VIN # HELP Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martymrtn

I found two different VIN # on my Tioga..One from the manufacture(Tioga) I'm guessing, and the other from Dodge, I'm guessing again. They're both only 13 characters and they're both on 2 seperate metal riveted id tags on the frame in the door. So my ? is , is 13 characters right for that model?(1974) If not, where might I find the correct vin# so I may check against any leins and such and do I need tyo know what the last state this vehicle was registered in? Thank you in advance..

I am not sure how much I can help here, but according to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number VIN number format and length was not standardized until the 1980's

13 digits is right for a 1974, but there should not be two of them. Dodge also stamped the VIN on the chassis itself - this article should help find and decode it: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/Pages_HTML/DodgeVINdecoder.html

The 17 digit VIN became standard in 1981.

Which VIN appears on the vehicle title?  That would be the one to use to check for liens, but any lien check will likely be on a state-by-state basis. Some states may share data, but the lien check is usually made based on the last title, so yes it is related to the state that issued it.

I think the only risk would be if there was a lien added to the vehicle since the physical paper showing the current title was issued.  If the vehicle was re-registered from another state any lienholder listed on that title would transfer to the new state's title.

If that's not sufficient, a Carfax report will tell which states the vehicle has been registered in, which would narrow down a state-by-state search.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom