I'm super confused about domicile's (Specifically for Colorado)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Traveling west of the Mississippi in 2018
I need help please. I've read & read and I just need someone to help and offers suggestions/solutions on how I should proceed.

Our situation
We currently live in Colorado.
We are quitting our jobs. (We will get health insurance thru the marketplace)
We are selling everything including the house.
Household items (including 1 car) will go into storage.
We are purchasing a F350 and a Toy Hauler here in CO for our adventure.
No later than May 1st we leave! We will be traveling several states for 6+/- months (CA, OR, WA, AK, MT, WY, ID, UT are on the docket no necessarily in that order)

I think it would be easiest to continue our residency here in CO and set up our domicile here. That way we can just get a change of address on our license's and keep the other car registered here along with the new ones we purchase.

I found these sites which offer Colorado addresses
https://travelingmailbox.com - This seems to be the best.
https://www.anytimemailbox.com - This offers a few different zip codes which would bring down our health insurance a little, maybe $20.

(After I post this I'm going to start up a grid and evaluate both of these mail sites for pricing & health insurance.....)

Good Sam appears to only do Florida, which we are not traveling there.
Escapees appears to only do FL, SD, TX, which are are not traveling there either.

Would setting up my domicile in CO be just as easy as 'joining' one of these mail forwarding places and getting a new address (not PO Box)? And then registering all my vehicles under this address? Then get a new license?  Seems easy enough...maybe I'm just making our situation more complicated than it really is.

Thank you for your suggestions & help.
Amy @ The Wayward Pioneer

You should just keep your Colorado domicile. You need it for a voting address and a place to vote, your mail, your insurance and a lot more things. It is not easy to change your domicile because it means making a lot of changes that really aren't necessary if you are not going to be a full timer. Your domicile is already established in Co so there is no advantage to changing it.

SeilerBird said:
You should just keep your Colorado domicile. You need it for a voting address and a place to vote, your mail, your insurance and a lot more things. It is not easy to change your domicile because it means making a lot of changes that really aren't necessary if you are not going to be a full timer. Your domicile is already established in Co so there is no advantage to changing it.

Thank you very much for confirming what I was thinking  (but needed reassurance).

I'm assuming one of these 'mail box forwarding' companies do the trick for changing my CO address.... It just seems easier than I expected.

Thanks again!!!

The Wayward Pioneer said:
Thank you very much for confirming what I was thinking  (but needed reassurance).

I'm assuming one of these 'mail box forwarding' companies do the trick for changing my CO address.... It just seems easier than I expected.

Thanks again!!!
A domicile is nothing more than a physical address where people or companies can contact you. I used MailLink in Las Vegas for the ten years I full timed it. There are an incredible amount of people full timing it in the US so there is a lot of these services available.

I need help please. I've read & read and I just need someone to help and offers suggestions/solutions on how I should proceed.

Our situation
We currently live in Colorado.
We are quitting our jobs. (We will get health insurance thru the marketplace)
We are selling everything including the house.
Household items (including 1 car) will go into storage.
We are purchasing a F350 and a Toy Hauler here in CO for our adventure.
No later than May 1st we leave! We will be traveling several states for 6+/- months (CA, OR, WA, AK, MT, WY, ID, UT are on the docket no necessarily in that order)

I think it would be easiest to continue our residency here in CO and set up our domicile here. That way we can just get a change of address on our license's and keep the other car registered here along with the new ones we purchase.

I found these sites which offer Colorado addresses
https://travelingmailbox.com - This seems to be the best.
https://www.anytimemailbox.com - This offers a few different zip codes which would bring down our health insurance a little, maybe $20.

(After I post this I'm going to start up a grid and evaluate both of these mail sites for pricing & health insurance.....)

Good Sam appears to only do Florida, which we are not traveling there.
Escapees appears to only do FL, SD, TX, which are are not traveling there either.

Would setting up my domicile in CO be just as easy as 'joining' one of these mail forwarding places and getting a new address (not PO Box)? And then registering all my vehicles under this address? Then get a new license?  Seems easy enough...maybe I'm just making our situation more complicated than it really is.

Thank you for your suggestions & help.
Amy @ The Wayward Pioneer
You will need to verify that the two mail forwarding addresses will be accepted: by the state of Colorado for vehicle registration; by your insurance company; valid as an address you can register to vote. 

Generally the places in South Dakota and the Escapees mail forwarding meet the requirement in the state they are located in. 

Some financial organizations will not accept any of the above as a valid address.  They require an address with a building on it or an apartment. The work around is to use an address of a relative or friend.  This has to do with homeland security regulations after 911.  I forget the exact details. 

Additionally consider the sales tax and other fees associated with purchasing the truck and trailer.  Sales tax for Texas is 6.25% and fairly low registration fees, around $100-150 for the truck and $150-200 for the trailer per year.  I think SD sales tax is 3% and I don't know about the registration fees. 

