rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: An Oil Change at Walmart -- or not  (Read 4065 times)

Bill N

• ---
An Oil Change at Walmart -- or not
« on: January 11, 2018, 04:42:24 PM »
I found out that my local Walmart is the only one of the 8 located in this area that has a wide and high door combined with a pit that accomodate a motorhome for oil changes.  So I decided to use it yesterday as all I have is a simple 8.1 Chevy gas engine in the Winnie.  How can you go wrong?  I drove up to their bay door (as I had been told to do when asking on a previous trip) and I could see the guy who signs up the oil change jobs had very big eyes.  He asked what I wanted and I told him an oil change so he immediately asked the guy inside - "Do we do these?"  "Yep."  Then he looks up at his door and I tell him it is high enough.  Next he asks for the VIN - and copies it right off the decal on the door - Nope - does not compute with Walmarts system. Skips that and goes to what brand is this vehicle - Winnebago - Nope does not compute in Walmarts system.  Then he noticies the Workhorse decal on the side of the coach and I tell him to look that up - Yep he has Workhorse - what size engine?  8.1 liter Chevy - Nope, not in Walmart's system.  Skip that.  What size filter - I tell him a PF454 from the manual - blank stare - does not compute but the guy inside says he will look it up.  In the meantime the very young lady who is in charge of the shop decides she must drive the coach inside.  I had volunteered but when she insisted I figured Walmart had better insurance than I did.
So she pulls it in gently as the whole shop stops to watch and see what she crashes it into.  Makes it all the way in and then a guy opens the exit door and she drives it right out.  WOW I think, that is one fast oil change!  Then the oil changer walks over and tells me they they found the right filter number but they are out of them at the moment.  I can go find a filter and come back and they will install it with the oil change.  Uh, no thanks.  I was just getting it changed because I had it out on it's monthly run and had to have a state safety inspection in order to renew the plates (done at a different shop).  Soooooooo I ALMOST had a Walmart oil change.  And believe it or not I am going to go back one day and give it another try (but this time I will be sure they have a filter).

Bill
s
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11.5 & Squeak-6.5, Winnie the ShihTzu - 20 mos

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: An Oil Change at Walmart -- or not
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 04:53:07 PM »
Wow.  I had Walmart change my oil several times in my 1994 Damon motorhome (Ford F53 gas chassis, 35') and now in my 1993 Hall Chaparral motorhome (Chevy P30) and never had those kinds of issues.  It's always been drive up, take down the info (after the first time they were in the employee was able to retrieve it from their database), I drove in over the pit and they did the work.

However, I was out of luck when I tried to get them to change the oil in my 1986 Bronco II.  Their history only goes back to somewhere in the 1990s and they won't work on vehicles older than that.  The filters, etc. were available inside the store but the oil change shop wouldn't install them or change the oil unless they could look up the specifications themselves.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:57:08 PM by Lou Schneider »

newfurrows

• ---
  • Dan Nelson
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »
Time has caught up with some of us.  When asked "what engine?" I replied chevy 350.  Blank looks from all.  I had to say chevy 5.7 liter. The young guys got that.  Maybe come up with a newer ford engine so they can get you a motorcraft F1 or fram PH8 or equivalent.
Happy Motoring
Dan Nelson with Tibby the tan colored dog and Jazz the red border collie (backup drivers)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1979 Vanguard "SECURITY"
[email protected]
780-966-4410

indiana journey

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:29:41 PM »
I'd still trust them before Camping World.
Safe Journeys,
Indiana Journey

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:24:03 AM »
I'd still trust them before Camping World.
Safe Journeys,
Indiana Journey

That's not saying much.  I wouldn't trust Camping World to install a roll of toilet paper.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter,  mediocre guitar player.
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

NewmanRacing

• ---
    • Norms Carpet Cleaning
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 10:28:39 AM »
That's not saying much.  I wouldn't trust Camping World to install a roll of toilet paper.

If you want assurance that a job is done right, do it yourself!
1993 Fleetwood G30 21' Jamboree
1976 Dodge Class C - Deceased
1969 Starcraft Starcruiser- Deceased

Do not wait til you're half dead to live a full life.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 10:50:17 AM »
I've seen that sort of problem at Walmarts before. On any given day and store you may get a skilled guy or a novice, both in the shop and at the service counter.   They tend to have a high employee turnover and lesser skills, probably because the skilled people often move on to a better paying shop or at least one with M-F 8-5 hours. Sometimes you get a retired pro just making some extra retirement bucks, and sometimes you get the kid with minimal training and experience and learning on the job. They also stock tires, batteries and filters only for common vehicles, based on Walmart HQ's computer analysis of sales in the auto parts department.

Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

jayc2640

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 11:12:03 AM »
I asked about an oil change for my class A at a Walmart once.  When the "manager" told me that they changed the oil in a "Meanie Weanie" a few months back, I went to the Ford dealer instead.
- John Coffey
2018 Winnebago Forza 38F
2016 Chevrolet Equinox

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 11:38:39 AM »
I just made the post as a sort of humorous moment.  I do intend to go back when the weather warms up but the brains of the operation was the guy in the pit actually doing the change.  The young female shop manager was very tentative about the deal but she learned fast as did the guy who signed it in.  Next trip should be smoother - but I will check on the filter first.

Do it yourself  = Well yes, if you can but with a bit of age, COPD, arthritis in the back and on oxygen, all things are not as easy as they used to be.

Camping World did a super good job of installing a hitch on our Sonic toad - took off the front of the car, installed it and replaced the front and install all wiring and it looked like a factory job.  All CWs are not bad.

Bill
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11.5 & Squeak-6.5, Winnie the ShihTzu - 20 mos

winona

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
Not an oil change but..... 

I needed an alignment on my Trend after hitting what the state posted as "bump" on the highway.  The sign should have said "ditch"!   I asked at my local RV dealer who couldn't so they sent me to a semi truck trailer repair shop.  I made the appointment, and as I pulled up to the the bay doors, the guys started laughing.  I guess they thought I had an RV, aka a Brad Paisley 50 foot tour bus type of RV not an itty bitty one.  Said they don't work on things that "little."  They did find a garage who could both get it into the bay and do an alignment.  I can still see those guys laughing.
Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 06:38:55 PM »
I took my 2007 Diesel truck into the Wal Mart  in College Station, TX once about 10 years ago was told they didn't do heavy vehicles like mine.  I found out I could take the oil and filter into our Chevy dealer and they would do it for $25.  As I get older, it gets much easier to let someone else do the work.

Larry
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS

KandT

• ---
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »
I have a company car so I use a national name shop to change the oil and add fluids.  The windshield wiper fluid wouldn't work when it dropped below freezing.  Once it warmed up I tired and it worked normally.  No smell to it.  Added my own stuff and pumped a bunch through.  Could smell the new stuff plain as day inside the car.

Could they be so greedy as to water it down?  People's safety could be at risk!
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »
I have a company car so I use a national name shop to change the oil and add fluids.  The windshield wiper fluid wouldn't work when it dropped below freezing.  Once it warmed up I tired and it worked normally.  No smell to it.  Added my own stuff and pumped a bunch through.  Could smell the new stuff plain as day inside the car.

Could they be so greedy as to water it down?  People's safety could be at risk!

Years ago when I was a penny pincher, I would water mine down from spring thru fall. 50/50. Once winter came around, I would use it straight.
Now I've heard that if you buy a gallon of washer fluid in the south like FL, it won't be as strong as the antifreeze up north. Not sure on that one though.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 04:28:09 PM »
Not all winwindshield washer fluid is antifreeze. Some of it is just soapy water.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »
Here in TX, the windshield washer fluid that's sold in stores in the summer has no antifreeze and is only safe from down to 32 degrees F.  We make enough trip up north in the winter that I don't want to use any that'll freeze above -20, so I buy all mine when we're in the north country.
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS

CharlesinGA

• ---
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »
I know it can start some pretty big arguments, but buy your own filter. Fram is the worst possible choice. If you have ever cut them open and compared brands, you would know how cheaply made they are inside. I gave up on them years ago after changing about three or four in a row, trying to get one that the anti-drain back valve (Ford) worked in. Oil would drain out at shutdown and next start was 15 seconds without oil pressure.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 04:57:23 PM »
Fram is the worst possible choice.
Charles

I agree 10000%.  I'd run without a filter before I'd run a Fram.  They come apart, plug up stuff, and you never know until your engine craps out.  Then who disects it for cardboard trash plugging holes.

