Motorhome LP Tank Age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Hello,

Couldn't find the answer when I search messages on LP tank age so here is the question. When I had my tank filled today, I noticed in the office where you pay for the fill, they will not fill LP tanks that are over 12 year old. So I asked them if that included what was on my motorhome. They didn't know the answer so I now pose the question here, is there a limit to how old your tank can be on your motorhome and if they should be replaced at some time of ownership? Consider the location near the road, do they sustain enough road ware that it would be advisable to replace them?

I realize this is more of a question for older RV's but still important to us who own them. Thanks in advance!

Almost all motorhomes have ASME propane tanks which have no expiration dates, this is compared to camping trailers, bbq grills, etc. which use DOT propane cylinders which must be recertified if over 12 years of age.  People that sell propane should be trained in this stuff, but sadly it is common to find that they are not.  ASME tanks are much thicker than DOT portable cylinders and very rarely suffer enough damage that they would need to be replaced, though occasionally it does happen.  They may however need to be repainted from time to time.

Hi Isaac-1,

Thank you for the information! That was my thinking too that the place should know if or if not to fill a tank on a motorhome. I'll let them know next time I am there, if it is of concern to them.

I'll check my tank to see if it needs cleaned and painted. I have cleaned it a few times but I haven't really checked the lower section other than a quick glance.

Back
Top Bottom