Here is some general info about domicile and registration from Escapees:  https://www.escapees.com/support/mail-service/forms-and-booklets

A new complication for fulltimers' domiciles is the federal government's Real ID program.  If you want to continue using a drivers license as an ID to get onto an airplane or into a military base or federal facility, it will have to be a Real ID license.

Real ID Act compliant states may issue compliant or non-compliant drivers licenses, but starting January 22 drivers licenses issued by them will have to be a Real ID license to be accepted as a federal ID.

About half of the states are non-compliant, they have waivers to allow their licenses to be accepted as ID until October 1, 2020.

The problem for fulltimers is that in order to get a Real ID license, you have to present at least two documents showing you actually reside at the address you're using to apply for the license.  These include things like a lease, utility bill, bank statement, employment paycheck, etc. with that address.

I'm in the process of moving to Nevada, a compliant state, and it looks like my having a home base in the Pahrump SKP co-op will qualify for the Real ID residency requirement.

Colorado and South Dakota are also compliant states, which means after January 22 you'll have to have an actual physical residence to get a Real ID license, not just a mail forwarding address or an overnight stop in South Dakota.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

Lou Schneider said:
Colorado and South Dakota are also compliant states, which means after January 22 you'll have to have an actual physical residence to get a Real ID license, not just a mail forwarding address or an overnight stop in South Dakota.

Or you can get a United States passport, valid for ten years, and skip the whole Real ID nonsense and simply  obtain a normal, valid drivers license.  The passport gets you on an airplane and into federal facilities.  Remember, it's all about LEGAL identity,  not about where you live.  A passport is still the gold standard for proving who you are.

Linda

and skip the whole Real ID nonsense and simply  obtain a normal, valid drivers license.

Few, if any, Real-Id compliant states have an alternative "normal" license.  Once the state designates its driving license as its "Real Id", they usually stop issuing the other kind.  From what I read, 13 states still do not have Real-Id compliant Id cards, so you would have to get licensed in one of those states and then get a passport for the "Real" part.

UPDATE: I just learned that Nevada issues both Real Id compliant and "normal" driving licenses. At least until 2020.

It has been awhile since I checked all this Real ID-Driver's License stuff for South Dakota, so this topic spurred me to check up on things again.  South Dakota is very welcoming to fulltime RVers, who select and establish themselves as residents of South Dakota (your domicile state), but which DO NOT have a physical address.  I know this does not address the OP's specific inquiry for Colorado, but since SD was brought up . . .

Here's the info from America's Mailbox in SD with regard to having to provide utility bills, etc.

*4. We have also received an email from the SD DMV that the Federal Real ID law as implemented in South Dakota for full-time travelers will NOT require you to show utility bills, bank statements, or anything else of that type as of December 31, 2009 when the Real ID Act turned into law. However, you ARE required to spend one night at a hotel, motel, or campground anywhere within the state, and to bring the receipt with your name(s), PMB address, and that location address on it to a driver's license facility anywhere in the state. This receipt MUST show the address of the South Dakota location. However, your PMB address will actually go on your driver's license. If you have a CDL there is no longer any difference in these requirements.

NEW as of 10-20-2013: You must also bring your receipt from your PMB provider OR one current piece of mail addressed to you at your PMB to prove that you are legally allowed to use the address from your campground/hotel receipt.

In addition, you still need a current license or state ID to surrender to SD, verification of SS# (original card only, form 1099, W-2), and one other form of ID proving your citizenship - i.e. Passport, certified birth cert. from a gov't body

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/home/tips/drivers-license
for full description of SD requirements for fulltime travelers

BTW - I did call and confirm this information just now with the SD Division of Motor Vehicles, and it is correct.

https://dps.sd.gov/driver-licensing/renew-and-duplicate/full-time-travelers
The link describes renewal process, but again, no need for two pieces of mail with the address of any physical residence.  You do need to have something with the PMB address on it, and permission from the PMB owners to use that as your address.  Residency Affidavit is also required.

Last I heard, Escapees I think were trying to work with Texas to get similar requirements for full time travelers who have that state as their domicile state. 

L

I lived in CO before going full time last June. My understanding is that CO will not accept a mail forwarding address to obtain a drivers license. So I would recommend you confirm that you will be able to use one of your listed companies. As mentioned above the sales tax and registration/license fees are also higher in CO than the usual states that are used be full timers to establish domicile. Insurance rates are also generally  higher.

Thanks for the info everyone. It sure has got me thinking.

We are planning on moving to Montana later this year, Oct, Nov.....After our adventure/travels.

We are trying to figure out if we should just keep everything in CO we find our new home then and when we officially move to MT then change everything to MT or do it now before we leave CO.