Personally, I'm a Wix guy

KandT

• ---
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 08:30:27 PM »
I know it can start some pretty big arguments, but buy your own filter. Fram is the worst possible choice. If you have ever cut them open and compared brands, you would know how cheaply made they are inside. I gave up on them years ago after changing about three or four in a row, trying to get one that the anti-drain back valve (Ford) worked in. Oil would drain out at shutdown and next start was 15 seconds without oil pressure.

Charles

They must sell literally millions of filters.  While they may not be formula one quality, I doubt they do any actual damage.  Where are all these engines dying anyways?  I see cars and trucks and Rv's falling apart with engines just fine.  Maybe a PCV valve or something but almost never the oil covered parts.
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

John Stephens

• ---
  • Vacations begin when you leave the driveway
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »
Bill - Considering Walmart is about the cheapest place to get an oil change in a car, I have to ask the question: what were they going to charge you for your 8.1 Workhorse? I'm changing my own oil at the moment because I'm tired of paying $130 to have an RV mechanic do it.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2018 Chevy Equinox

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »
Bill - Considering Walmart is about the cheapest place to get an oil change in a car, I have to ask the question: what were they going to charge you for your 8.1 Workhorse? I'm changing my own oil at the moment because I'm tired of paying $130 to have an RV mechanic do it.
I didn't check the last time John but a few months earlier I had priced it and I believe it was $33 plus tax.  May have been $36 but most local car joints are charging $39.  They said it would be the same as a car plus any extra oil it needed.

Bill
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 04:09:57 PM »
So why are RV mechanics charging $100 more than this?
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »
The last Wal-mart I was in charged $50 to change the oil and lube a gas motorhome.  Why are they charging less than the independent shops?  For the same reasons they sell soda and groceries for less than 7-11 ... volume and the efficiencies that come from a large operation vs. a boutique shop.

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 04:45:37 PM »
That may be the answer for some shops, but what about your CW's and high volume mechanics that you have to book a week or two out just for an oil change? These guys have the volume, so that isn't the answer. They just want the money. If I can get a lube and oil change for $50, I'm going.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 06:34:19 PM »
That may be the answer for some shops, but what about your CW's and high volume mechanics that you have to book a week or two out just for an oil change? These guys have the volume, so that isn't the answer. They just want the money. If I can get a lube and oil change for $50, I'm going.
It does make one wonder how unscrewing a drain plug, removing a filter and then putting on a new filter and refilling the oil can be any more expensive than doing the same to a car.  But I have an RV mech who charges $115/hr for anything he does and if it takes a second guy to help for just a few minutes, you get charged an extra hour for that.  They disputed that but I showed it to him on two different bills and he deducted an hour on my next visit.  Problem is CW is $129/hr and you can't even talk to those jokers.  What we need is a Jiffy Lube for RVs..............lol

Bill
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 10:41:32 PM »
Bill - You're absolutely right. My previous mechanic charges $140/hr and my present one charges $130.00. I know that the 8.1L takes more oil than your standard auto engine, but if a high school wrench monkey can change your oil at a Jiffy Lube in 15 minutes and check all your fluid levels plus lube in the same time, why does an RV mechanic charge an hour's labor rate to change the oil when it takes maybe 20 minutes plus the cost of the oil and filter?

I had planned on putting synthetic oil in my 8/1L the next time I changed the oil myself, but if Walmart will change it and lube for $50, I'll stick with the standard oil for a while longer.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

woodman1

• ---
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 01:50:37 PM »
At Walmart you can bring your own oil and filter.

newfurrows

• ---
  • Dan Nelson
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 02:07:20 PM »
Don't know if you have them but the neighborhood Mr. Lube does my class C.  Big door, pit and all.  Don't remember the price.  Don't care.  They do a good job.
Happy Motoring
Dan Nelson with Tibby the tan colored dog and Jazz the red border collie (backup drivers)
1979 Vanguard "SECURITY"
[email protected]
780-966-4410

Daffy

• ---
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 04:01:04 PM »
Guess if I can drive it I can change the oil and lube it(greasing btw has become a lost art with all the new stuff on the road made to be thrown away because of no zerks)

Climbing under it also gives me the opportunity to see other issues if there are any.

Dang few folks I trust with a wrench anymore... But that's another story.. Craftsman tools are one way, only take things apart....
1999 Itasca Sunflyer 36L

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 04:47:55 PM »
Guess if I can drive it I can change the oil and lube it(greasing btw has become a lost art with all the new stuff on the road made to be thrown away because of no zerks)

Climbing under it also gives me the opportunity to see other issues if there are any.

Dang few folks I trust with a wrench anymore... But that's another story.. Craftsman tools are one way, only take things apart....
Some of us are getting to the age we don't want to crawl around under a coach anymore. I'm sure not thrilled about it, even on the car or pickup. Getting down isn't the problem, but getting back up sure is. Then ya have to go thru the trouble of getting rid of the old oil and filter.

I lost an engine in a 81 Bonneville many moons ago because of a fram filter. Haven't bought one since. Fram was having a LOT of problems in the mid to late 80s. I use AC delco or Wix now. 
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

Boonieman

• ---
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
Bill N,
         Donít know you at all, but you strike me as a really good guy. It seems to me that you were patient with the Walmart employees trying to do your oil change, even when it didnít work out.
          One of my first jobs was at a gas station (full service service station). We didnít just pump gas for customers, we checked fluids, tire pressures, washed windows, etc.) We had some great regular customers and we always bent over backwards to make sure they got all the service they needed, and more.
           Then there was the other 50% of people. We could just sense that they held us gas pumpers in disdain.... they were rude, acted like we were stupid, and obviously considered themselves superior in life. Even as young people we could feel that. The service those kind of people received was a direct reflection of how they made us feel about them. As a young man it really soured me on the general public.
            Most everybody in life wants to have a great job with great benefits and feel good about themselves. It doesnít always work out that way. I try to think of that when waitresses or anyone else is providing a service to me, I know they would most likely prefer to be doing something else. I remember how that felt.
            A lot of times the same ones that always complain of crappy service on vehicles or anything else are the same ones that find a hair in their gravy. Wonder why? I try to be respectful of everybody, except for the rare few that just donít deserve it. Kinda off topic maybe, but I wouldnít be afraid to use Walmart at all. Beats laying in the snow under my truck. 😄
2016 Chevrolet Dually/Duramax
2011 Fuzion 322
2016 Harley Trike
3 cherished dogs, Moo, Molly, Mia the one eyed pup 😊
Originally from South Dakota, currently reside in Kentucky

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 05:51:34 AM »
Thanks Boonieman.  You echo my sentiments.  I have 'been there and done that' when it comes to doing a job that I did not want to do.  I especially respect waitresses and try to leave them a tip commensurate with their service but never leave anything that would embarrass them or me.  When I retired from the Air Force, I built myself a nice home in the wide open spaces of North Dakota and then a local farmer asked me if I would like to work for him during the summer season.  I have a Masters Degree in Industrial Management but I applied for one job where I was told my degree was just too old to be useful.....lol. Anyway, one day when working on the potato farm warehouse, we were cleaning out the supposedly empty bins of those potatoes left in the corners.  Most were rotten by then and the maggots were crawling all over them.  I took a moment to think - Why did I want this job?  Answer - I didn't so I moved on and went to work as the manager of a dry fertililzer plant.  It was tough work but, to me, a lot more rewarding.  Yep, I use Walmart for a lot of stuff.  Good grief, they are on about every corner in my neck of the woods - 8 within 20 miles of the house plus 2 Sams and 5 or 6 Neighborhood Walmarts.  Hard to miss them and the closest one is the only one in the area that has a wide and tall door and a pit for oil changes.  Most have the pits but not the wide/tall doors.

Bill
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 06:02:24 AM »
X2 I learned early in life that you get the respect you give. The company I work for has quite a bit of training for their management. It starts with basic stuff, as far as hands-on, nuts and bolts stuff. It then throws the Arbinger program at you, and really opens your eyes as to what the company expects of you. And believe me, the management of the company from the the gentleman that owns the company on down lives and operates by those principals. Great company to work for.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 06:25:27 AM »
I think the majority of us learned a long time ago that the person telling you no at a business is not the person making the rules but they are the ones that have to enforce them. If employees are treated like crap then most likely the customers will be treated the same. There are some good folks working at Walmart but for the most part Walmart and most other retail or customer service type business employees have no loyalty to the company therefore could care less if we patronize that business. Customer service is all but dead in this country. Yes, we can all name a few places or a few people at a few places that really care and will bend over backwards to help you. It is my opinion that the decline in customer service is directly proportional to the decline of the family run business.
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

newfurrows

• ---
  • Dan Nelson
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 04:49:41 PM »
Boonieman, Appreciate what you said.  A young waitress once said to me "No one aspires to be a waitress".  I try to remember that when dealing with people who may not be quite where they wanted to be in life. 
Happy Motoring
1979 Vanguard "SECURITY"
[email protected]
780-966-4410

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 04:01:13 PM »

Charles

On a motorcycle forum I used to frequent regularly, the mention of a Fram filter on a Honda motorcycle often created huge arguments. I never can understand how the discussion of oil or oil filters can turn into hatred and name calling.
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »
I heard a new one today when I took my 27 ft. motorhome down to the local Walmart for an oil change.

"Sorry.  We can't work on anything longer than 24 ft because they goofed when they built the pit.  Anything bigger than that is too heavy and will collapse the sides of the pit."

This was in Pahrump, NV.  So I got a couple of good Wix filters at O'Reilly's on the other side of the parking lot and will change my own oil tomorrow. 

As I was checking out, I told the clerk I would get my oil at Walmart because their prices were about half of what O'Reilly's was asking.  He said he had already mentioned that to their head office.  The higher-ups wouldn't let him change the shelf prices, but did give permission to price-match.  He pulled a list of Walmart's oil prices out of a drawer and gave me the lower price.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:55:18 PM by Lou Schneider »

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 06:32:27 AM »
I heard a new one today when I took my 27 ft. motorhome down to the local Walmart for an oil change.

"Sorry.  We can't work on anything longer than 24 ft because they goofed when they built the pit.  Anything bigger than that is too heavy and will collapse the sides of the pit."

This was in Pahrump, NV.  So I got a couple of good Wix filters at O'Reilly's on the other side of the parking lot and will change my own oil tomorrow. 

As I was checking out, I told the clerk I would get my oil at Walmart because their prices were about half of what O'Reilly's was asking.  He said he had already mentioned that to their head office.  The higher-ups wouldn't let him change the shelf prices, but did give permission to price-match.  He pulled a list of Walmart's oil prices out of a drawer and gave me the lower price.

Then why not just post a sign that says "We will price match any like product from any store"? Why piss people off with higher prices and then lower them when the customer complains? Well, I know why. So they can still get the higher price from those that don't ask.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 07:25:10 AM »
Got the price list from Walmart Auto dept manager:  Sign says reg price is $29.95 and High mileage vehicles is $34.95.  I would get the $34.95 price - Don't ask me why.  But, if I bring my own filter, they will deduct $2.10 for the price of the filter they use.  I will bring my own filter.  Actually not bad pricing compared to other places in town -  reg car oil change $39.95 at most. Boy I long for the days of the $16 oil change or better yet the ability to do it myself.

Bill
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 07:33:41 AM »
I long for the $9.95 oil and filter change. We used to change our own and pour the old oil around the fence line to kill the weeds.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2018, 09:46:31 AM »
I had a oil change on the Jeep a few months back. They were quick, friendly and did a good job. I always inspect under the hood after a service to check for any loose parts.  I could see the new filter, and no problems since. And the price was  good.  I had originally went there to get warranty coverage on the battery that I purchased there nearly 3 years ago. 

I was on the road in some other state and they were the biggest shop in town at the time.  They checked the battery that showed bad. They replaced the battery with a new one, no charge and did the oil. I was out in less than an hour. 
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 08:05:29 AM »
Well I finally got my Walmart oil change.  I brought my own AC oil filter ($5.50) and they gave me a $2.09 discount for not having to use one of theirs.  BUT, whereas on my first attempt they had quoted a $29.95 price; yesterday the shop manager said he apologized but that the RV price is for $50 - which I paid.  BUT they gave it a real good job and even greased 13 zirks which I know other shops had totally skipped.  They put all my tires at proper air (they were cold from sitting in freezing air for a bit) and even offered to vacuum out the inside - turned that down.  When they pulled it out, the boss told me it would be ready in two weeks as soon as the guys came back from their vacation in it.......lol.  Note:  Not all Walmarts have the high door to accomodate RVs so if you want to use them, be sure to ask first.  I am happy with the service I got and will go back again.

Speaking of airing the tires I have noted a problem in that area.  Being a gas coach, I use the gas lanes at both truck strops and regular stations.  Most stations now (not truck) do not have air hoses at the pumps but off to the side somewhere and they do not go high enough to service tires needing 85-100 psi.  So I have to try a workaround at home by using my own compressor (small one) which takes two or three cycles of running or use a little jumper box I have for 12 volt jumps and also a small air compressor that does go to 100 psi.  I need to find a place where I can gas and add to  tire pressures at the same time.
Bill
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:11:27 AM by Bill N »
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 10:43:27 AM »
If you have a generator get a 110volt high pressure compressor like this one.  That way you'll never have to worry about finding one, will the chuck fit your tires, is the gauge accurate etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-150-PSI-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor-C2002/203162815
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter,  mediocre guitar player.
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 09:55:08 PM »

This was in Pahrump, NV. 

Lou,

I found the same thing at the Walmart nearest to where I store my coach in Florida. The mechanic said when they poured the concrete, they used a test weight of 8,000 lbs instead of 24,000. And the other Walmart by me doesn't have a pit. They use a lift and it will only hold 16,000 lbs. So I'm back to changing my own.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

Drifterrider

• ---
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »
So why are RV mechanics charging $100 more than this?

Because they can.  Wouldn't you charge more for your work if you could find someone willing to pay it?  I certainly would.

Madcow

• ---
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2018, 09:53:11 AM »
I guess depending on class of MH we are talking about, but I would prefer to take a MH to a commercial heavy truck lube shop for an oil change.  At least when they have it over the pit, they do a complete underneath inspection, chassis greasing, etc   Costs a little more, but you get far more and the risk of a screw up is reduced.

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2018, 12:02:31 PM »
I guess depending on class of MH we are talking about, but I would prefer to take a MH to a commercial heavy truck lube shop for an oil change.

Finally! Someone who feels the same as I. I was starting to think I was all by myself on this one.
Back in the day, I was a state certified auto mechanic. OOPS...I mean technician. I almost forgot about the PC term for the occupation changing over the years.
Anyhow, I knew all about cars and trucks and what makes them tick. But not squat about anything bigger and/or heavier duty.
I got out of that trade when I started driving class 7 and 8 trucks. Over the past 38 years of driving the big rigs, I have learned that the place to take a vehicle for repair/maintenance is a place that actually knows what the heck they are looking at and working with!
You can take your chances taking your MH to a Walmart or other service station that tells you they can handle it. You may get great service too. But there so many differences between the type of vehicles they typically work on and what you are bringing to them can mean a mistake or two that may lead to more trouble later. If no mistake made, maybe a potential problem overlooked because the tech didn't know what to look for working on a vehicle he/she isn't trained for.

Yes it cost a bit more. And yes there are garages of the heavy duty variety that will do a crappy job and still take your money.
The trick is to find reputable shops that works on your type of vehicle on an almost daily basis. The techs that work on these heavier duty chassis should know what to look for and notice potential problems long before a novice Walmart employee gets their paws on your rig. As well as knowing the job you brought the rig in for was done right.

I'm willing to pay a little more for confidence.   
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2018, 12:31:55 PM »
I have learned that the place to take a vehicle for repair/maintenance is a place that actually knows what the heck they are looking at and working with!
The trick is to find reputable shops that works on your type of vehicle on an almost daily basis.

And that is really the hopeful result with any RV repair. But reputable and competent is the challenge. I will use WalMart for the Jeep oil change, no problem.  But for the Bus, it's going to the big boy shop.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2018, 01:44:53 PM »
Well.  My last oil change was at Speedco in Kenly NC. When I stopped at my next fuel stop and restarted the engine I got a "check engine " light.  I stopped the engine and called Freightliner.  Rick at Freightliner talked me through getting the code. He then ,looked up the code and told me it had to do with the initial position of the EGR valve and I could continue on my way. So here I am in Miami Florida and just checked the oil. The oil is about 1/2" above the full mark on the dipstick. So I.need to drain a couple of quarts out.  Or get another oil change 900 miles from the last one.
So much for places that specialize in bigger vehicles.  I won't be using Speedco again.
Apex, NC
2018 Ford Edge SEL

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2018, 03:46:31 PM »
Which brings up my point about dipsticks. Don't blame Speedco, they may very well have used the amount the engine manufacturer specified.

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »
My dipstick is accurate. I blame Speedco. Or at least, the guy who did it.
Apex, NC
2018 Ford Edge SEL

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2018, 04:35:34 PM »
If your dipstick has been proven to be correct, the yeah, the guy at Speedco messed up. A respectful call to the shop foreman should follow.  May have been an inexperienced person, or a person that just bad work. Either way, if the foreman or manager knows, they can do something about it. They can't change things they don't know about.

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »
I took my 2007 Diesel truck into the Wal Mart  in College Station, TX once about 10 years ago was told they didn't do heavy vehicles like mine.  I found out I could take the oil and filter into our Chevy dealer and they would do it for $25.  As I get older, it gets much easier to let someone else do the work.

Larry

I hear ya Larry. I buy my Oil & Filter (fuel filters too) and have Ford do the OC. I've found by doing that, about every third OCI, is a Freebie, labor wise.. as I build up Service Points, between our Fusion and the F-350. The No Mess, No Oil disposal fees is nice, also.  :)) :)

Joe
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Cat in charge.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »
I didn't think I needed to add that the guy who ran the oil change at the Walmart and actually did the pit work on my coach worked as the shop manager of a commercial truck shop for 22 years until they went out of business.  The Walmart pit was longer than the motorhome and he told me he checked the entire length of the coach as he was greasing the zirks that looked like they had not been touched in years. I watched most of that procedure through the shop windows.  When my tranny blew two years ago the entire under side of the coach was coated with tranny oil.  I have had two lube/oil/filter changes since then yet not a single zirk showed any evidence of having been greased.  All were still nicely coated with tranny fluid and the dirt it attracted. So I fail to see how a commercial shop could have done me any better for a simple oil change on a gas coach.  Sad to see folks degrade an employee just because he works for Walmart. 

Bill
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2018, 07:12:31 AM »
I didn't think I needed to add that the guy who ran the oil change at the Walmart and actually did the pit work on my coach worked as the shop manager of a commercial truck shop for 22 years until they went out of business. 
Sad to see folks degrade an employee just because he works for Walmart. 

Good point. But some might find it odd that a shop manager of 22 years is now changing oil at a Walmart.
This particular Walmart may be very lucky to have this guy. I hope that is the case.
But one having the service done really has to wonder.

Like SargeW mentions...
It's a challenge.
Mark

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2018, 07:54:37 AM »
Good point. But some might find it odd that a shop manager of 22 years is now changing oil at a Walmart.
This particular Walmart may be very lucky to have this guy. I hope that is the case.
But one having the service done really has to wonder.

Like SargeW mentions...
It's a challenge.
Judging from his looks I would say he is also on Social Security and likes what he is doing. Not many shops are hiring senior citizens.

Bill
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2018, 08:38:40 AM »
Another good point.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »
I hear ya Larry. I buy my Oil & Filter (fuel filters too) and have Ford do the OC. I've found by doing that, about every third OCI, is a Freebie, labor wise.. as I build up Service Points, between our Fusion and the F-350. The No Mess, No Oil disposal fees is nice, also.  :)) :)

Joe

I had two free oil changes coming from my Ford dealer. 
Went for the first and when I got home the oil was way over the full line.
Took it back and they said now it is OK.
When I got home, it was still way over the full line.
Drained the oil and found it was still 2-1/4 quarts too much.
Sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs, they said engine OK, but it is the WRONG oil.
Never went back for my second oil change, I can't afford it!

I drop off my used oil at an Amish farm, they use it to heat the barn.

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2018, 09:41:50 AM »
Because they can.  Wouldn't you charge more for your work if you could find someone willing to pay it?  I certainly would.

No, I wouldn't. Gouging the public by charging more for something than it is worth is what drives up inflation and helps destroy the economy. If you charge more than you should, you're only being greedy and thinking only of yourself.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2018, 10:36:32 AM »
Businesses charge what the market is willing to tolerate. Sure they take into account all of their costs; R&D, manufacture costs, marketing, transportation, then they tack on what their research tells them we will tolerate.

No, I wouldn't. Gouging the public by charging more for something than it is worth is what drives up inflation and helps destroy the economy. If you charge more than you should, you're only being greedy and thinking only of yourself.

Worth is an arbitrary number assigned to goods and services. Everybody has a different monetary number when thinking of worth. A great example of worth are RV's. IMHO RV's are no where near worth what we pay for them.  And almost everyone complains about the price and workmanship but we continue to purchase them.
Anybody with any kind of business acumen charges what the consumer is willing to pay. Maybe we should demand that prices on all goods and services be negotiable.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:38:46 AM by Oldgator73 »
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2018, 12:28:41 PM »
In most businesses, cost, labor and profit are the three items that must be considered when determining what your bottom line is going to be and how much you should charge for an item or service. You're right when you say that worth, or value, is arbitrary in the mind's of those having to pay it. For people with money to burn and that can afford a million dollar coach, paying a "little" extra profit will mean nothing. But for the people who have to watch every dollar they spend and still try to afford owning a coach, the mindset is quite different and the value of anything paid for will be examined much closer. Is this something I can find a better price on? Can I do it myself? When shopping for a better price, one may find a rather large disparity between one shop and another. Then, you must determine why the price is so much different. Is there less expertise involved that might make you think later that you only get what you pay for, or is the price different simply because one shop is greedier than the other? Not every business will charge the highest price they think they can get away with. Some people actually believe that honesty and helping out your neighbor is more important than making themselves richer faster.

A good example is the shop I used to frequent. The owner retired and left the shop to his chief mechanic that knows absolutely nothing about customer service or how to effectively run a business. When I took my coach into him to find out why my basement a/c wasn't working properly, he quoted me $1,000 just to diagnose the problem when I knew I could go to another shop and have the diagnosis performed for no charge. I went to the other shop and had the repair done for $1,800 when the first shop would have charged me closer to $3,000. That shop, prior to the old owner retiring, used to have an average of 65 RV's parked in front of it every day of season down here in Florida. Now, it has an average of 10-12 every time I drive by. Conversely, the shop I now go to is so busy from taking on the customers from the other shop, you have to book an appointment a month in advance. Honesty and fair pricing does pay off for those who try it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:30:39 PM by John Stephens »
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2018, 12:58:42 PM »
There are myriad reasons why one dealership or business will charge more or less. I would posit RV dealerships in Indiana and Michigan can charge less because their transportation costs are much less. Other factors are costs per SF for retail space, taxes, and it could be that the customers in one locale demand lower prices by simply not buying higher priced items. Amazon, Overstock, and other online shopping outlets reduce costs by building warehouses in low tax, low wage locales. And we save money by paying no tax or shipping on purchases.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife