EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Building a Stealth Camper  (Read 509 times)

JosephGrey

• ---
    • Living On The Stealth
Building a Stealth Camper
« on: January 11, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »

I don't know if any of you would be interested in my story or not.  Back a couple of years ago I suffered a job change.  New boss wanted me in the office five days a week after eighteen years of being a tele-worker.  I live ninety miles from my new cubical.  I cast around some.  Moving the whole family closer to this job which now seemed unstable, seemed like a bad idea.  I finally heard about Stealth Camping.  That's what I have been doing for the past year, four nights a week. 

I bought a 2008 Chevy Express Extended Cargo van and have turned it into a camper on the inside.   Outside I am an everyday work van, inside I have solid walnut floors. :-)  It's been a great experience and I have learned a lot both about building for small structures and about urban camping.  Where to park, how to fit in, etc. 

I put the link to my blog below in my signature, if you visit it scroll back to January 2017 if you want to start at the beginning of the story.

--jg
Blogging my Stealth Camper build.  Check out the whole project at http://livingonthestealth.blogspot.com

OutdoorFT

• ---
Re: Building a Stealth Camper
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »
Looks good. Solar panel might give the stealth away :D
Future Fulltimer

2011 F350 Lariat CCLB SRW
No RV yet!!

JosephGrey

• ---
    • Living On The Stealth
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:43:42 PM »
It sure does   ...if you are above it.  But from street level, not so much. 

The thing about cargo vans is they are invisible.  I watch for them all the time now but before I never saw them.   One time on a street corner I could see five white vans from where I stood, but everyone else likely didn't see them at all.

--jg
Blogging my Stealth Camper build.  Check out the whole project at http://livingonthestealth.blogspot.com

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
Parked on the side of the road the red interior lights might give some folks the wrong idea.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

JosephGrey

• ---
    • Living On The Stealth
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 04:53:06 PM »
I am light proof from the outside.  Blackout shades attached over the windows with magnets.  Bulkhead divider between the house and the cab.  When it is dark outside, I look dark. :-)   I have Raspberry Pi single board computers running cameras, five of them, about an inch square each.  These cameras display on a screen inside just in case I am hearing some noise outside and want to have a peak.  The cameras all do infrared so once the weather warms up I am planning on mounting a few infrared LED strips around my roof rack I will be able to invisibly light it up so my cameras can see better and still not alert anyone to my presence. 

--jg

Hosted by Over The Network