new PC shuts itself off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

I bought a new Acer desktop PC for my wife from Costco.  It stays on during the day, although sleeps when inactive for a while. We usually check our PC before going to bed about 10 pm.  But the new PC actually shuts itself off every evening sometime between 5 PM and 9:30 PM when inactive.  I haven't been able to figure out why. I checked on the Control Panel and didn't see anything that called for a shutdown.  Any ideas?

Windows 10 operating system.

Are you sure it's not just going into hibernation?  If it is then you have to hit the power button to restart it, but it will come up where you left off similar to "sleep".

Lower left hand corner, click the Windows Icon, then click Settings, then click System, and all the controls are there

Molaker said:
Are you sure it's not just going into hibernation?  If it is then you have to hit the power button to restart it, but it will come up where you left off similar to "sleep".

You might be correct.  I had already been through all the power plan settings. It seem that it takes a bit longer than i would expect to open up from being in hibernation but that could be it.

When you boot up the PC...look in the very beginning of the boot sequence, there will be a option for enter BIOS.  Press that key (you may have to start the PC a couple of times to catch it).  Once in the bios, look for power and sleep settings.  If you want your pC to ?stay awake? make sure you select an option that reflects that.  You do not want level 3 or 4 hibernate if you want it to stay on. 

Caution, if you are unsure what a setting does, don?t mess with it, you can really mess up some stuff in there. 

I haven't figured out why it does it.  I've learned to live with it.  If I have something important to do such as filing taxes, I switch to my lap top. 

Lowell said:
I haven't figured out why it does it.  I've learned to live with it.  If I have something important to do such as filing taxes, I switch to my lap top.

In addition to the power settings that are accessible from the Settings menu, there are also power settings that have to be accessed through the old Control Panel.  You can get to those by following the link Additional Power Settings on the Power and Sleep tab of the Settings page.  On that page are the settings for putting the computer into sleep and/or hibernation.  They are similar to, but different from the ones on the Power and Sleep page.

I've been all through the power, sleep and shutdown settings on this PC.  The setting are no different than than on my 2 other PCs, yet this one still shuts downs and reboots itself occasionally.  As I said, I learned to live with it and have given up on trying to figure it out.

After you change your settings restart your computer, also lots of hits regarding your issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+computer+shuts+down+by+itself&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS784US784&oq=windows+10+shuts+down+by+itself&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.16702j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Lowell said:
I've been all through the power, sleep and shutdown settings on this PC.  The setting are no different than than on my 2 other PCs, yet this one still shuts downs and reboots itself occasionally.  As I said, I learned to live with it and have given up on trying to figure it out.
Do you recall seeing this screen (shown below)?  If not, you did not get deep enough.  Look at the 2nd image, it shows the link to Change advanced power settings (below the brightness adjust).  That link takes you to the popup where you can adjust hibernation.  I keep mine set to Never when plugged in.

Attachments

• Power options.jpg
    Power options.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Power Options 1.jpg
    Power Options 1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 6
The pc in question is a desktop an doesn'y have a battery option.  The hibernate box is unchecked.

Lowell said:
The pc in question is a desktop an doesn'y have a battery option.  The hibernate box is unchecked.
Hmmm.  All my Windows 10 PCs don't have a check box for hibernation.  They have an option to choose how many minutes before the PC goes into hibernation and you can choose Never.  So, if yours is different then I give up.

Well thanks for all the comments.  It only a PITA when it occurs and not critical for my needs.  If I feel i need to do something important, I boot up my lap top.  I do like a desk top for email, forum searching, facebook, etc.  And if it reboots itself, I only have to wait a couple of minutes to be back.  Gosh, back in 1971 when I got my first Apple II, I would have been overjoyed with the time it now takes to reboot and access data.  Man, I can remember being excited to download a age in just  couple of minutes.

If all else fails you might want to consider running any diagnostic option you have.  Perhaps there is a failing component that might be sending the thing into never-never land..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom