2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost 3.5L 157" Wheelbase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaunsmo

I have a 2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost 3.5L with a 157" Wheelbase total towing cap is 9600.  My 2018 FR Salem 32BHDS weighs 7950 dry.  Am I ridiculous for expecting my truck to haul this?  I plan on putting on a transmission cooler and possible aftermarket rear shocks because it really squats my truck...

What are your thoughts 

My 2 cents: that will be too much payload for that truck...that TT will have a loaded weight of at least 10,000lb (the GVWR is 11,000) >> hitch weight of 1000-1200lb (or more).

I know someone with the same truck and a 28 foot 8000lb TT and he manages to drive it with standard equipment and a basic WDH (but he wouldn't go any bigger with his setup). Shocks, air bags, Timbrens, LT tires, and the best WDH may make it driveable.

At 36 feet long and a min of 9000lbs the tail will wag the dog please do yourself a favor and step up to a 2500 series as a min, a 3500 series is only a couple hundred bucks more
The payload on that 1/2 ton is only about 1300 lbs thats you kids misses dog and the hitch on the trailer which will be 1000 lbs min once loaded - if you hook it up you will see the ass end drag - look for cargo cap stickers drivers side door jam

Cheers

As Steve said, find the yellow border placard on the driver door latch post.  It will tell you the "maximum weight of passengers and cargo shall not exceed  XXXX pounds.

This limit is real!  As stated, it must include the weights of driver and all passengers and pets, any cargo in the truck PLUS 80 lb for a WD hitch PLUS hitch wt of the camper, which will be 1000 lb  or more.  You will almost certainly be overweight by several hundred pounds!  The tail (TT) WILL wag the dog (truck).  Forget about the literature claim of a much smaller hitch wt.  That is for an empty trailer - no propane, water, or any other cargo.  That is NOT how you will tow the camper.

Another way to look at this - that 9600 lb tow limit assumes only a driver and one passenger at 150 lb each. No cargo. No options above base model standard equipment.  Every pound of options, passengers or cargo above that 300 lb MUST be deducted, pound for pound.  Further, when you load the TT to go camping, the TT alone will be 9600lb or more!  In short, overloaded.

Get a F250 or for VERY little more, upgrade to a F350.  You will be MUCH happier!

"the limit is real"....or what ? 

This discussion always starts WW3 with the 'Yellow sticker police' on this forum.  (I think they're salesmen at truck dealerships  ;))

the truck is likely out of warranty now and you are not using it for commercial purposes so you no longer need the approval of a door sticker for anything. 

Beef up the rear as needed,  Hook it up and give it a try.. see if you like it before you run out and spend $40k for a new truck.

Ford's website uses a 150lb person at each seating position to determine CCC (for 2017 vehicles). The OP does not tell us what cab he has. I am assuming it is not a regular cab. If so and he has a basic model his CCC will be between 1600 and 1800 lbs. A base model 3.5 EcoBoost single cab 4x2 with tow package and the right rear end will have a tow rating of 12,200lbs and payload over 3000lbs. I would posit not too many folks here would purchase this truck. Not enough bling in it.

TonyDtorch said:
"the limit is real"....or what ? 

This discussion always starts WW3 with the 'Yellow sticker police' on this forum.  (I think they're salesmen at truck dealerships  ;))

the truck is likely out of warranty now and you are not using it for commercial purposes so you no longer need the approval of a door sticker for anything. 

Beef up the rear as needed,  Hook it up and give it a try.. see if you like it before you run out and spend $40k for a new truck.

Go for it send the damage bill to Tonydtorch hes offering to pay all bills along with the liable suits and bad advise

Oldgator73 said:
Ford's website uses a 150lb person at each seating position to determine CCC (for 2017 vehicles). The OP does not tell us what cab he has. I am assuming it is not a regular cab. If so and he has a basic model his CCC will be between 1600 and 1800 lbs. A base model 3.5 EcoBoost single cab 4x2 with tow package and the right rear end will have a tow rating of 12,200lbs and payload over 3000lbs. I would posit not too many folks here would purchase this truck. Not enough bling in it.

That highlighted information is 100% WRONG.  Somewhere about 2015 or so, not even the DRIVER is included in the payload capacity of the truck.....not even a 150 lb driver as in years past.  The payload capacity is based on the weight of the truck, as built, with a full tank of fuel.......NO Driver, NO passenger, NO cute little puppy dogs, NOTHING....except the weight of the truck as built and a full tank of fuel. 

Maximum Payload Weight Rating(1)

(1) Weight for driver and passengers must be deducted.

This ^^^^ makes perfect sense, your statement makes no sense whatsoever.  Let's imagine two different families using your scenario to calculate their payload capacity.  Let's also imagine the the "fat family" as family number one.  Dad weight 350 lbs, Mom is a little on the overweight size too...275.  Now lets take a peek at both kids.....son is following in Dads footsteps and weighs in at 225 lbs, the daughter, helps her self to food whenever she wants and she tips the scale at 250 lbs.  The son likes to take his friend Bubba along when they go, so lets add Bubba's weight in the too 235.....remember, these are all seated and belted passengers in the truck.  Total driver/passenger weight....1335 lbs.

Now lets look at family #2....Dad is coming in at 195 lbs, Mom is weighing in at 140, Son....165, Daughter...120, Son's friend Bubba Jr.....170......Total weight......790 lbs.

Difference between Family #1 and Family #2 =  545 lbs

Since there is such a disparity between weights and number of passengers carried, there is NO WAY a manufacturer....not Ford, not GMC, not Ram, not any of them are going to suggest that you use the belted number of passengers to be included in the payload capacity sticker.  EVERY PERSON and every bit of cargo has to be deducted from the weight capacity that is posted on the sticker.

NOTE:  The above example is not pointing fingers at anyone's weight....it is only used to show/illustrate the significant differences in how a truck is loaded by different people and different scenarios

Oldgator73 said:

Xrated beat me to it - years ago this was correct but at some point they dropped the 150lb driver because they realized that most people (men in this case who drive pickup trucks - yes its a stereotype - Fords words not mine- weight over 150lbs ) HOWEVER all fluids including a full tank of gas are exempt from the weight capacity as the truck leave the assembly line.

? The weight of the vehicle including standard equipment, oil, lubricants and a full tank of fuel (less fuel on F-650/F-750 models). It does not include the weight of driver, passengers, cargo or any optional or aftermarket equipment
FORDS WEBSITE 2011

If you read the fine print xrated is correct again

However if you read the fine print on the 2011f150 brochure you will find a range of payloads from 1000 to 3000 lbs for that year of truck with that wheel base and motor combo in a 4x2 again though that is for a BASE model -i doubt you have a base 4x2

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2011&postalCode=79705

This shows you exactly how pay is calculated and is the Ulimate in difinitve answers

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2011&postalCode=79705

This last link shows you EXACTLY how every option reduces payload right down to the lb per item

Xrated and steveblonde I just cut and pasted from Ford.com:

Cargo Weight Rating shown in chart is maximum allowable, assuming weight of a base vehicle with required camper option content and a 150-lb. passenger at each available seating position

Oldgator73 said:
Xrated and steveblonde I just cut and pasted from Ford.com:

Cargo Weight Rating shown in chart is maximum allowable, assuming weight of a base vehicle with required camper option content and a 150-lb. passenger at each available seating position
nn

May i see the link please? If im wrong i like to know - thanks steve

Edit gator what you are refering to i think is on the ford site they state the max load of a slide in camper base on if there were 150lb people at all seats ie 5 people 5 seats = 750 the max camper you may then load is. X if you have Hd payload package etc However this again is based on a bare bones base model before options on the truck and is not meant to be used as payload caculator because of the way the weight is distributed

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_18RVTTowGuide_r2_Nov27.pdf

steveblonde said:
nn

May i see the link please? If im wrong i like to know - thanks steve

Edit gator what you are refering to i think is on the ford site they state the max load of a slide in camper base on if there were 150lb people at all seats ie 5 people 5 seats = 750 the max camper you may then load is. X if you have Hd payload package etc However this again is based on a bare bones base model before options on the truck and is not meant to be used as payload caculator because of the way the weight is distributed

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_18RVTTowGuide_r2_Nov27.pdf

Yes I was referring to the slide in camper chart. If you look at my previous post I did reference a base truck with single cab when stating tow and payload capacity. I will say I think the OP is very close to his max rating. Somebody suggested he hook up his fully loaded trailer and drive it around and see how it handles and stops. I saw a YouTube video of a guy towing a 14,000lb trailer with with a 150 ecoboost. He said it handled just fine. I would not suggest the OP tow or not tow with his truck. Not my job. Many folks on this forum have said you can't have too much truck. I asked some if that is the case then why aren't you driving Peterbuilts or Freightliners. The answer was they can not afford them. If that is the case folks should be advising others to get the truck you can afford then look for trailers your truck can tow. Nothing worse than getting into this hobby only to realize you cannot afford it.

yep,  you can't be too safe ... better get a Freightliner.

do you guys actually weigh passengers before they get in ?  ::)  the airlines don't even do that . 

One possible source of confusion might be what is shown in Ford's advertising or various cargo guides vs the weight shown on the "yellow sticker" (federal Tire and Loading placard), which is calculated per federal (FMVSS) regulations.  The federal tire & loading sticker specifically requires that the weight capacity shown be "combined cargo & occupants".  That is not really subject to interpretation.

exactly Gary.  Wheel/tire rating is the most important thing. and they can be changed.

This was copied and pasted from the Ford website....

Maximum Payload Weight Rating(1)

(1) Weight for driver and passengers must be deducted.

Here is the document....and you need a PDF reader to see it when you click on the link.....
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2017/2017_F-250_F-350_F-450_SD_Pickups_-_Specs.pdf

Page 26 gives you the info you need.

TonyDtorch said:
yep,  you can't be too safe ... better get a Freightliner.

do you guys actually weigh passengers before they get in ?  ::)  the airlines don't even do that .

I might, if I needed to, but my actual payload, as built with a full tank of fuel is 5170 lbs.....so, I probably won't have to worry about it.

shaunsmo can legally do whatever he likes, but he asked for advice so various opinions are to be expected.

It's my personal opinion that his truck will be unsatisfactory for that size trailer.  The Salem 32BHDS will be upwards of 9000 lbs when loaded for travel, plus he will have a hitch and some passengers and gear in the truck.  At best, it will be marginal on both trailer tow capacity and cargo capacity.

The 9600 lb tow rating is without an option upgrades, per this advice from Ford in its towing table for 2011:
Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight assumes a towing vehicle with any mandatory options, no cargo, tongue load of 10-15% (conventional trailer) or king pin weight of 15-25% (5th-wheel trailer) and driver only (150 pounds). Weight of additional options, passengers, cargo and hitch must be deducted from this weight.

shaunsmo also noted that "it really squats my truck", which is hardly surprising.  A 9000 lb trailer puts at least 900 lbs on the hitch and maybe as much as 1100. Adding in hitch and passengers in the truck will surely put it close to or over the truck cargo capacity.  It is my belief that operating an F150 class truck at its max limits is at best an uncomfortable ride and at worst a harrowing "white knuckle" experience. If done on a regular basis, it will also result in accelerated wear & tear.

Upgrading shocks will do little for either ride or handling, but helper springs (air or metal) might reduce the squat and stiffen up the response when the trailer tries to push the truck around, e.g. when a semi passes.

I'll also opine that 36 ft of trailer is a lot of "tail" on a light truck with the F150's car-like susension. It is engineered for ride comfort more than heavy hauling.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
One possible source of confusion might be what is shown in Ford's advertising or various cargo guides vs the weight shown on the "yellow sticker" (federal Tire and Loading placard), which is calculated per federal (FMVSS) regulations.  The federal tire & loading sticker specifically requires that the weight capacity shown be "combined cargo & occupants".  That is not really subject to interpretation.

If you are buying a truck from an individual you only have to look at one "yellow sticker" To know if the truck will do. If you go to a dealership you would have to look at all the "yellow stickers" until you found the truck suited for your needs. If you order a truck you will not know the actual tow rating until the vehicle arrives and you can study the "yellow sticker".

For years my Grandparents safely pulled their fully loaded 30' travel trailer all over the U.S. Mexico and Canada with a 440 c/i V8 4 door Dodge Polaris ....No yellow sticker and it wasn't even a truck.

Attachments

• the wagon.jpg
    the wagon.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom