2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost 3.5L 157" Wheelbase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TonyDtorch said:
For years my Grandparents pulled their fully loaded 30' travel trailer all over the U.S. and Canada with his 440 c/i V8 4 door Dodge Polaris ....No yellow sticker and it wasn't even a truck.

Nothing against your Grandparents, but there are a LOT of people that tow overloaded, they just happen to be one of many!  If you don't know any  better, it's pretty easy to think that it's OK.  If you DO know better and do it anyway, shame on you!  I'm sure that most everyone on here can cite or know someone that tows overloaded, but as a responsible forum member here, I for one will try my best to inform and educate someone that asks a question about their particular truck/trailer combo, as best I can.

Grampa was a 30 year tandem trailer produce truck driver that delivered oranges up the California coast. I think he knew what he was doing.

but...Those were the days before labels like this were needed ..... :)

Attachments

• rv label.png
    rv label.png
    13 KB · Views: 7
Oldgator73 said:
If you are buying a truck from an individual you only have to look at one "yellow sticker" To know if the truck will do. If you go to a dealership you would have to look at all the "yellow stickers" until you found the truck suited for your needs. If you order a truck you will not know the actual tow rating until the vehicle arrives and you can study the "yellow sticker".

That's not true either.  If ordering a truck, the dealership can use the available information that they have to calculate the amount of ARC weight that will be added to the truck when it is built......that is, if you have a dealer that knows how to use and calculate the base weight AND the ARC weight correctly.  When the truck comes in, the yellow/white payload sticker should be within a few pounds of the calculated weight number that the dealer figured for you.  And lets face it, if it's 10-15 lbs less payload than what you wanted when your ordered the truck, you ordered too small of a truck.

TonyDtorch said:
Grampa was a 30 year tandem trailer produce truck driver that delivered oranges up the California coast. I think he knew what he was doing.

but...Those were the days before labels like this were needed ..... :)

Again, no disrespect to your Grampa, but I seriously think he didn't know what he was doing to pull that much trailer behind a car.  It's not relevant now, as I would guess that those days are long gone.  But the O.P. is still seeking valuable, correct, and pertinent information about his towing needs....and that's where I've been going with my posts.

Hey everyone...  I really do appreciate the discussion.  I am going to go ahead and take the advice and keep my F-150 (Cant give up my baby) however I will be purchasing a used F250/350 to pull the camper. 

The things we do to get away...

xrated said:
That's not true either.  If ordering a truck, the dealership can use the available information that they have to calculate the amount of ARC weight that will be added to the truck when it is built......that is, if you have a dealer that knows how to use and calculate the base weight AND the ARC weight correctly.  When the truck comes in, the yellow/white payload sticker should be within a few pounds of the calculated weight number that the dealer figured for you.  And lets face it, if it's 10-15 lbs less payload than what you wanted when your ordered the truck, you ordered too small of a truck.

If this is correct why can't you go to a dealership and ask if they have a truck, outfitted with your options with X payload that can tow X. If you can sit down at the dealer and order such a truck shouldn't they have a database with the parameters I mentioned above? Or do they? If look on a Ford or Chevy or Dodge dealers web site, I have to rely on the companies (Ford.com, etc) to get some idea of what a particular truck will tow and that trucks payload. So you do have to visit the dealership and check all the yellowvstickers on all the trucks you are interested in to find the one that fits your needs.

Oldgator73 said:
If you are buying a truck from an individual you only have to look at one "yellow sticker" To know if the truck will do. If you go to a dealership you would have to look at all the "yellow stickers" until you found the truck suited for your needs. If you order a truck you will not know the actual tow rating until the vehicle arrives and you can study the "yellow sticker".

Please dont laugh too much at me - but when i bought this latest truck a 2017 f350 dually thats exactly what i did. I looked at every dually they had at the door decal and at the window sticker to find the right combo for me. Reason being the door decal varied by more than 750 lbs depending on options. And the dealership took possesion of a identical F450 to my F350 same options same colour same  everything,
Here is the other butt
The 450 because of its lower gear 4.10 to my 3.55 and the fact its payload is 500lbs less than my 350 was enough for me to buy the 350 even though i could have had the 450 cheaper
I stuck with the 350

Oldgator73 said:
If this is correct why can't you go to a dealership and ask if they have a truck, outfitted with your options with X payload that can tow X. If you can sit down at the dealer and order such a truck shouldn't they have a database with the parameters I mentioned above? Or do they? If look on a Ford or Chevy or Dodge dealers web site, I have to rely on the companies (Ford.com, etc) to get some idea of what a particular truck will tow and that trucks payload. So you do have to visit the dealership and check all the yellowvstickers on all the trucks you are interested in to find the one that fits your needs.

It's correct, but here's the rub.  A lot of dealers are just to lazy to go through that amount of work for a sale.  The average truck salesman is just that....a salesman.  He knows colors, options on packages, rebates that may be in effect, and all the "normal" stuff.  The dealerships that cater to folks that need a truck to work with....towing trailers for construction, business, RVs, etc. will have "fleet salesmen".  These are the guys that know how to use the available information to get you exactly what you need for your towing capabilities.  The fleet salesman or fleet manager make their living by knowing just what to order and how to spec it out for the exact need of the customer.  And the good ones make a very good living doing just that.  They know that when they place an order for a truck that has to be exactly what Mr. Customer, business owner, construction superintendent, or even the RV owner that has specific needs, they HAVE to be correct and that is the difference between a car/truck salesman and a fleet guy....either salesman or manager.  So, it can be done, you just have to go to the right person to get it correct.  The car/truck sales guy is going to talk "purdy stuff" to you....the fleet guy is going to talk payload, towing capacities, GVCWRs, and all the stuff that a specific truck can do for you.  Many of us aren't even aware that within the dealership, there are guy (or gals) that are dedicated to that kind of buyer.....we just talk to the first salesman that approaches us on the lot and work with them....and we assume that they know what they are doing, because they are "truck salesmen"!

I sold new Ford cars and truck for a living for a while and I was a car/truck salesman.  I was instructed  that if I had a potential buyer come in, and it was my turn on the floor to work with that customer, and he needed a truck like what I've been referring to, I was to take him to our fleet manager and introduce them so that the fleet manager could get him fixed up with exactly what he wanted.  I certainly didn't know all of the ins and outs of the heavy truck side of sales, so why risk screwing something up and making an uphappy customer out of it....take him to the fleet manager.....the guy that knows what he's doing with that type of truck request.  Of course if that happened, and I had to turn over a customer to the fleet guy, it didn't cause me to "lose my turn" on the sales floor, I went back to the front of the line and tried to work with the next customer that came in.  It was a win/win for me and the dealership.

xrated said:
Again, no disrespect to your Grampa, but I seriously think he didn't know what he was doing to pull that much trailer behind a car.  It's not relevant now, as I would guess that those days are long gone.  But the O.P. is still seeking valuable, correct, and pertinent information about his towing needs....and that's where I've been going with my posts.

I've been a licensed CDL-A driver for about 40 years and I don't think you completely understand trailer towing.

with a proper brake controller, you can safely tow a 30' trailer with good riding lawn mower 

TonyDtorch said:
I don't think you completely understand trailer towing ... and what a proper load distribution and load level hitch can do.

with a proper brake controller, you can safely tow a 30' trailer with good riding lawn mower

Just so you know, I'm not going to engage in that kind of foolish nonsense that you just posted.

xrated said:
Just so you know, I'm not going to engage in that kind of foolish nonsense that you just posted.

I understand, I guess there are people that are even afraid to cut the labels off of their pillows ... ::)

Moderators, please don't lock this topic. There is some good information and I would posit there are more folks out there with experiences to share about purchasing their tow vehicle and how it has performed since the purchase.

If this is correct why can't you go to a dealership and ask if they have a truck, outfitted with your options with X payload that can tow X. If you can sit down at the dealer and order such a truck shouldn't they have a database with the parameters I mentioned above? Or do they?

As xrated says, the dealer has the tools to do that, both on the computer and in the form of a paper calculation worksheet (see this 2016 version for an example: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2016/16_TruckPayload_SB_v5.pdf). The problem is sales people trained to use them and willing to make the effort. Most are focused on buyers that are looking for cool equipment or big engines or other trait and don't know or care about serious truck specs.

Some years ago when truck shopping I encountered only two Ford dealers who had sales staff that knew what I was talking about and willing to work on it. The others just wanted to show me a vehicle on the lot and clearly had no idea what towing and carrying they could do.  One dealer handled a lot of commercial trucks and had a separate sales department staffed with a couple folks who really knew trucks. At another, the sales lady listened to my tech talk and went to get another older sales guy who knew more about truck specs. He showed her how to look up the info and match it to their inventory (they didn't have anything suitable). At a Dodge dealer the sales guy took my spec list to his manager and the boss told him I obviously knew what I wanted, so to fill out a factory order sheet using my info and run it through the computer. The salesman asked a few additional questions to complete the order sheet and then entered it, and soon learned there was no truck like that in inventory anywhere local or at the factory lot.  The sales manager offered to order it for me at $100 over invoice, so that's what I did.

Technically nobody here is right or wrong , we all remember the Toyota commercial pulling the space shuttle, right?
So yes almost anything is possible . BUT there is a line between LEGAL, STUPID, IGNORANT  and missinformed

In my opinion saying yes you can do something when you know your giving bad advise just to play some sort of devils advocate to patheticaly childish and pottentially liable

So please for the sake of eveybodys safety use a little common sense when posting, i personally enjoy the banter and rediculous comments but some people may take it the wrong way and try something way way way out of their leagues.

Way back in 1998 my wife indicated she wanted to try living in an RV. We purchased a Chevy crew cab diesel. All the bells and whistles. We went to an RV dealership and chose the 5th wheel we wanted. The dealership said we would have to sign a waiver for them to sell us that RV and pull with that truck. Long story short I did a lot of research. Don't remember how because we didn't have a computer. I needed up with a Dodge 3/4 ton single cab 6 speed manual with the Cummins diesel. Payload was rated at 3900lbs and tow rating around 12,000-13,000 lbs. had a Jake brake installed. Truck handled everything we needed to do. I don't remember a yellow sticker. I paid $27,000 for the truck. Probably a lot of money in 1998.

This was unsafe ?  it had no yellow sticker, it was not a 3/4 ton truck ?  it rode like any car, (even loaded full of kids and dogs )

No one was killed,  and it worked fine for years. 

Attachments

• the wagon.jpg
    the wagon.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 11
TonyDtorch said:
This was unsafe ?  it had no yellow sticker, it was not a 3/4 ton truck ?  it rode like any car, (even loaded full of kids and dogs )

No one was killed,  and it worked fine for years.

Cool picture for sure and im glad everyone lived  we also did the same thing - but we learned from their mistakes too same as the neanderthols
But just because you did  it doesn't make it right or safe

Times change and you have to change with the times
Talking to some people is like banging your head against a brick wall - it feels really good when you stop

" the only difference between the criminals in the jails and criminals outside is that one of you got caught"

I would like to here your explanation of what was illegal about that ?

where and when did you grow up ?  You never watched the Lucy and Desi camping trip?  ;D ;D ;D

this is the way thousands of Americans traveled around this country in the 'olden days'. (aka. neanderthal days)

Attachments

• lucy.jpg
    lucy.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 12
  • line of rvs.jpg
    line of rvs.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 12
  • ford.jpg
    ford.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 11
I was born in the sixties, by the time i was 10 i had traveled to every country in europe 2-3 times with my folks pulling a 1969 sprite muskateer european version travel trailer
Moved to western canada in 1973 may dad was the plant manager for scamper and skipper trailers.
On my 14 th birthday i got my learners permit and 3 months later i pulled our travel trailer with a 1975 ford ltd country squire stationwagon to sandiego andback 5000 mile road trip

I have been in the auto industry in various capacities for almost 40 years selling building designing everything from hot rods to lambos oil trucks to pickers and built the largest aftermarket truck accessories company in western canada
Cheers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom