Stealth camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JosephGrey

Hey there,

I realize this is a very old topic but I am very new here, so maybe the two together can make it work out... :) 

I have been street camping four nights a week for about a year now.  It has really worked out great for me.  Zero problems.  But I am setup for it.  I have a 2008 Chevy Express Cargo van that I have turned into a camper on the inside.  I am totally self contained, though I do drain gray water to the street.  Not much grey water in my use, maybe as much as a pint on a typical night.

The van is setup with two solar panels up on the roof and disguised in.  I have four deep cycle batteries.  I cut a hole in the floor and dropped a basket behind the rear axil that holds two twenty pound propane tanks on a switchover valve.

Now that I have been doing this for a bit I have gotten pretty good at spotting other stealth campers and talked to a few of them.  It is a very safe way to live on the cheap.  I can park around plumbing or electrical shops.  Or the best is small industrial parks surrounded by residential neighborhoods.  Quiet, good police protection.  :)  This has been for me the perfect answer for an unexpected job change.

--jg

Hahaha! Love it!

I have long wondered about this for an overnight stay. Not all Walmarts allow overnight camping for various reasons. I have seen semi trucks parked in commercial Lots close to Walmarts, and I am sure that they were not just unloading.

I prefer to pay if I have to, to dump. And commercial truck stops are also safe, though tend to be a bit noisy. So far, we have not been in a situation where we had to try the stealth approach. But it is an interesting option. :) . In any case, we have a 30 foot travel trailer and a 1-ton crew cab long box truck. Not much stealth in that! ?

I much prefer boondocking, but the need often arises in and around cities. Here is a fun video with quite a few stealth camping tips.

Attachments

• Stealth Living in your vehicle.png
    Stealth Living in your vehicle.png
    476.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Sorry, this is a disgusting way to live. There are dozens in Salem and Portland and most of them are a blight on the streets.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom