EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Traveling from Death Valley National Park to Yosemite National Park  (Read 402 times)

fhoghvn

• ---
In April, we will be traveling from Death Valley National Park (Beatty, NV) to Sequoia National Park then to Yosemite National Park.  We would like to know the best route to travel.  I have a 44 foot fifth wheel toy hauler. Also any RV campgrounds recommendations that have large pull through sites with full hookups.

Thanks,

Fred

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Traveling from Death Valley National Park to Yosemite National Park
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
Welcome to The RV Forum!

The best way is the long way around.  From Beatty go south on CA 127 to I-15, west on I-15 and CA 58 to Bakersfield, then north on US 99.

The "shorter" route to the west of Death Valley crosses two mountain ranges between DV and Hwy 395 and has extremely long and steep grades and sharp switchbacks. CA 190 west of Stovepipe Wells has an 18 mile unrelenting climb from below sea level to Towne Pass at 5,600 ft.  Then you descend into the Panamint Valley and face a series of very sharp switchbacks going up the second mountain range to the west of it.

Bakersfield is about the midway point and there are a couple of large rig friendly parks there.  Orange Grove RV Park along CA 58 east of Bakersfield is in the middle of an orange grove and you can pick fruit from the trees in the park.   Bear Mountain RV Park is a mobile home park that was built during the mid 2000s real estate boom and never filled up, so they converted it into an RV park.  It's at the Bear Mountain Rd. exit about 10 miles SOUTH of the junction of Hwys 58 and 99 in Bakersfield.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:39:51 PM by Lou Schneider »

fhoghvn

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
Lou,

Thanks for the information.  I will review the route you described.   I definitely do not want to do long steep grades and sharp switchbacks unless necessary.

Fred

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:53:52 AM »
As Lou said it is a really tough climb out of Panamint Valley.  To keep the trailer tires on the pavement and maybe from scraping the sides of the trailer some rock walls on sharp turns, your tow vehicle will have to be well over the center line.  Some of these turns may be blind curves. 

Use Google Earth, Google Maps or Bing Maps with satellite view to look at the road.
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

fhoghvn

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »
Thanks for the additional comments. 

Also, since I have never traveled across Death Valley will there be adequate fuel stops or anything else I need to be concerned with.  My GMC truck takes diesel fuel.

Thanks,

Fred

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »
Fill your tank in Beatty.  There is diesel at Furnace Creek but it's in CA and a long way from anywhere. The price you'll pay in Death Valley is close to double what you'll pay in Nevada.

Going south, there's high priced fuel in Shoshone, CA and in Baker at I-15.  If you can make it to Barstow you'll save a significant amount.

If Beatty to Bakersfield is more than you want to cover in a single day, consider making an overnight stop in Pahrump.  It has several nice RV parks, you can restock at a couple of supermarkets and Walmart and Pahrump has some of the cheapest fuel prices around.  When you leave, take NV 372 west to CA 127 in Shoshone.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:45:04 PM by Lou Schneider »

fhoghvn

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 08:30:22 PM »
Lou,

Thanks.  I forgot to state that due to the length of my RV I normally get diesel a truck stops.  Are there any in the places you noted?

Thanks,

Fred

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 11:29:49 PM »
Another factor in April is the possibility that some of the Sierra mountain passes might still be closed.  Tioga Pass going into Yosemite from the east usually doesn't open until May or June, depending on the snow depth in any given winter.  I second avoiding going over Towne Pass.  It's a tough pull and uphill all the way.  It's better to go farther with an easier drive.

Beatty has a nice but no-frills RV park at the south end of town.  The Death Valley Inn & RV Park has 50-amp full hookup pull-through sites.  (It used to be called the Burro RV Park but changed ownership and was upgraded.)

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

fhoghvn

• ---
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
ArdaF,

Thanks for the additional information.  We do have reservations at the Death Valley Inn & RV Park in Beatty.  Then we go to Bakersfield, CA staying at the Bakersfield River Run RV Park for a week.  At this point I haven't made reservations near the Sequoia National Park or Yosemite National Park.

Fred

Hosted by Over The Network