Building a Stealth Camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JosephGrey

I don't know if any of you would be interested in my story or not.  Back a couple of years ago I suffered a job change.  New boss wanted me in the office five days a week after eighteen years of being a tele-worker.  I live ninety miles from my new cubical.  I cast around some.  Moving the whole family closer to this job which now seemed unstable, seemed like a bad idea.  I finally heard about Stealth Camping.  That's what I have been doing for the past year, four nights a week. 

I bought a 2008 Chevy Express Extended Cargo van and have turned it into a camper on the inside.  Outside I am an everyday work van, inside I have solid walnut floors. :)  It's been a great experience and I have learned a lot both about building for small structures and about urban camping.  Where to park, how to fit in, etc. 

I put the link to my blog below in my signature, if you visit it scroll back to January 2017 if you want to start at the beginning of the story.

--jg

Attachments

• IMG_8802.jpg
    IMG_8802.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9326.jpg
    IMG_9326.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9788.jpg
    IMG_9788.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 62
It sure does  ...if you are above it.  But from street level, not so much. 

The thing about cargo vans is they are invisible.  I watch for them all the time now but before I never saw them.  One time on a street corner I could see five white vans from where I stood, but everyone else likely didn't see them at all.

--jg

Attachments

• IMG_9993.jpg
    IMG_9993.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 20
I am light proof from the outside.  Blackout shades attached over the windows with magnets.  Bulkhead divider between the house and the cab.  When it is dark outside, I look dark. :)  I have Raspberry Pi single board computers running cameras, five of them, about an inch square each.  These cameras display on a screen inside just in case I am hearing some noise outside and want to have a peak.  The cameras all do infrared so once the weather warms up I am planning on mounting a few infrared LED strips around my roof rack I will be able to invisibly light it up so my cameras can see better and still not alert anyone to my presence. 

--jg

Back
Top Bottom