Recommended tow package and braking system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasselmeier

We have a 2013 Profile View, 3500 MB chassis.  Looking for recommended tow packages and aux braking system for our RV to tow a Fiat 500 four down.  Looking for experience and recommendations of rv'ers who have this chassis/toad combo.
Thank you, Joe

Mostly a matter of personal preference, I think. Blue Ox, Roadmaster & Demco all make excellent tow bars.  The high end models like the Blue Ox Aventa and Roadmaster All-Terrains are pricey vs the basic A-frame ball mount bars, but in my opinion worth the price for the convenience and much enhanced usability.

For a brake system, the basic choice is between a fixed mount and a portable. A fixed mount system is permanently installed in coach and towed vehicle, so a bit easier to hook up the toad once the system is installed.  The portable systems must be placed in the toad each time it will be towed.  Not a big deal, though, no more than 2-3 minutes.

A popular permanent mount brake system for a non-air-brake coach is the SMI Stay-in-Play DUO. The most popular portable systems are the Brake Buddy and the RVI brake.

An alternative package is the Ready Brute from Night Shift Auto. It combines a good tow bar with a surge-type brake unit (fixed mount type). Surge brakes aren't quite as sophisticated as the others, but they work well enough and the package is relatively inexpensive vs the the others.

Thank you Gary...your thorough input is much appreciated.
Yes, the Fiat is manual with the intent for towing four down.
Regards, Joe

I purchased the Blue Ox system for my tow bar unit, very easy to hook up and stow when not used. I also purchased the SMI Stay-in-Play DUO and really like how simple it is to use. Always mounted to the car and totally out of the way under the hood. I would purchase it again should I ever get rid of the car.

We are using a Blue Ox system and the Stay-n-play Duo on a 2014 CR-V.  Very pleased with the ease of use as compared with using a Tow Dolly.  The Dolly worked, but this is just neat and slick.  The only caveat is that to facilitate unhooking, having the Toad level with the MH is recommended.

We have a 2017 Navion J and tow a 2010 Toyota Corolla using a BlueOx Aladdin towbar (aluminum) with a Roadmaster Invisibrake aux brake system.  The base plate on our Corolla was low and I think your Fiat will be lower.  We needed a 6' hi/low hitch adapter to get the tow bar more level.  Very pleased with the setup and as someone mentioned the BlueOx towbar is very easy to connect/disconnect.  If you need a hi-low adapter I recommend buying locally so you can be sure the BlueOx towbar fits.  I purchased a Roadmaster one but it simply would not fit.  Returned to eTrailer (great outfit) and bought a BlueOx adapter locally just so I could be sure to test the fit.  Per BlueOx the brand of adapter should have made no difference but I matched them the 2nd time around.  Oh, I was originally going with the SMI Duo others have mentioned but no room in my engine compartment for the installation.  The Invisibrake is installed under the driver seat so room was not an issue.  Have fun with whatever you go with.

Back
Top Bottom