Safety in windy conditions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OSUTRIKERS

Just wondering what many if you think regarding safely driving in windy conditions, in a motorhome?  At what wind speeds do you consider not driving? I mainly only consider when the winds are cross winds, not tailwinds or headwinds. The highest for me was in New Mexico and gusts were hitting close to 50.  Never again!
Thanks

I don't recall being on a road with a tail or head wind that a curve didn't put me into a cross wind at some point on the road.

True, but so far I?ve been more aware of the crosswinds.  Especially keeping an eye on those semis.    Wondered how you like towing the Colorado?  Is it towed 4 down?

I would get uncomfortable at around 30 mph crosswinds. Also, I find that gusty conditions are worse than steady winds. I can steer into a steadywind, but gusts require continual alertness and intervention as the side pressure comes and goes.

However, I also don't think you can generalize for all motorhomes or even all Class A's.  Length, wheelbase, height, weight, and suspension type and quality all have significant effects.  I know my American Tradition DP was a whole loy eaiser to drive in strong winds than our previous two gas chassis coaches, even though both of those gas rigs had pretty good chassis specs for the size & weight of the coach.

I pulled off last week because I was tired of fighting the gusts. It just wore me out. I have no way of knowing the wind speed or gust factor. Wind gusts are almost always at an angle to the prevailing wind.

As Gary pointed out each coach is different. I drove winds on the way to Q that I would have not been able to handle before I did suspension upgrades.

It would be cool to have an instrument that showed wind direction and speed.

Tom

As others have said above, a lot depends on the coach. I've driven the Beaver (and my Ventana) comfortably in winds that would have had me shut down with the Bounder I had. Weight, CG, wheelbase, rear overhang all play a part in how a coach handles winds. And, as Gary says, gusty crosswinds are the worst, since it's a constant, unpredictable correction that is needed.

Until I got a DP, I wondered how some other motorhomes passed me when I was having so much trouble with the gusty winds, but when I got a DP I found out -- there's a big difference.

everybody and every rig is different. there is no set mph if you are not comfortable get off the road and sit it out.

Many factors but only on advice.

I have driven in winds that approached "Scary" for me and ... Well I was chatting by radio to another ham who was headed for a campground not far from me but decided it was getting too harry. (I did get to mine safely but .... Well he had a lot farther to go so this happened after I dropped anchor.er, jacks)

He called to the CG to tell 'em he'd be a day late.

The park told him, No problem, you can not get in anyway, A big Class A. LEAVING THE PARK (We are talking like 5-10MPH here.) and rolled over to take a nap, blocking the entire drive so no admittance till the vehicle recovery folks got it on it's feet and outta' there.

Factors that affect are size of RV.. Suspension, AGE (of suspension, mine was new) How much "Stuff" you are hauling (MOre weight in basement GOOD) and where the breeze is coming from

I've driven in 100MPH + but the wind was DEAD ASTERN I mean the tumble weeds were going straight down the freeway and passing me like I had the brakes on (Got GREAT MPG) that was not scary.

What WAS scary was when I got off far lower speeds and RV shaking all night.

The advice. Oh and this applies to snow storms too:

IF it gets scary.... PARK IT

Did that in a blizzard.. Parked, had a safe night, got up the next day after the storm ended and the roads were cleared and the news was talking about all the cars in the ditch.. THEY WERE NOT KIDDING.
As we swiftly found when we got back on the freeway... We had no problem We parked while they ditched their rides.

Back
Top Bottom