We have passports and do understand that it's more expensive to 'live' here (taxes, insurance....) but wondering if it's going to be worth the hassle to switch to MT now. Who know's we may fall in love with a small town in ID and want to move there. (One of the purposes of this trip/adventure is to find a new small town to call home. Where we live in CO is no longer a 'small town" and we want out!)

SeilerBird said:
A domicile is nothing more than a physical address where people or companies can contact you. I used MailLink in Las Vegas for the ten years I full timed it. There are an incredible amount of people full timing it in the US so there is a lot of these services available.

Actually domicile is more than "a physical address where people or companies can contact you", it is that to be clear, but a domicile is in fact a legal address, where you can legally register vehicles, obtain the states drivers license, vote, obtain insurance etc.  One can set up address anywhere for people and companies to contact you, but not be domiciled in that state.

Thanks for the info everyone. It sure has got me thinking.

We are planning on moving to Montana later this year, Oct, Nov.....After our adventure/travels.

We are trying to figure out if we should just keep everything in CO we find our new home then and when we officially move to MT then change everything to MT or do it now before we leave CO.

We have passports and do understand that it's more expensive to 'live' here (taxes, insurance....) but wondering if it's going to be worth the hassle to switch to MT now. Who know's we may fall in love with a small town in ID and want to move there. (One of the purposes of this trip/adventure is to find a new small town to call home. Where we live in CO is no longer a 'small town" and we want out!)

If it were me in your situation, I would keep things as they are and when you make your decision on where to settle down, then make the choice of where to domicile. 

Gizmo said:
If it were me in your situation, I would keep things as they are and when you make your decision on where to settle down, then make the choice of where to domicile.

That's what I'm thinking. But on the other hand....I sure would love to save some money by domiciling in MT since we are 90% sure that's where we are going to land. But on the other hand what a pain if we fall in love with some property somewhere else.

Oh the decisions......

I appreciate all the advice!
Amy

Follow our adventure on Facebook at: The Wayward Pioneer

Domicile is largely a matter of balance tilting you towards one state instead of another.  The problem is convincing the state you're leaving that you have actually left their jurisdiction and aren't just taking an extended vacation.  As long as there are more factors tying you to Colorado than somewhere else (jobs, property, banking, drivers license, actual time spent in the state, etc.) it will be difficult to prove you've actually moved away from there.

Getting health insurance through the Colorado marketplace creates a pretty strong tie to the state, indicating you plan to return when your "vacation" is over.  You'll still be obligated to pay applicable Colorado taxes until such time as you actually cut the cords tying you to that state in favor of somewhere else.

Escapees RV Club has a lot of experience helping people establish domicile in a new state.  Their information is specific towards establishing a Texas domicile but it's also useful for other states.

https://www.escapees.com/support/mail-service?id=199

Also take a look at their PDF "How To Become A Real Texan"

A buddy of mine about 10 years ago sold his Colorado house and hired a mail box at Mailboxes, etc.  Mailboxes, etc. accepted mail addressed to my buddy at the street address of the Mailboxes, etc. location.  Then my buddy would call them periodically and have them forward any mail he had rec'd to General Delivery at the Post Office located in the next place he planned to stay for a week or so.  Colorado's driver's licenses have a place on the back of them where you can write in your own change of address.  He just wrote in the address of the mailboxes, etc. street address on it.  That approach might work for you.

Also, do you have any relatives or trusted friends still living in Colorado.  Why not just change your address to theirs until you get settled somewhere?

Cheers,

Dan K.

DanKearney said:
A buddy of mine about 10 years ago sold his Colorado house and hired a mail box at Mailboxes, etc.  Mailboxes, etc. accepted mail addressed to my buddy at the street address of the Mailboxes, etc. location.  Then my buddy would call them periodically and have them forward any mail he had rec'd to General Delivery at the Post Office located in the next place he planned to stay for a week or so.  Colorado's driver's licenses have a place on the back of them where you can write in your own change of address.  He just wrote in the address of the mailboxes, etc. street address on it.  That approach might work for you.

Also, do you have any relatives or trusted friends still living in Colorado.  Why not just change your address to theirs until you get settled somewhere?

Cheers,

Dan K.

Hi there
I never saw that space on the back of the drivers license where I can write in an address...Until just now.  That just seems odd......and weirdly illegal for some reason. LOL I'll have tho thinks about that as an option.

Mom lives in Eagle County but is in rent controlled seniors housing. We decided that we didn't want to take the chance using her address. And god forbid mucking something up for her.

I do have a 'mail forwarding' company in line to have everything forwarded to & they will also mail to us wherever we are & deposit checks for us an what-not.

Thanks Dan -
ps - we are in Evergreen getting our hats blown off I can't imagine how windy it is in Black Hawk!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom