be less susceptible than copper.

Well, it's pretty obvious, to me at least, that CPVC isn't totally impervious to freezing.  I wish. 
Got my new heater yesterday, so I'm ready whenever the shop gets the pipes fixed.  I will be in Quartzite this time next winter.

Back
Top Bottom